• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Silicone spray. Does it have to be CRC?

James Ludlow

Premium Member
WCA
2009LUDL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't used the Maplins, but I have heard it gives a gummy feel.

Tableau is/was popular.

Halfords sells one. Takes ages to dry, but is pretty good after that.

Comma do one. Again takes a while to dry, but otherwise okay. Not the best, but okay.

Lidl sells one too - W5 - gives a gummy feel. I'll try and chase up a link for you.

There are others, of course.

Last edited:

CubicNL

WCA
2011WILD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it doesn't matter which one you pick, as long as it's silicone spray and not something like WD-40...
I got my silicone spray at the bicycle shop (I don't know if it's named like that in English) and it was fine, so I think every silicone spray will work.

n00bCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, tried Tableau, but I'm dissapointed. It says 'dry lube', but after spraying the pieces I left them for an hour and they still weren't dry. And I'm sure I didn't spray too much on them.

Since it said on the can that you can wipe off any excess with a cloth, I did that, and put the cube back together again, but it hasn't made that much difference to the way the cube feels.

What has gone wrong?

cyoubx

YouTube
Visit Channel
Some cubes respond better to silicone than others. It might not have anything to do with the silicone, but rather the cube itself.

n00bCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, as I've been constantly working the cube, it seems to have got quite better, but still nothing like the kind of improvement I expected.

Do you think I did the right thing in wiping of the excess, or should I have left it on, put the cube back together and then worked it in for a while?

cyoubx

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, as I've been constantly working the cube, it seems to have got quite better, but still nothing like the kind of improvement I expected.

Do you think I did the right thing in wiping of the excess, or should I have left it on, put the cube back together and then worked it in for a while?

Without a control, there's no way to know which one would have been better. You'll just have to try both and see which one you like better.

maxim1914

even though CRC says its not plastic safe, if you spray the pieces seperately and let it dry, it does wonders for a cube, not to mention its only $2 at wal-mart.