• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Blindfold Cubing Discussion

TheGrayCuber

WCA
2012GRAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel

sigalig

WCA
2016SIGG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Guys. I need to know how to transition from OP corners to 3-style corners. My OP buffer is UBL but my 3style buffer will be UFR. How can I do this transition and still do M2 edges for now???

I would recommend learning orozco for UFR corners. Of course you would also need to learn new corner parity algs. I think probably the best thing to do would be to learn corner parity algs that swap UFR+xyz corners and UF+UR edges. Then for M2 you should employ the UF/UR swap for parity scrambles.

U

Underwatercuber

Hey Guys. I need to know how to transition from OP corners to 3-style corners. My OP buffer is UBL but my 3style buffer will be UFR. How can I do this transition and still do M2 edges for now???
Just like graham said orozco is really great for this. I have a written tutorial here

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would recommend learning orozco for UFR corners. Of course you would also need to learn new corner parity algs. I think probably the best thing to do would be to learn corner parity algs that swap UFR+xyz corners and UF+UR edges. Then for M2 you should employ the UF/UR swap for parity scrambles.
so then after that I can easily transfer to 3Style corners later on?
And for edges? Can I just stay with M2 and then later direct to 3style?

U

Underwatercuber

so then after that I can easily transfer to 3Style corners later on?
And for edges? Can I just stay with M2 and then later direct to 3style?
You can transfer to 3 style pretty gradually and easy win orozco. For edges you could stick with M2 or you could switch to U2, Orozco or TuRBo to get the UF buffer.

Martial

WCA
2013BONA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, I have a question about the way you chose your comms : what do you think is better between those algs and why?
[UR'UD:[D2, RU'R']] (setup into 9-moves comm)
[UR'U':[R'U'R, D2]] (setup into 8-moves comm)
Thanks for the answers ;)

Thom S.

I have done a lot of sighted solves and no matter if there are even or odd edges/corners I never have to do the parity alg, and I really do not know how that is.

Older Question but I finally found your answer.
When you do sighted solves you probably just solved your corners and edges without memoing them at first. You won't get Parity with that because if you have an odd number of targets and no memo, so you accidentally swapped to even parity without noticing

BlurryZMan

I have a question pertaining to memorizing. I've seen many people memorizing letters in pairs of two and associating a sound and image to them, and I started to make my own list of each letter pair (ex. bc, bd, etc.). I realized I have to make over 500 pairs; 506 I think, correct me if I'm wrong (no a, y, or z; and no doubles [ex. bb]). This seems like a tedious process and I'm not sure if this is the way I should be going about making my pairs.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a question pertaining to memorizing. I've seen many people memorizing letters in pairs of two and associating a sound and image to them, and I started to make my own list of each letter pair (ex. bc, bd, etc.). I realized I have to make over 500 pairs; 506 I think, correct me if I'm wrong (no a, y, or z; and no doubles [ex. bb]). This seems like a tedious process and I'm not sure if this is the way I should be going about making my pairs.
Yes, that's the way it is done. It is rather tedious, but it's nice once you have them finished!

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It sounds like a lot, but in reality you'll already have a pretty good idea what you might want to use. About 80-90% will be easy.

For example: FK, CK, PS, BJ are obviously rude words, which are actually better choices, because they're easier to remember.

BA, CW, SH and GF could all be animals. You can use friends' initials, famous people, or maybe just simple words.

Try a few solves where you choose letter pairs as you go, you'll be surprised about how much easier it is than you think. If you get stuck, you can try placing vowels in between two letters to make a word (for example, JM could be jim, jam, jem, etc.)

If the word is too hard, you can do a search and find lists that other cubers have made for inspiration. You can also try reading the blog post in my signature if you have no idea what I'm saying.

Good luck!

BlurryZMan

It sounds like a lot, but in reality you'll already have a pretty good idea what you might want to use. About 80-90% will be easy.

For example: FK, CK, PS, BJ are obviously rude words, which are actually better choices, because they're easier to remember.

BA, CW, SH and GF could all be animals. You can use friends' initials, famous people, or maybe just simple words.

Try a few solves where you choose letter pairs as you go, you'll be surprised about how much easier it is than you think. If you get stuck, you can try placing vowels in between two letters to make a word (for example, JM could be jim, jam, jem, etc.)

If the word is too hard, you can do a search and find lists that other cubers have made for inspiration. You can also try reading the blog post in my signature if you have no idea what I'm saying.

Good luck!
Thanks! One more question though. How do I create words for everything with Q in it? Sometimes I have no idea what to put for certain combinations and the ones I do come up with don't feel easy to memorize. Is there a spreadsheet or guide anyone has that has an example for all the combos?

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks! One more question though. How do I create words for everything with Q in it? Sometimes I have no idea what to put for certain combinations and the ones I do come up with don't feel easy to memorize. Is there a spreadsheet or guide anyone has that has an example for all the combos?

Some things with Q can be hard, I would suggest:

Looking at other lists
Switching Q out for another sound, like CH.
Assigning random things to the pairs.

BlurryZMan

Some things with Q can be hard, I would suggest:

Looking at other lists
Switching Q out for another sound, like CH.
Assigning random things to the pairs.
For beginners do you recommend learning both sounds and images, or just starting out with sounds or images separately before incorporating both into a solve (memo corners with images, memo edges with sounds, solve edges, solve corners)