• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

San Francisco Open 2009

happa95

WCA
2008HAKO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your averages are about the same as mine, and like you, SF09 will be my first competition. Maybe we could meet up a little early before the competition starts and practice? If you'd like that, I can meet you at the entrance to the competition on Sunday. Hope to see you there!

BYU: make sure someone takes a video of you! I wanna see what you look like. BTW, how old are you?

Divin3

WCA
2009HUYN01
A few tips for you guys:
- Even though you want to get fast times, try not to turn too fast and make sure to look ahead as much as you can.
- Don't be nervous about being on stage - unless you tell someone to watch you, nobody's going to. Treat it just like a practice solve.
- Take a couple of deep breaths before each solve, and request a chair if you feel unsteady on your feet. It's important to be calm and focused.
Good luck!

I'm really bad at looking ahead,hopefully i can straighten something out when I meet up with people there to practice.

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK - so everyone who is doing a first-competition at San Francisco this Sunday, meet at the entrance to the competition room (or rooms, I don't know which) a little bit before the 3x3x3 Speedsolve. I'll be staying all day, since I'm doing BLD and 4x4x4

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK - so everyone who is doing a first-competition at San Francisco this Sunday, meet at the entrance to the competition room (or rooms, I don't know which)
The Exploratorium is one gigantic hall. See the floorplan. I suggest meeting near the cafe.

I don't know what you look like and when you are approximately there.I might be there like 9:30 am to practice I can come earlier too.
The museum will not open until 10:00AM. Feel free to come a bit early, thoug; there will be a few other cubers waiting at the entrance.

How much is the entrance fee going to be? Is there even going to be an entrance fee?
http://caltech.cubingusa.com/sanfrancisco2009/: How much will it cost?

Video and Photo Release Form
There will be a lot of media at the competition to document the event for newspaper, news, magazines, etc. To*make things simple, we have a media release form.
If you're a competitor, you should try to bring a self-printed, signed media release; it'll make things easier and faster for everyone.

Last edited:

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
I just wanted to say thanks to you Lucas for organizing this event. I had a lot of fun. Nice new single by the way ;). One of my favorite parts was when you thought I was frank morris and was trying to get me to go up and accept the 5x5 second place award. I was about to go up there, but I knew frank was around somewhere watching and waiting

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
Those are great pictures. I laughed when I saw the one of Dene with the solved pyraminx. And then there was another one of a different solve and he was doing the exact same thing!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
My try at the fewest moves scramble (F D2 L F' L2 F2 U' F R2 F2 R' B2 D2 B D2 U2):
2x2x2: D' L D U' L
2x2x3: D R D2 R2
3x cross: D2 F D' F' R' D R
4th pair: F' D' F' D F2 D' F2 D2
OLL w/PLL skip: R' D' R F R2 U' R' U F' R' F2 (35)
It took me about 45 minutes. Before I found the PLL skip on the awful OLL, my best was around 40.

Awesome solves by Lars and Mirek!

And, so that's what Deney looks like. I sure hope he's not a girl! :)

WCA
2008HERR01
It was fun...I did terrible but still, I got to talk to Mirek about FMC, he was really nice :) it's also fun playing with other peoples puzzles :D

Edit: ROFL @ Dan with the cube on his head xD

Edit 2: OMG! I fount me doing OH with my Rise Against shirt :D And me doing Square-1 :D

Last edited: