• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube at olympics

Weston

Premium Member
WCA
2008MIZU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I dont know if anyone has said this because I'm too tired to read 11 pages of stuff right now, but speecubing is a million times more sportsy and athletic than curling.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I say chess should get in the olympics before cubing. Also a big problem I'm seeing is how many variations of cubing there are. I doubt they would add 4-7 events to the olympics to please a couple thousand people. Second think of how many people cube. I think there are close to 10,000. There are 6,000,000,000 people in the world. .000167 % of the people in the world cube. Think of all the other sports not in the olympics & how popular they are compared to cubing. There are many more reasons, but I don't really think it's necessary to type them all out for you.

I say chess should get in the olympics before cubing. Also a big problem I'm seeing is how many variations of cubing there are. I doubt they would add 4-7 events to the olympics to please a couple thousand people. Second think of how many people cube. I think there are close to 10,000. There are 6,000,000,000 people in the world. .000167 % of the people in the world cube. Think of all the other sports not in the olympics & how popular they are compared to cubing. There are many more reasons, but I don't really think it's necessary to type them all out for you.

Chess is a game though. Just like Scrabble. Just like Golf. Just like Pandemic (ridiculously awesome game, btw). No olympics for them.

However, your points are valid and I couldn't agree more. Plus, who can relate to some guy up on a stage for 20 seconds. We all dream of excitement. That's why allegiances in sports are so popular-they give you the rush you've wanted without the physical ability necessary to play the game. That's why we say "we" when "our" team wins. We want to be part of something exciting.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Old thread is old so this has probably been mentioned before, but are you really comparing cubing to traditional Olympic sports? In many if not most Olympic sports the top athletes are those who have been training from a very young age. In cubing, anyone can become world class in a matter of months. It doesn't require any special athletic prowess.

Tomk

*cough cough* cognetive inhancers...

Wouldn't it be more sensible to have something like the olympics for games in which cubing would be included?

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
also whats the difference between cubing and other olympic sports???they are proffessionals that get paid every week for doing there sport!i think this would ruin cubing as it would take fun way!!and then you would see too many ''wanna bees''

i wouldnt like s an olympic sport but perhaps the brain'olympics lol

D

Deleted member 2864

Just like Golf. No olympics for them.

Where the heck have you been???

PGATour said:
Golf has been voted in as an Olympic sport starting with the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro. Here is the reaction for PGA TOUR players and other pros after hearing Friday's news. (Editor's note: Europeantour.com also contributed to this report).
Wikipedia said:
On October 9, 2009 the IOC voted to include rugby sevens and golf on the program for the Games in Rio. The other 26 sports were also confirmed with a large majority of the votes.[7]
ESPN said:
After more than a century on the sidelines, golf will return to the Olympics at the Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro. Rugby, last played in 1924 (hah, actually it was 1904, silly ESPN), is coming back as well.

Both were reinstated for the 2016 and 2020 Games after a vote Friday by the International Olympic Committee. They are the first sports added since triathlon and taekwondo joined the program for the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Last edited by a moderator:

CUB3R01

No one thought about this or i missed something?

I was wondering about how would it be to get the cube to the olympic games. Does it need a minimum number of cubers to be considered an olympic sport? Does anyone know the criteria to add a sport?

It looks like it's not so easy, beacause we have the example of chess, which is not included. Anyway, speedcubing can be as exciting to watch as many other sports. There are time records and stuff.

I'm not thiking of this for today, but could be really nice for the future, the number of cubers is growing so fast :)

Having speedcubing as an olympic sport would be amazing! It doesn't seem very likely to happen... but at the rate at which more and more people are cubing, I wouldn't be surprised if speedcubing becomes an olympic sport before too long.

inuyasha51089

YouTube
Visit Channel
what about making a seperate olympics for cubing and other things like chess? we could have marithons of our own with 2x2-6x6 different events like chess and other stuff and even a relay race where once one was done with his or her cube the next one would start.??? anyone else think this would work

D

Deleted member 2864

what about making a seperate olympics for cubing and other things like chess? we could have marithons of our own with 2x2-6x6 different events like chess and other stuff and even a relay race where once one was done with his or her cube the next one would start.??? anyone else think this would work

No, since a completely new organization would have to be made. We'd have to gather a bunch of cubers/chess geeks (joke ;))/irresponsible poker players (;))/other events that could be included to form a new organization...

Last edited by a moderator:

hyunchoi98

WCA
2012CHOI04
YouTube
Visit Channel

No, since a completely new organization would have to be made. We'd have to gather a bunch of cubers/chess geeks (joke ;))/irresponsible poker players (;))/other events that could be included to form a new organization...

And if we did, it'd be almost the same as the WCA.