• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube at olympics

I don't see why people are trying to find ways to say cubing isn't a sport instead of putting their thoughts positively towards actually MAKING it be recognized as a sport. Did anyone even think of looking up the definition of sport anyway? Merriam-Webster's online dictionary defines it as:

(1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

As far as I'm concerned cubing is a physical activity (finger+wrist) and it's done for pleasure.

Also, cubing abides to the requirements for it to become an Olympic sport. So what if it takes till 2020 or whenever to get in... I'm not going anywhere... are you?

D

Deleted member 2864

I don't see why people are trying to find ways to say cubing isn't a sport instead of putting their thoughts positively towards actually MAKING it be recognized as a sport. Did anyone even think of looking up the definition of sport anyway? Merriam-Webster's online dictionary defines it as:

(1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

As far as I'm concerned cubing is a physical activity (finger+wrist) and it's done for pleasure.

Also, cubing abides to the requirements for it to become an Olympic sport. So what if it takes till 2020 or whenever to get in... I'm not going anywhere... are you?

Perhaps it is a sport, depending on your perception of one. I still don't believe that a cuber would fulfill the idea of an Olympic athlete. Forgive me for saying this, but quite frankly I think cubing a geeky hobby or sport. I'm not saying that the people who participate in it are geeks, but I believe cubing surely is. You twist 'n turn a plastic toy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chess is a game though.

Your point? So is Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, etc. They're all olympic sports. Also, have you ever heard of the olympic GAMES?

My post was a month old but very valid. They're called the olympic games, yes, but the events are sports. I have a loose definition of a sport. But sitting in front of your computer for hours on end does not fit that definition, and in speedsolving that is what many of us do (especially on large averages). In a sport you risk hurting yourself severely almost every play (that didn't come out right but I hope you get what I'm saying).

But chess is easily the most viable game for the olympics, and I would put it above speedcubing on my list of things that should get more recognition.

DaBear

What athletic ability does cubing involve? it doesn't even come CLOSE to ANYTHING else in the olympics right now.
Honestly.
Why are people even considering this?

If throwing rocks and sweeping ice is an Olympic sport then why the hell can't speedcubing be an Olympic sport?

Hadley4000

WCA
2008SHEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
oh lets just stick with our old fashion swimming and shot put :)

I honestly would prefer if the Summer Olympics were mostly track and field/swimming/,aybe gymnastics. There are FAR too many sports in the Olympics. I am a HUGE baseball fan, played for 10 years and can tell you anything you need to know about it, but I don't think it should be in the Olympics.

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I dont think cubing should be added, I think the Olympics should only have events that require fitness and stuff like that, so cubing shouldnt be added.

Other stuff like chess shouldnt be added either.

scylla

WCA
2006kasp02
Nowadays there is only one restriction for a new sport (or game) to be Olympic:

Is it possible to earn money with it, more than we do with other sports?

All other restrictions are other formulations of this one.

So if we want cubing as an olympic sport, we need sponsors. We get sponsors if people are watching the competitions. People will watch if the competition is spectactular.

Our current tournament set up is maybe nice for cubers but not for watchers. Each solve is the same for a non-cuber

So we need a competition with more exciting!

Like a Knock Out competition 1 vs 1 . The fastest one continu in the tournament. Maybe let the opponents scramble eachothers cube.

Like a Team Relay. Which shouldn't be difficult to add to the Wch

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
well. who wants to watch people solve cubes for X amount of days, and what kind of news channel will waste their time

Well, people would be very interested at first, and watch it, but after a bit, I think people would start to think it's "gay". I don't want cubing to get a bad name, and as I have stated earlier in this thread, the Olympics would not be good for cubing. Many people rushing into cubing at the same time is not a good idea.