• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube at olympics

hawkmp4

Dene-
You try pulling a string back with like, 30 kgs of pressure, and hold it steady enough to get a 10 on a target 70m away.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dene-
You try pulling a string back with like, 30 kgs of pressure, and hold it steady enough to get a 10 on a target 70m away.

I would never try seeing as a gun would be a lot easier (I wouldn't do this either, I don't "believe" in the use, or handling, or weapons) however I would be keen to learn how to properly carve and make a good old fashioned bow and arrow from some primitive tribe in Africa (that is, the skills for making, not the usage of).

hawkmp4

Well, there you go. Its NOT easy, any archer can tell you. I don't pretend to be one but I've mucked around with a bow long enough to realize its much harder than it looks.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That isn't the point i'm making. My point is this: I bet not a single one of them could handle a proper bow and arrow (by this I mean, when bows and arrows were actually still used). They have these super high tech, metal, nicely balanced, with aiming bars etc etc bows, and perfect arrows, and it's all pointless.
If I put you in the wild, and offered you that bow and arrow, or a gun, which would you take? Only an idiot wouldn't choose the gun as priority.
The whole idea behind it becomes redundant when they start "high-teching" the equipment up.
Here's how I would arrange the archery:
Day 1: You go out into the wild with a very basic knife made of stone, and have 24 hours to find the appropriate materials and fashion yourself out a bow and arrows.
Day 2: You are put into a cage with a wild, and very hungry bear. Last animal standing wins.
The result? Not a single one of them would even have a bow ready after the 24 hours. I bet none of them would even know what type of wood to look for.
I must stress my point: the "sport" becomes redundant once it becomes "futuristic". It no longer has its "essence", and becomes a drawback version of target shooting with the most high-tech gun.

EDIT: I may as well add that I was talking to someone the other day who also agreed with me, and proposed a different idea. You walk around a track, where targets randomly pop out of the bushes or whatever, and you are given points based on how fast, and how accurate, the shots you make are.

hawkmp4

Ah, okay, I'm sorry- I misinterpreted. I thought you were trying to make the point that cubing was just as intensive and difficult as archery.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lol, na, only mentally, not physically! Although then again, someone who doesn't know how to solve the cube would probably say archery would be easier.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
srry but i dont think playing with a little piece of plastic is considered sport lol.
fun hobby, but its not sport

Then how could playing with a ball with air inside it, be a sport?

because you do active things with that ball. maybe we could be in the olympics if we started throwing our cubes at people lol
Nah. But Ball in Cup would make it.
Damn...I would pwn at Ball in a Cup
USA! USA!

perhaps we can do Ball in a Cup w/ feet, too?

Rabid

There are uniformity issues with the hardware. They won't even let you run on metal legs. Are all contestants’ scrambles in competitions identical?

Nuber Cuber

I still don't consider cubing a sport, and (correct me if I'm wrong) every Olympic event is a sport. Well, I also don't agree that SportStacking is a sport, however it is called SPORTstacking. If SportStacking is a sport, cubing definitely is.

hawkmp4

I still don't consider cubing a sport, and (correct me if I'm wrong) every Olympic event is a sport. Well, I also don't agree that SportStacking is a sport, however it is called SPORTstacking. If SportStacking is a sport, cubing definitely is.
10m air pistol?
That's questionable.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
+1 chess is not a sport
+1 chess it the greatest game ever invented

Chinese Chess is the greatest game ever invented, lol. :p
I cannot dispute that because I have no idea how to play Chinese Chess.

If someone tried to make the argument that Go was a better game than chess, I could consider it since only recently has a computer program been able to challenge a human. However, I also have no idea how to play Go.

Johannes91

If someone tried to make the argument that Go was a better game than chess, I could consider it since only recently has a computer program been able to challenge a human.
So Go on a 42x42 board would be even "better" than the normal 19x19? Or perhaps Arimaa is "the best game"?

Even if chess was completely solved, I'd still consider it a good game.

MistArts

SportStacking shouldn't even be considered a hobby.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
aaah memories... about 4 years ago i was part of an active group lobbying that starcraft be included into olympics :eek:

hmmm rubik's cube face offs would be pretty interesting to watch though :)

ImNOTnoob

18 would be no problem. Off the top of my head:
USA
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Holland
Germany
Belgium
France
Japan
Hong Kong
China
Brazil
UK (or is it separated into the four countries, so England?)
Poland
Greece
Finland
Korea

There are tons more in the database.

EDIT: I only got 17, another would be... Hungary!

Hey, where's SIngapore? :mad:

18 would be no problem. Off the top of my head:
USA
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Holland
Germany
Belgium
France
Japan
Hong Kong
China
Brazil
UK (or is it separated into the four countries, so England?)
Poland
Greece
Finland
Korea

There are tons more in the database.

EDIT: I only got 17, another would be... Hungary!

Hey, where's SIngapore? :mad:

No Singaporean has ever competed in a WCA sanctioned competition.