• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Brand lawsuit against The Cubicle

Mellis Ferton

I think if this lawsuit goes through, and Phil (TheCubicle) loses, this could be a huge red flag for other cube retailers. If Rubik's decides to start suing other cube retailers, we could see smaller (no offense) stores (like speedcubeshop.com, cancube.ca) losing these lawsuits, and the cubes we all know and love go away.

But what I find idiotic is that Rubik's recently partnered with Gan to make a speedcube. If they start going after Gan, I think Gan will have a higher chance of winning, since it is a large company. But it's unsure. Let's hope that TheCubicle will win, and we can keep the cubes we know today.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm wondering how good a legal argument this is: "the vast majority of people buying cubes from the Cubicle do so because they specifically *aren't* Rubik's brand cubes, but cubes from companies that produce better speedcubes". Also, I though Rubik's lost their trademark battle a while ago, I assume then I'm getting confused with something else that happened or it only applies in certain places?
Not a great one, because "The vast majority" is not all. You can still be trying to deceive someone into buying a product thinking it's something else, even if most people are not looking for that product.

I_<3_SCS

Ok, that's it, I lost all respect for rubik's.
I'm gonna call the RUBIK'S CUBE the MOYU CUBE now. :p

That's really disrespectful. You're not respecting the patent. Besides, wouldn't you be disappointed when you get a Moyu cube instead of a Rubik's cube? I know I would...

Its not a Rubik's cube unless it actually is but at least we can rest assured that China doesn't care about copyright and Chinese stores are nearly half the price of the cubicle, but I think the WCA should sue Rubik's for not producing a decent cube or at least replace the Rubik's cube with 3x3x3

How does that even work? What basis does the WCA have for such legal action? What a dotard...

Last edited by a moderator:

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's really disrespectful. You're not respecting the patent. Besides, wouldn't you be disappointed when you get a Moyu cube instead of a Rubik's cube? I know I would...

anyway, I think my last post didn't get posted, so here I go:

Down with thecubicle! Down with thecubicle! Down with thecubicle!

Optimus Prime once said: one shall fall, one shall rise.

Clearly, Rubik's will win this one. And rise up...
And speedcubeshop is probably next on Rubik's list of cube stores to sue, maybe affiliates will lose out

And i understand that the WCA can't sue Rubik's but I think copyright laws really do need updating and that they should decide whether it is an infringement based on the shape of a corner or edge not the overall puzzle

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
The first speedcubers used Rubik's and plus, haven't you seen the new Rubik's Speedcube?

EDIT: Want a link?...
Yes but I thought gan said they were honoured to have been picked and would use their best cube designs- why has the gan air SM
A) received lots more attention
B) been widely used by top speescubers while the rsc has not

Mellis Ferton

Yes but I thought gan said they were honoured to have been picked and would use their best cube designs- why has the gan air SM
A) received lots more attention
B) been widely used by top speescubers while the rsc has not
(answer to B) I've heard people say it's because of the tiles. Also, they can't change their color scheme/shades and make it their own.

(answer to A) Most likely because it is part of the Gans Air cubes, which in itself is popular.

I_<3_SCS

Agree with ^^^

remember, the rubiks speedcubes are not only amazingly fast and great for speedcubers, but also great for little children who might choke and die otherwise. Thus, Rubik's has done the impossible by making a best of both worlds cube!!!

xyzzy

China doesn't care about copyright
You're not respecting the patent.
the WCA can't sue Rubik's but I think copyright laws really do need updating and that they should decide whether it is an infringement based on the shape of a corner or edge not the overall puzzle

Trademark ≠ copyright ≠ patent ≠ trademark. Rubik's is suing over a trademark violation. The patent on the original Rubik's Cube expired many years ago and simple geometric shapes cannot be copyrighted.

(If you want to talk about piece internals, which nowadays really aren't simple geometric shapes, they fall under copyright insofar as the the shape does not fundamentally contribute to the functionality of the overall product, which is basically never. I assume this restriction is to prevent people from double-dipping with both copyright and patent protection.)

SolemnAttic

I need enlightenment. How does TC manufacture cubes? Dont they just set up cubes for us, which is the same thing as buying an rc car, then the shop gives us lubricant, a free bottle of oil, spart parts etc? Or am I missing something as i never bought from TC?

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I need enlightenment. How does TC manufacture cubes? Dont they just set up cubes for us, which is the same thing as buying an rc car, then the shop gives us lubricant, a free bottle of oil, spart parts etc? Or am I missing something as i never bought from TC?
They buy the base cube from one source and vinyl sheets from somewhere else from which they cut stickers, stick them to the cube, and then sell the result as a finished product. I'm pretty sure the magnets and lube aren't relevant here since they don't affect appearance which is all that is covered by the trademark.

SolemnAttic

They buy the base cube from one source and vinyl sheets from somewhere else from which they cut stickers, stick them to the cube, and then sell the result as a finished product. I'm pretty sure the magnets and lube aren't relevant here since they don't affect appearance which is all that is covered by the trademark.

Hmm, makes sense.

teboecubes

WCA
2015TEBO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lol points 24, 25, and 26. Actually is this lolable?

Also what even
Hopefully Phil's years at law school will be able to help him out.
Yeah I know. If 25 was accurate:

"Finally, my cube came in the mail"
*opens box*
"What, this isn't a Rubik's Cube, it's the imitation cube The Cubicle sells to mislead customers!"