• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

San Francisco Open 2009

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in charge of organizing the San Francisco Open 2009 competition on January 18: http://caltech.cubingusa.com/sanfrancisco2009/
Tomorrow, I'm visiting the Exploratorium to physically plan the competition layout.

For those who've been around for 2 years, it's a successor to the Caltech Winter competitions.
If you're attending, I would appreciate it if you signed up as early as possible. You're not fully committed or restricted to the events you check, but we would like a good idea of whom to prepare for (cards to prepare, etc.).

Also, I'm trying to make a list of the members of the main organizing team (who should pre-register, too!). If you're interested in being on the team (and don't think you automatically will be), send me a PM or email.

Anyhow, use this thread to ask any questions or talk about the competition. I'm trying to offer a lot of events while still making it a competition for lots of newcomers to enjoy; anything else (other than more events) you'd like to see being done to make this competition better?

I hope to see a lot of new and advanced cubers there! :)

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
If I come can I have a 4x4x4 too?

Hey Dene (you are a girl),

Are you going to be in the United States at that time? Because if you are going to UCLA, you should just get a ride to San Francisco with some of the Los Angeles area cubers. Shelley (also a girl) will probably be driving up.

I'll take care of you for the weekend if you're in town. My home (or where I grew up) is only 30 minutes by car from the competition venue.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I notice that multiBLD, 4BLD and 5BLD, and 3BLD are in consecutive hour slots. Do any of you BLD specializers think that might be a problem if you want to do all the BLD events? If you guys are fine with it I am too, but it just seems a little tight to me.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh man really? That'd be awesome! But didn't you know, I'm a hermaphrodite now ^^

Fine, but figure out your logistics. If you don't make this easy, I'm not going out of my way to do you a favor.

Yes well... I won't be planning anything until I get to California, which will only give me two weeks.
I don't want to put pressure on anyone to rely on me when I'm probably not going to be in a particularly reliable position. :eek:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will sign up after X-mas. I think i might be getting a master magic.
Just sign up now.
We're going to have to re-register people for magics anyhow, on competition, because the submission field was broken when some people signed up.

This applies to any potential competitors:
I don't want to put it on the site and allow everyone to expect to change their events freely, but if you wanna add/remove a few things it's no problem: just send me an email and/or tell us at the competition.
It helps us if you pre-register early, with a reasonably developed -if not final- choice of events, so we have an idea of what to plan for (we have a few competition areas to coordinate).

Richard

Hey, I posted on the yahoo speedcubing group but figured i'd post here as well. I'm stationed in Monterey CA and am looking for a ride to the competition. I may be able to use the bus system, but i'd rather not if i can avoid it. So if anyone is going to be driving through or nearby Monterey on their way to the competition and can give me a ride please let me know, i'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Richard Meyer

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm going to be there, it will be my first competition, but I'm really not that good, I average about a minute. But I think it will be fun. Hopefully next year I'll be better. I'm probably just going to do 3x3x3 speedsolve, I might do 4x4x4, but I just can't seem to be able to memorize the orientation parity algorithm. But if I can, I'll sign up with that for sure.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is any merchandise going to be sold? eg. stickers cubes etc...
Cubesmith might come again.
Hopefully, we'll also have some DIY's to sell, as well as a few spare puzzles. However, I don't think we'll be selling a lot this year. The Exploratorium store will be trying to stock up for the event, though (they have 3-5 cubes, and Dan Harris's book, at least).