• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Review of Main 3x3x3 Cube Models and Clarification on the Naming System of Type A

Status
Not open for further replies.
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very Nice!

Pentrixter:

JB here with lubethecube.com and one half of howtocube on youtube. You really do have to take what we say with a grain of salt LOL!

I would like to address the Type I A concern you mentioned with our video. I think that while Roc says it has no "cutting ability," what he really meant is that for his style it has a higher chance to lock up, I will try to get in there an make an annotation. In our desperation to get a cube review out there we produced what exists currently and there are several instances like this that need to be annotated.

Also I think that based on your Type F assessments that "durability" might be a trait that should be scored. I am a Type F user and to me it's attributes are worth having two or three on hand as backup even though your criticism is valid. Not to mention the only color that I've been completely satisfied with is blue.

As you all might know there isn't really a comprehensive review of all the cubes available and considering you can spend thousands on getting all different types (trust us we have) there needs to be one. I've enjoyed pentrixter's guide and have learned a lot about type A's from it. As I hope that posters at this forum can learn something from us. FYI I have a few type B's and Type II A's in customs now so we will be producing a new video addressing those types soon.

The cube review page at our website will eventually contain in depth analysis of all types. Pentrixter, I would like your permission to use some of your pictures and/or link to your guide with appropriate credit being given of course. PM me if you are interested

Also Tribox indicates that Joy cubes seem to be discontinued, Can anyone confirm this or perhaps it's a bad translation. If confirmed then I think we're going to have to scratch it from our review unless someone can get us one.

Last edited:

pentrixter

Banned
I vote this thread to be promoted to a sticky thread. All in favor, say, 'I.'

"I."
In... Beginner's Central? It's already sticky in hardware. I'm grateful for your support of course.

I would like to address the Type I A concern you mentioned with our video. I think that while Roc says it has no "cutting ability," what he really meant is that for his style it has a higher chance to lock up, I will try to get in there an make an annotation. In our desperation to get a cube review out there we produced what exists currently and there are several instances like this that need to be annotated.
Alright! Thanks for clarifying.

Also I think that based on your Type F assessments that "durability" might be a trait that should be scored. I am a Type F user and to me it's attributes are worth having two or three on hand as backup even though your criticism is valid. Not to mention the only color that I've been completely satisfied with is blue.
So... durability of the Type F has been an issue for you too?

I would add durability as a trait to be scored, but I'm not sure if it can be quantified into a 1-10 scale. Perhaps, I can add it as a trait scored qualitatively that does not contribute to the overall or final score. I have not owned some cubes long enough to make a fair assessment. In addition, adding a durability section would seem like something done almost completely for the sake of the Type F as other models are more or less durable. Anyone have any ideas?

FYI I have a few type B's and Type II A's in customs now so we will be producing a new video addressing those types soon.
It would be nice to know what you think about these two hybrids:

Rubiks.com frame + B cubies
Diansheng (not sure 222 or 333) + B cubies

The first hybrid was what Erik Akkersdijk used to accomplish the world record of 7.08s for the 3x3x3. I have heard some good comments are the second hybrid. I'm not sure if you guys have the Diansheng no.222. The one you reviewed was the Diansheng no.333.

Also Tribox indicates that Joy cubes seem to be discontinued, Can anyone confirm this or perhaps it's a bad translation. If confirmed then I think we're going to have to scratch it from our review unless someone can get us one.
Awww WTF. Damn it all to hell.

YouTube
Visit Channel
So... durability of the Type F has been an issue for you too?

Not exactly in the sense that you describe, but to be fair a man can only cube so much and I have thirty plus cubes... Therefore I've not cubed for months on end with any of my F's other than my primary blue TYPE F. With that particular one I did experience a drop off in performance, but after more than a normal amount of adjusting tension and subseqently lubing with Jig A Loo it's back to its peak performance. I should state that up to this point it had only been lubed with whatever lube cube4you uses with it's lube and assemble service which I think is similar to the Rubiks.com and Puzzle Pros injectable silicone.

And you make a good point about the durability, it seems odd to throw that in just because of the F, but I plan to include it in the comments section of our cube review.

And we are planning to shoot the B and Type II A and Mini Dianshing video this weekend, I hope to have a section on Mods but that could be in another video, but don't worry we'll make it.

pentrixter

Banned
@JB: Sounds good. I think the Type F does do better with liquid lube. Blue cubes are so... ugly...

@ISuck: You can't get the JSK Clone at DX.

crispy1337

I have to disagree with you on the Edision Cubes just a little bit. There is definitely a break in period with those cubes. This is my main cube for a few months now and it takes time for it to reach it's best. The texture wears down a bit after good use and the speed also increases. It is really recommended to wipe it down or clean it after a month or so, and then relube it.

Otherwise Awesome Job on the reviews.

Last edited:

Jai

WCA
2007GAMB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's my review of the JSK Clone:

Resistance to pops: 9.75
Resistance to lock ups: 8
Ability to cut corners: 8.5
Speed: 9
Average score: 8.8
Overall score: A-

Weight: Heavy (a bit lighter than the Type A I)
Need to break in: Nope. Responds very well to lube.
Feel: Fast, crispy, around the same resistance (effort needed to turn) as a Rubik's DIY at low tension, but this feels more controlled and does not pop at all.

Comments: Highly recommended if you can get your hands on one. However, there have been complaints of the screws loosening themselves (and causing a bit of popping, which is why I did not give this cube a 10 to resistance to popping) similar to the problem that the new Type Ds have. I, personally, have experienced this problem, but I've had this for a few months, and the screws are fine after a bit of tightening. If this ever dies out on me like it did to Eric Limeback, I'll let you know. Besides that, it's an excellent cube that will never pop on you. The tension does not need adjusting; the default tension is good, like Dianshengs and Type Ds. Seeing as how this is a JSK Clone, it does resemble the Rubik's DIY (I don't have an actual JSK), but this feels much faster and more controlled. Also, it comes with an odd color scheme (white opposite orange), but you can always resticker with Cubesmith stickers.

Last edited:

DcF1337

Here's my review of the JSK Clone:

Resistance to pops: 9.75
Resistance to lock ups: 8
Ability to cut corners: 8.5
Speed: 9
Average score: 8.8
Overall score: A-

Weight: Heavy (a bit lighter than the Type A I)
Need to break in: Nope. Responds very well to lube.
Feel: Fast, crispy, around the same resistance as a Rubik's DIY at low tension, but this feels more controlled and does not pop at all.

Comments: Highly recommended if you can get your hands on one. However, there have been complaints of the screws loosening themselves, similar to the problem that the new Type Ds have. I, personally, have experienced this problem, but I've had this for a few months, and the screws are fine after a bit of tightening. If this ever dies out on me like it did to Eric Limeback, I'll let you know. Besides that, it's an excellent cube that will never pop on you. The tension does not need adjusting; the default tension is good, like Dianshengs and Type Ds.

Do you have the original JSK? If so, how does the clone compare to the original?

Jai

WCA
2007GAMB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Read my edit - I don't have the original JSK :(. However, Harris has one, and I'll be meeting him on Saturday at TOS (Toronto Open Summer), so I'll compare the two cubes there. I'll update my review to reflect the resemblance to the original JSK after that.

Last edited:

pentrixter

Banned
I have to disagree with you on the Edision Cubes just a little bit. There is definitely a break in period with those cubes. This is my main cube for a few months now and it takes time for it to reach it's best. The texture wears down a bit after good use and the speed also increases. It is really recommended to wipe it down or clean it after a month or so, and then relube it.

Otherwise Awesome Job on the reviews.
This makes sense to me and seems likely. I will edit the guide. Thanks for the input.

Read my edit - I don't have an actual JSK :(. However, Harris has one, and I'll be meeting him on Saturday at TOS (Toronto Open Summer), so I'll compare the two cubes there. I'll update my review to reflect the resemblance to the original JSK after that.
I might add an extra section with reviews not by me. I'll take the section down if people start mass producing reviews that disagree with each other; but I really don't think that will happen.

Yoshikee

So like i said i would i got a type f and 2 DS cubes the turning on thoes cubes are effortless i must say. They are very light in comparison to the c4y diy i have been getting solves in the 30's every time with the new type f the DS cube is good also just locks up for me. I would recommend a type f to anyone.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am going to have to disagree with your review of the Cube4You cube on a number of counts.

All of the mixed reviews can be explained by the simple fact that the consistency of the cube depends entirely on the person assembling it. A lot of the popping and locking problems people have stem from problems with the initial assembly (usually relating to the edge caps). I've also known a number of people to assemble them and quickly give up on them without even lubing, which is a stupid mistake. I think lube makes a huge difference in C4Y cubes. You will find that the people who swear by their C4Y cubes (like myself) do not have the frequently reported issues of pops and lock-ups. I was shocked an confused the first time my C4Y popped, because I had been using it for more than a month. Dan Cohen uses it for BLD because he knows that he can turn quickly and it is never going to pop. For those with popping problems I would recommend tightening a bit. Much like the D/A-core hybrid, C4Y cubes retain good speed and corner cutting even at higher tensions.

So I guess my main point is that they are NOT consistent cubes, at least not from person to person. Many people who bashed C4Y cubes in the past changed their tune after using mine.

pentrixter

Banned
I bought mine assembled. I have tried the cube at different tensions. I have never experienced nor mentioned any problems regarding the edge caps. Also, my C4U cube is adequately lubed. However, I will try the cube at a tighter tension again just to make sure.

I use the term "consistent" to describe the quality of the cubes itself. I do not use the term with respect to people's cube assembly and tension adjusting habits.

EDIT: Vault312, you are right. One regrade coming up! But even after regrade, the C4U is still not the cube for me. It might be the cube4you though! HAH.

This experienced has encouraged me to be even more objective by stating the tension of the cubes when they were graded. There are two immediate implications for this extra tension distinction. It states the tension that I think the cube performs best in and it gives people and it increases objectivity.

Last edited:

pentrixter

Banned
Eh... I always thought the Icon was just a storebought with bad stickers. Rubik's products are inconsistent. You can get a really fast storebought if you're lucky. Also the Icon is not popular, so I probably won't review it... or buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.