• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Some questions for anyone with a broken GuHong V4

teh yoshi

Did yours come with washers below the springs?

Where and when did you buy it?

Also, was it black or stickerless?

I had a black GuHong V4 that broke very easily, despite not using it all that much and was actually using that cube to practice turning as lightly as possible. I found that it did not have washers, so the center piece got ground down very easily by the spring. All the other center pieces look like they're hanging by a thread.
Later, I bought two more GuHongs, a black one from an American cube shop and a stickerless one from AliExpress. The "new" black one from the American shop came out bone dry with powder residue from the factory lube. It also did not come with washers. I'm guessing this one came from a very early batch.
The stickerless one from China arrived somewhat lubed and also came with washers below the springs, so probably from a later batch. My guess is that DaYan didn't do all that much to address the breakage issue, but added washers in hopes of protecting the already thin plastic and lengthening its lifespan. For now, I cannot guess if added washers is a stickered vs. stickerless thing or an early batch vs. later batch thing.

(To help my "new" black GuHong, I added MoYu washers, and they fit perfectly. Here's hoping it doesn't die as easily as the previous one did...)

Last edited:

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
The GuHong V4 is an unreliable puzzle, so don't feel bad that yours broke. Because I don't own one I don't know what's right for it, but I hope the MoYu washers help with it.

povlhp

Just checked my multi-colored stickerless. No washers.
But looking at the cube I think the main problem is the length of the tube around the screw. The length is there to limit travel, but since it is pretty tight I think the screw in the tube works as a lever stressing the whole bottom of the pieces. Breaking usually tears off center tube towards one corner. But I am not sure if the dead ones has a washer or not.
I assume they did not, and I can imagine rough turning would be a problem eating plastic. Guess I have to get my 3D printer fixed and print some washers.

povlhp

Will look in my GTS3M box when I get around to that. See if it is there. But not sure.
Or maybe take from one of my less favoured cubes like the YLM