• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Roux Home Thread

I am too, when I use Roux. I don't even notice.

I don't think many people will notice a difference for y axis, especially when they start solving that way when they're slower (standard for CN). The only difficulty for me was when I had yellow on bottom I was a tad slower but it was quick to get used to. I think it's largely because I almost never did yellow cross in CFOP solves. I didn't notice a difference for colour on the side though, although I think I should actively take note of it because when I do practice for just second block or CMLL, I think I'm quicker because I know before I start solving, not where pieces are, but what orientation I'm in and so what colours I'm looking for more than I do in speedsolves. Anyone else notice this as something they should/do/did work on?

WCA
2014TIUA01
I don't think many people will notice a difference for y axis, especially when they start solving that way when they're slower (standard for CN). The only difficulty for me was when I had yellow on bottom I was a tad slower but it was quick to get used to. I think it's largely because I almost never did yellow cross in CFOP solves. I didn't notice a difference for colour on the side though, although I think I should actively take note of it because when I do practice for just second block or CMLL, I think I'm quicker because I know before I start solving, not where pieces are, but what orientation I'm in and so what colours I'm looking for more than I do in speedsolves. Anyone else notice this as something they should/do/did work on?

Well, when I'm practicing SB, I get faster times cuz obv I haff more inspection/recog time. And as for color recog and orientation, it just seems to come naturally and I somehow am able to simulataneously pick up UL and UR edge color and other steps.

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thom's point is that if you want to be taken seriously, talk properly. The fact that the medium is the internet doesn't excuse you to talk like Ben does. Which, quite frankly, makes me a bit ill.

Same here. I just want to point out that I have heard of people getting banned for intentionally bad spelling and grammar.

vince

Consider also that for the non english-speaking people is more difficult to understand if someone writes words in a wrong way.
V

AHornbaker

Quick question:
What is the move breakdown for an average Roux solve?
Block 7-10 [7-10]
2nd block 15-20 [22-30]
CmLL 9 [31-39]
LSE 14-20 [45-59]

I'm trying different ways to break up Roux to see if any of them are faster/can be optimized. I'm just wondering if the figure of 48 moves on average is accurate. The only way I can see to improving on Roux is making it more alg-oriented instead of intuitive.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I average 12-15 with CFOP but I find it too boring to practise. I got a 22 second average of 100 with Roux, is block building for the second block bad? My first block is reasonably efficient and fast, but if I try to so the 2nd block efficient it's really slow. When I put the DR edge in and solve the block <RUM> I'm faster.

I'm not sure if I want to swap to Roux, just messing around with it because in general, apart from <MU> algs I've has pretty bad TPS, and only average sub 15 in CFOP because I have practically no pauses.

Main questions;
1. Is DR edge first -> inefficient 2nd block bad?
2. What's the best way to do L6E in general? (EO->UR UL->finish?)
3. Good splits to aim for to get sub 15.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Quick question:
What is the move breakdown for an average Roux solve?
Block 7-10 [7-10]
2nd block 15-20 [22-30]
CmLL 9 [31-39]
LSE 14-20 [45-59]

I'm trying different ways to break up Roux to see if any of them are faster/can be optimized. I'm just wondering if the figure of 48 moves on average is accurate. The only way I can see to improving on Roux is making it more alg-oriented instead of intuitive.

Seems okay, maybe a bit lower. For example, the 2nd block is rather 12-18 and the LSE is rather 14-18 for me.

When I put the DR edge in and solve the block <RUM> I'm faster.
(...)
1. Is DR edge first -> inefficient 2nd block bad?

That is because you are faster with CFOP, therefore CFOP-ish block building seems faster for you, even if it is less efficient. So yes, DR edge first is bad (most of the time). For example, in many cases it is easier to build the first corner-edge pair WITH the DR edge, and building the 1x2x2 with the remaining edge (FR or BR).

2. What's the best way to do L6E in general? (EO->UR UL->finish?)

EO->UR UL->finish is pretty fast, can be done in less than 3 seconds. The first 2 step (EO + ULUR) can be merged in some cases easily.

3. Good splits to aim for to get sub 15.

http://wafflelikescubes.webs.com/sub15guidetoroux.htm
http://rouxtorial.webs.com/miscellaneous.htm

I personally suggest 3.5-4.5-2-4.

Last edited:

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
That is because you are faster with CFOP, therefore CFOP-ish block building seems faster for you, even if it is less efficient. So yes, DR edge first is bad (most of the time). For example, in many cases it is easier to build the first corner-edge pair WITH the DR edge, and building the 1x2x2 with the remaining edge (FR or BR).

Personally I disagree, putting the DR edges first is okay. Though it may not always be the most efficient way to do it, it is not much worse and easier to perform without pauses because you find one piece and not three pieces before you start the second block.

I believe my breakdown is:
first block: 3
second block: 4.5
CMLL: 3
LSE: 3

jdbryant

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just starting Roux, so can someone explain y color neutrality to me? It just means that you will solve your first block with either one color or it opposite on bottom, right? Like either yellow or white, or red or orange, etc.

WCA
2014TIUA01
I'm just starting Roux, so can someone explain y color neutrality to me? It just means that you will solve your first block with either one color or it opposite on bottom, right? Like either yellow or white, or red or orange, etc.

Not exactly sure what your trying to say there, so I'll just explain.

Y-axis CN is when you can do y moves (make sure your top color is top) and make blocks for each side. (left and right side)

Opposite CN is when you can do an x2 or z2 (basically change your top color eg if your white then do x2 and get yellow on top) and still solve without messing up your times too much.

Both are good options and should be explored.