• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

RiceMan_'s progression thread (road to sub-10)

Will I get to Sub 10 with ZZ

• Yes

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Use another method

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

RiceMan_

I know this is a copy of PetrusQuber's My Quest for Sub 8 Petrus, but I just want to share my progression week by week with the ZZ method. Im currently sub-19 with the ZZ method, I know Pi and H COLL and my goal is to learn full COLL and maybe ZBLL one day. I still have a lot of things to learn like planning EOCross and look ahead and I hope I can master those skills during my journey. I'm hoping to be Sub 10 with the ZZ method within a year.

Progression: Learned how to plan EOLine
Goals: Learn L Shapes COLL
Progression: didn't do anything
Goals: Improve look-ahead

Last edited:

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
I know this is a copy of PetrusQuber's My Quest for Sub 8 Petrus, but I just want to share my progression week by week with the ZZ method. Im currently sub-19 with the ZZ method, I know Pi and H COLL and my goal is to learn full COLL and maybe ZBLL one day. I still have a lot of things to learn like planning EOCross and look ahead and I hope I can master those skills during my journey. I'm hoping to be Sub 10 with the ZZ method within a year.
good luck man!
if people like @RadicalMacaroni can get top level averges and singles then you can too!

Some tips for sub 10 with ZZ:

-Make sure you can fully plan EOCross in inspection, and also make sure you can fingertrick your solutions in such a way that they're fast enough. Be x2y neutral so you can take advantage of a large amount of potential EOCrosses.

-Learn good F2L algs. Since there's far less F2L cases for ZZ, you can essentially just learn an alg for every weird case. Make sure you know good last slot algs for every slot.

-On the topic of F2L, make sure you aren't spending all your time hunting around the cube for pieces. Since you know the orientation of every edge, it should be easy to deduce where all the f2l pieces are most of the time, with some exceptions of course.
You can also try tracking your first f2l pair during EOCross for better cross-f2l transition, but it isn't necessary.

-For LL, make sure you're fingertricking all your algs properly and you can do them fast. I wouldn't recommend using COLL in solves, because it's slower than OCLL/PLL, but you should still learn how to recognize COLL because it's good practice for ZBLL recog later on.

-Make sure your fingertricks are good so you can avoid unnecessary regrips during f2l.

RiceMan_

Some tips for sub 10 with ZZ:

-Make sure you can fully plan EOCross in inspection, and also make sure you can fingertrick your solutions in such a way that they're fast enough. Be x2y neutral so you can take advantage of a large amount of potential EOCrosses.

-Learn good F2L algs. Since there's far less F2L cases for ZZ, you can essentially just learn an alg for every weird case. Make sure you know good last slot algs for every slot.

-On the topic of F2L, make sure you aren't spending all your time hunting around the cube for pieces. Since you know the orientation of every edge, it should be easy to deduce where all the f2l pieces are most of the time, with some exceptions of course.
You can also try tracking your first f2l pair during EOCross for better cross-f2l transition, but it isn't necessary.

-For LL, make sure you're fingertricking all your algs properly and you can do them fast. I wouldn't recommend using COLL in solves, because it's slower than OCLL/PLL, but you should still learn how to recognize COLL because it's good practice for ZBLL recog later on.

-Make sure your fingertricks are good so you can avoid unnecessary regrips during f2l.
thanks for the tips

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want a "training plan", just make sure that every day you hit every aspect of your solve. Here's my suggestion:
  • Do at least an ao25 of EOCross every day, forccing yourself to plan the whole thing (or as far as your target is) before starting the solve (unlimited inspection). I would recommend doing this in a separate session to your main solves so that you can track improvements. For sub 10, you want to be aiming for sub 2.5 eventually.
  • Go through each individual F2L case, found here. The first solutions are probably the best (although they might change when someone finds a better alg). Anyway, the algs on there are more than good enough to get you sub 10. Each day maybe choose 3 to learn/drill. Once you've gone through them, just keep on top of the bad cases and drill your slowest ones every day (you should be able to sub .6 every pair eventually).
  • Drill OCLL/PLL until there's no more drilling to be done. Make sure you're using good algs such as these, although the OH ones are slightly iffy. Every day, go through all 21 PLLs so that they are reach a certain standard you set for yourself, but for sub 10 they should all be sub 1.2 and the vast majority sub 1 (except N perms and V perm).
  • To finish off, aim to do at least an ao50 every day using all that you learnt, but as long as you don't lose motivation, go for as many as you want.
In terms of when to learn new things and what to learn, once you've gone through that F2L sheet, I would recommend starting on either 2GLL or T ZBLL. Either way, if you want to progress quickly, the time between consolidation of things learnt and learning new things should be kept to the minimum.

RiceMan_

If you want a "training plan", just make sure that every day you hit every aspect of your solve. Here's my suggestion:
  • Do at least an ao25 of EOCross every day, forccing yourself to plan the whole thing (or as far as your target is) before starting the solve (unlimited inspection). I would recommend doing this in a separate session to your main solves so that you can track improvements. For sub 10, you want to be aiming for sub 2.5 eventually.
  • Go through each individual F2L case, found here. The first solutions are probably the best (although they might change when someone finds a better alg). Anyway, the algs on there are more than good enough to get you sub 10. Each day maybe choose 3 to learn/drill. Once you've gone through them, just keep on top of the bad cases and drill your slowest ones every day (you should be able to sub .6 every pair eventually).
  • Drill OCLL/PLL until there's no more drilling to be done. Make sure you're using good algs such as these, although the OH ones are slightly iffy. Every day, go through all 21 PLLs so that they are reach a certain standard you set for yourself, but for sub 10 they should all be sub 1.2 and the vast majority sub 1 (except N perms and V perm).
  • To finish off, aim to do at least an ao50 every day using all that you learnt, but as long as you don't lose motivation, go for as many as you want.
In terms of when to learn new things and what to learn, once you've gone through that F2L sheet, I would recommend starting on either 2GLL or T ZBLL. Either way, if you want to progress quickly, the time between consolidation of things learnt and learning new things should be kept to the minimum.
Thanks, ill make sure to do that everyday

RiceMan_

Week 2 has started, during week 1 i've learn how to plan EOLine, I still have to work on planning EOCross.
Goals for week 2: learn L shapes COLL

RiceMan_

I week 2 has ended few days ago. I didn't really do anything during week to so...
Goals for week 3: improve look-ahead