• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Roux-breaker? The YruRU method

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Vanilla ZZ is just OCLL/PLL. ZZ with EOCross or EOLine is ZZ either way, not 2 separate methods, just as CFOP with XCross is still CFOP not some Petrus/CFOP hybrid. Also, on the 4x4 method point, Yau is in the family of reduction methods (along with pure reduction and Hoya), but it is separate, just as 2GR and Briggs are in the family of 2gen reduction methods but not the same because there are significant differences between them. On the other hand, YruRU has no significant differences to Briggs as it solves the same things in the same order just more specific.

Devagio

In process of making something:
devagio.github.io/YruRU/
Once compiled, I believe it should provide a firm groundwork to get started with the method.
PS I am literally learning HTML, CSS and GitHub for the first time as I am making this, so I’ll be glad to receive any critique of the entirety of what’s on that link, not just the content.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I still don't know why you're calling it YruRU, but nice site.
Watch out, you angered the Morrison boys. The only way to repair that relationship is...
GET THEM THEY MGC 6x6s BY USING CODE OWEN AND MICAH AT CHECKOUT
@Micah Morrison @Owen Morrison

This joke was brought to you by speedcubing.org

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Watch out, you angered the Morrison boys. The only way to repair that relationship is...
GET THEM THEY MGC 6x6s BY USING CODE OWEN AND MICAH AT CHECKOUT
@Micah Morrison @Owen Morrison

This joke was brought to you by speedcubing.org

Or the more feared option

switch to CFOP

I wouldn't go with that option if I were you though. Many who begin never finish

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Stay on-topic please
Okay sorry, How is your progression on OH with YruRU? Also how hard is it to learn since I'm not great at OH and I want to try a new method for it.
I

Do you want me to pay you the $20 through paypal?
No, Use those to do you know what (I promise that's the last off topic thing I will post in this thread)

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay sorry, How is your progression on OH with YruRU? Also how hard is it to learn since I'm not great at OH and I want to try a new method for it.
No worries. My progression is going pretty well. I've been kinda busy lately with other stuff and most of my practice has been untimed solves but I should be averaging sub-20 with sub-15 inspection any day now. It's honestly really hard to learn. It's a big effort commitment that I think most people aren't willing to put in. You can improve at OH with whatever method you already use, but YruRU certainly has potential. If you're willing to put in a few hours to learn the method, by all means, do so! I learned it because I thought it was really cool and interesting. OH was not one of my main events before but now I'm having a lot of fun with it. So ultimately it comes down to your decision. I think it's worth the effort, but it is a large commitment. Keep in mind that there won't be any comps soon, so you have plenty of time to get used to it before any meaningful results get affected ;)

Devagio

Some general updates:

1. I beat my CFOP OH PB ao100 with YruRU, and got my first sub-19 ao100. I’ve been improving pretty quickly and I expect my global OH average with YruRU to surpass my global CFOP average anytime this week, if it hasn’t happened already. I did practice CFOP OH fairly well over the time I’ve been cubing, definitely more than what I’ve practiced with YruRU; plus I do not yet know full 2GLL, whereas I do know full OLL, PLL, some WV and COLL for CFOP. Reaching my CFOP times in a month with a totally different method reinforces my belief that YruRU is a better method for OH, at least for me.

2. I’m putting some work into the GitHub pages site, the 2GLL section is ready. I’ll complete the home and about section and upload those in a few hours, and put up a link here once I’m done.
EDIT: The link for home is obviously gonna be the same, here it is:
devagio.github.io/YruRU
I’ve uploaded the 2GLLs and described recognition of each case.

3. I’ve come up with a new CP first idea for OH, nothing major or novel but maybe worth considering. I do not find it practical since it has around 500 algorithms, but so does ZBLL and some people find ZZ and ZB practical so this very well may be worth it. I’ll post about it today or tomorrow. Most likely won’t be putting as much work into it, though will certainly help if someone else picks it up and tries developing it.

It's honestly really hard to learn. It's a big effort commitment that I think most people aren't willing to put in.
You had been learning it as it was evolving, learning anything in that phase is going to be quite challenging. Perhaps now it’ll be considerably easier to go about it, and more so in the future.

Last edited:

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
My biggest problem when solving with YruRU is planning CP line when the two corners aren't solved. I don't seem to have an issue planning it, but it seems like 90% of my solves that don't have the corners solved I get diagonal corners at the end, does anyone know what I could be doing wrong? would an example of my CP help?

NevEr_QeyX

My biggest problem when solving with YruRU is planning CP line when the two corners aren't solved. I don't seem to have an issue planning it, but it seems like 90% of my solves that don't have the corners solved I get diagonal corners at the end, does anyone know what I could be doing wrong? would an example of my CP help?
In my experience it is similar to BLD tracing (if you've ever done that) It just takes practice and time and many DNFs at the start. You will break through the infamous "CP Wall" soon but it's very hard in the beginning.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
In my experience it is similar to BLD tracing (if you've ever done that) It just takes practice and time and many DNFs at the start. You will break through the infamous "CP Wall" soon but it's very hard in the beginning.
I think it might be that, but many times I go over my solution over and over again and I did it "correctly" but what I am wondering is if my "correctly" isn't actually what your supposed to do, and what I think is what I am supposed to do only works 1 out of 10 times, I'll keep trying though.

Check out the 2GR page then because the systems are vir*T*ually identical. The link is somewhere on this thread I'm pretty sure.
I have heard that the 2GR system is worse.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Diagonal corners for me often means I read the thread in the wrong direction. Some examples would be great, especially if you can find one where you're positive it should work but it doesn't.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Diagonal corners for me often means I read the thread in the wrong direction. Some examples would be great, especially if you can find one where you're positive it should work but it doesn't.
Alright he is an example of what I do:

Scramble: U L2 D F2 L2 B2 D2 R2 F2 D' B' D2 U' L' F' D2 L2 D' L' U2

x' z2

I see that U' F' will solve the two corners in the bottom left.

I assume that the WBO (in the UBL spot) corner that needs to go in the DFL spot is switched with the corner that is actually there, which means that the UBL corner is number 4.

I see that number 5 and 6 are in different parities and are not friends with each other, and 5 is in an even parity so I read the thread from DBR to UFL.

In my mind I swap corner number 6 ( WRG corner) to be the friend of corner number 5 ( WRB corner) So the corner in the UFR spot is number 1

I swap the corners in positions DFR and DBR because corner number 5 and 6 were in different parties and had different friends.

So when I read the thread I get DBR 2> DFR 3> UFR skip> UBR skip> UBL 4> UFL> 1

so when I read the thread I get 123 which means CP is solved, but because the DFL corner isn't solved, I set it up an F' away from solved with a U' and then do this alg I learned from @Devagio in his post earlier in this thread: F' U' F' U' F. I would insert the edge to make a line by doing U' S (prime?)

I solve the rest of the cube with YruRU and I get diagonal corners at the end:( Does anyone know what I did wrong? I really felt like I did it right.

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to add, this issue only happens when the two corners in the DL aren't solved, if they are, I almost always get CP right.

Last edited: