• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should Curvy Copter be added to the Weekly Competition?

Should Curvy Copter be added to the Weekly Competition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to make sure everyone understands, because my original post here was originally improperly worded in one place - no more than 2 events will be added this year. Since it seems likely that more than two events will have enough votes to meet the minimum requirements, this becomes a race for the most votes - only the top 2 according to yes votes will be added. Fewer no votes will be used to break ties.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Mirror blocks is in second place currently, if I'm not mistaken. There are separate yes categories that I believe also count for the two types of mirror blocks events.
Good catch. Humph. Mirror blocks no restrictions, as I read it, has 22 votes. That’s silly. Blind no inspection at least adds something new.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mirror blocks is in second place currently, if I'm not mistaken. There are separate yes categories that I believe also count for the two types of mirror blocks events.
I believe you were correct at the time you wrote it, and you are correct as to how the votes count. As of the time I'm writing this, 15 puzzle has gone ahead of mirror blocks. But all three events (curvy copter, mirror blocks, and 15 puzzle) are very close to each other.
Good catch. Humph. Mirror blocks no restrictions, as I read it, has 22 votes. That’s silly. Blind no inspection at least adds something new.
I agree with this perspective, which is why I changed my vote from a Yes for both versions to a Yes for blind no inspection only. I'm torn, though - I like the idea of mirror blocks blind no inspection as an event, but I also like the idea of curvy copter being added as the first true jumbling puzzle. And I very much also like speed FMC.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I agree with this perspective, which is why I changed my vote from a Yes for both versions to a Yes for blind no inspection only. I'm torn, though - I like the idea of mirror blocks blind no inspection as an event, but I also like the idea of curvy copter being added as the first true jumbling puzzle. And I very much also like speed FMC.

If 3 events get overwhelming votes(like way more than the needed amount), will you consider adding 3 instead of 2 events?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If 3 events get overwhelming votes(like way more than the needed amount), will you consider adding 3 instead of 2 events?
At the moment it looks like one is overwhelming, while the other 3 are about equal. So it might wind up being 4 instead of 2.

I'm not sure what I will do. I would probably at least consider adding even 4 instead of 2 events if they were all overwhelming. But the other factor is I need to build the support for the events in the software, so I would have to decide how practical that is. I might decide I need to stick to the 2 events limit no matter what, just for practical reasons. Part of that is likely to depend on how busy I am when the time comes.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
At the moment it looks like one is overwhelming, while the other 3 are about equal. So it might wind up being 4 instead of 2.

I'm not sure what I will do. I would probably at least consider adding even 4 instead of 2 events if they were all overwhelming. But the other factor is I need to build the support for the events in the software, so I would have to decide how practical that is. I might decide I need to stick to the 2 events limit no matter what, just for practical reasons. Part of that is likely to depend on how busy I am when the time comes.
I just want to note that once you decide which method of notating 15 puzzle to use, 15 puzzle (I believe) would be very easy to add on account that it is just ULRD

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just want to note that once you decide which method of notating 15 puzzle to use, 15 puzzle (I believe) would be very easy to add on account that it is just ULRD
Assuming I can get scramblers from somewhere else for each event, all of the events (other than Speed FMC, which is much more complicated) are relatively equally easy to implement. I have not actually looked at how hard it will be to integrate the curvy copter scrambler that was published here yet; it is probably a bit harder to implement than anything I would find for 15 puzzle. Easiest of all would be mirror blocks, since it would just be reusing the current 3x3x3 scrambler with no changes - there is very little barrier to adding mirror blocks.

Speed FMC is really a mess to implement. Modifications to the timer, new odd way for storing a result, changes to the statistics pages that could get quite complicated. All current events have results that can be stored in a single field. To do that with speed FMC, I would need some sort of trick like is currently used with multiBLD to store both the number of moves and the time. And if I do have such a trick, the current code is sloppy enough that it will require changes in many places in the code to support it.

Sion

Oh goodness! I'm really hoping we can surpass fifteen puzzle! I really want to see curvy copter this year.

if not, I hope we will allow three this time around.