• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube at olympics

n00bcubix

WCA
2008JUNH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Chinese tried to get 'paper scissors rock' as their guest sport in this years olympics, so speedcubing in the olympics may be a possibility, although I don't think they should do it.

why would they get rock paper scissors as an event? that's like luck :O
and I would definately participate when im 15

Odin

WCA
2009RODR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Chinese tried to get 'paper scissors rock' as their guest sport in this years olympics, so speedcubing in the olympics may be a possibility, although I don't think they should do it.

hes right rock paper scissors is more of a luck thing for speed cubing you need more skill

MistArts

hes right rock paper scissors is more of a luck thing for speed cubing you need more skill

I know tricks for Rocks Paper Scissors.

Odin

WCA
2009RODR02
YouTube
Visit Channel

can you share them? i kinda such a ruck paper scissors...

Garmon

WCA
2008ROBE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Paper usually works.
Speedcubing is an awesome sport, don't know why it isn't in the olympics and walking is? They probably never will have it, but if they do in London 2012 expect me there.

MistArts

Paper usually works.
Speedcubing is an awesome sport, don't know why it isn't in the olympics and walking is? They probably never will have it, but if they do in London 2012 expect me there.

You have to represent your country... which is pretty hard.

Garmon

WCA
2008ROBE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Paper usually works.

By then all the other UK cubers will be older and have jobs, I will be cubing still 24/7.

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Paper usually works.

By then all the other UK cubers will be older and have jobs, I will be cubing still 24/7.

lol just because we have jobs doesn't mean we won't be cubing :p you have to do *something* to fill the lunch break.

Rubixcubematt

YouTube
Visit Channel
If it was going to be in the olympics, it would have to be in the academic olympics. Im sure that they would accept it as an event their since it is all about using your brain with puzzles/problems :)

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I just found out about http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/b597/?cpg=ab and this seemed like the best place to share

Forte

WCA
2009SHIN02
YouTube
Visit Channel

I just found out about http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/b597/?cpg=ab and this seemed like the best place to share

That is just the beginning :)
Here is the real deal.
By the way, rps stands for Rock Paper Scissors :)

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

That is just the beginning :)
Here is the real deal.
By the way, rps stands for Rock Paper Scissors :)
:eek:
Fortunately there is a flash game that has the x beats y matrix encoded. It would take quite a while to lurn the rules of those games, especically for the 101 variation :fp

The first variation looked like a 3x3x3 evolving into a 4x4x4, 5x5x5, 6x6x6, 7x7x7, etc. But those latest variations are just like some of our online 5D-120-interconnected-gazillionminxes

Last edited:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
That isn't the point i'm making. My point is this: I bet not a single one of them could handle a proper bow and arrow (by this I mean, when bows and arrows were actually still used). They have these super high tech, metal, nicely balanced, with aiming bars etc etc bows, and perfect arrows, and it's all pointless.
If I put you in the wild, and offered you that bow and arrow, or a gun, which would you take? Only an idiot wouldn't choose the gun as priority.
The whole idea behind it becomes redundant when they start "high-teching" the equipment up.
Here's how I would arrange the archery:
Day 1: You go out into the wild with a very basic knife made of stone, and have 24 hours to find the appropriate materials and fashion yourself out a bow and arrows.
Day 2: You are put into a cage with a wild, and very hungry bear. Last animal standing wins.
The result? Not a single one of them would even have a bow ready after the 24 hours. I bet none of them would even know what type of wood to look for.
I must stress my point: the "sport" becomes redundant once it becomes "futuristic". It no longer has its "essence", and becomes a drawback version of target shooting with the most high-tech gun.

EDIT: I may as well add that I was talking to someone the other day who also agreed with me, and proposed a different idea. You walk around a track, where targets randomly pop out of the bushes or whatever, and you are given points based on how fast, and how accurate, the shots you make are.

I think the targets popping out randomly is also a form of archery sport. For something like the Olympics though, it's easier to compare performance with everybody shooting under the exact same conditions, hence target shooting.

How many sports haven't been "high-tech"-ed up these days? Maybe track and field runners should run barefoot on unpaved tracks, and swimmers should go without their high tech suits specially designed to minimize drag.

On topic: I don't think cubing should be in the Olympics. Not just based on whether it is or isn't a sport, as plenty of sports aren't in the Olympics. Top Olympic athletes have dedicated their whole lives to their sport. Most have been training from a very young age. Compare that to cubing, where any shmuck can pick up a cube and become a contender at national or even world championships within a year or two.

And face it, Olympic sports emphasize physical training and fitness. This is why I don't think chess would ever become an Olympic sport either. Sure, cubing has a physical aspect, but that's mostly just dexterity. If that were enough, you would see pen-spinning, juggling, card tricks, glowsticking, Rubik's magic, and yes, even cupstacking as contenders for Olympic sports.

Twofu2

Cubing does use physical power! You need finger strength to flick your cube, although there is silicone. Rofl