• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shengshou or AoChuang?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
After using my AoChuang for almost a month I did a solve on my shengshou yesterday. I was disgusted how it locked.. LOL.. I really prefer AoChuang.
LOL, same here. My ShengShou was good for figuring out 5x5 but I never bothered to time myself on it because for me it was never a "speed" cube. The AoCuang was that out of the box.

Of course, for those who are dedicated enough to spend a lot of time modding and breaking in, it would be different.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
The MoYu AoChuang has just recently come out. Does everyone agree that the AoChuang is better than the shengshou?
It's probably just that I've done 2500 solves on my Shengshou, and that I practice big cubes more than anything else, but I prefer my unmodded Shengshou to the Aochuang. The Aochuang is a bad combination of really fast, really locky, and really loose. Can't control it. And it's not like I can't control fast cubes. My main 3x3 is an Aolong, and that isn't too fast for me. The Aochuang is just an unstable cube. I'll try tightening it, and maybe that'll fix the problem, but I really don't like it too much compared to the Shengshou. If the Aochuang didn't have superior corner cutting and superior speed, I would say an unmodded shengshou that's been broken in is better by quite a distance. The feel of the Shengshou is incredibly much better, in my opinion. However, I have tried another Shengshou 5x5 with a lot less solves on it, and it was shockingly worse. I may have just been lucky enough to get a really, really good Shengshou, combined with the patience to do thousands of solves on it. It takes hundreds, if not 1000, to break it in.

Last edited:

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
It seems that MOST people prefer AoChuang to an unmodded SS.

The jury is still out on well modded SS or AoChuang.

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally, I have felt some pretty good florian modded SS 5x5s, and the Aochuang after 100 solves and lube is better than them. I have a pretty lockup-prone turning style on big cubes, and and lockups I may have on the Aochuang are minimal compared to what I would have on the SS. I'm wondering if some people just haven't taken the time to adapt to their Aochaung like I have. Also, I tried a few people's Aochuangs at comps, and they were not that great. Out of the box, the Aochuang simply isn't that great, it's scratchy, not very well tensioned, and slow. It's hard to put a finger on it, but my times were just bad when I first got it.

So I think that some people are expecting the Aochuang to be better than the cube that they are adapted to, have broken in, modded, lubed, and tensioned, without doing the same to the Aochuang. (With the exception of modding of course)

What I did to mine: about 160 solves, some maru and weight 1 lube, and minute tensioning. That made it great.