• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Self-made paper blindfold

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which rule requires that? This one even explicitly says a paper might not be necessary:

"During the full solve the judge must keep a sheet of paper or a similar object (not limiting physical movement of the competitor) between the competitor's face and the puzzle, unless the puzzle is in a position where peeking at the puzzle is not possible."

Wow, I like this, it does seem like it could qualify.

My only concern is some form of "see-through" paper. Could it be possible to get a sheet of paper just see through enough, either because of the material or the thinness of the paper, that the colors can be identified to a small degree if the cube is held close enough to the face?

Chris

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My only concern is some form of "see-through" paper. Could it be possible to get a sheet of paper just see through enough, either because of the material or the thinness of the paper, that the colors can be identified to a small degree if the cube is held close enough to the face?

Try it. Like I said, I can see the colors if the cube is less than 1 mm behind the paper (that was with "regular" 80g/m^2 paper, not my thicker one). And like Mike pointed out, the judge is inspecting the blindfold anyway, so could test this. With normal paper, there should be no doubt/problem.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Or make a wide one and use it like this (yeah, should've used longer band so the paper wouldn't curl). This might also be interesting for the super fast people because it takes zero time to pull down the blindfold (you just tilt your head up and start solving).
memo.jpg
solve.jpg

This plus a blindfold seems better imo. Still allows you to breathe, and it's basically, you start executing when you put the blindfold on, and the judge is already holding the paper (except the paper is attached to you). This way you're wearing a blindfold, and there's paper underneath to avoid peaking. Also, at our comps the paper is always black card, and definitely not see through :p
So any of these ideas where the issue is see through paper, just use black card.

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Light yes, but not darkness. Behind a blindfold on your eyes, you have darkness. For the face-mask version, the the paper would be close to the face and you'd have that darkness. For the chin version, the hole would have to be much larger, so there the color doesn't really matter.

But yeah, a judge could hold it against light to check it, so maybe that would be better. Then again, on white the judge should see it right away as well (I easily see my tiny test hole even when I put another white paper underneath). I tested how large a hole I need to peek, it's easily noticeable under close inspection.

I guess I was more thinking about when nobody inspects it closely, for example when you use it in a home video or a cube meeting or a media demonstration. Btw, the original reason for posting this was to show a cheap and easy self-made blindfold for people who don't have a blindfold at all yet. That maybe explains where I was coming from, WCA competitions were more of a hindsight this time.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Stefan: I was actually going to mention that I saw it on your site before, but I was on a time limit to go so I waited to post until now, and well, you found it :p Have you tried that with those thick manilla envelopes that they use in competition? The image with the paper being bound vertically reminds me of a welder's mask. I think for media purposes this looks somewhat corny, but for practically purposes this definitely gets a thumbs up!

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you tried that with those thick manilla envelopes that they use in competition?

No. I might have some, but I wouldn't want to waste one when I can just use a cheap sheet of paper that also does the job.

The image with the paper being bound vertically reminds me of a welder's mask.

Me, too :) Hmm, I thought Homer had one in the Simpsons intro, but I can't find it. Found a quite nice one instead...

Chuck

WCA
2009ADIW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Inspired by Ramadan (from [thread=25465]this thread[/thread]):
Ramadan.jpg

I tried that, but it was a bit cumbersome getting the paper under the blindfold properly.

I've done it too for 54 cubes multi BLD! :D Yeah I think these ideas are very good for home video and cube meeting. But for official competition, we still need to assure there will be zero chance of peeking.