• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Blindfold Cubing Discussion

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
Would it be reasonable to request the competition to be on the date you were going to be there? (I know it depends on a lot of things, but in general is this something that could be done?).

I mean there's no reason you physically could not ask this question. You will probably be pretty low priority though, behind venue availability, delegate availability, organizer availability, scramblers/runners/judges availability, organizer's friends availability, etc. Nothing is stopping you though.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been blindsolving the 3 by 3 for the last 5 months( PB: 48.56 secs) and now I am interested in 4BLD. I currently use U2 for centers, r2 for wings and Old Pochmann for corners. I got my first 4BLD sucess yesterday with a time of 23 mins 47 secs.
Now I need a good memo system for 4blind, can anyone suggest some best 4BLD memo systems. I currently memo corners, then wings and then centers with just simple letters pairs and keep on memorising them until they become solid in my brain.
And one last thing does solving corners first, effect the wings or centers, especially during parity and solving wings first, effect the centers and corners?

Sue Doenim

I have been blindsolving the 3 by 3 for the last 5 months( PB: 48.56 secs) and now I am interested in 4BLD. I currently use U2 for centers, r2 for wings and Old Pochmann for corners. I got my first 4BLD sucess yesterday with a time of 23 mins 47 secs.
Now I need a good memo system for 4blind, can anyone suggest some best 4BLD memo systems. I currently memo corners, then wings and then centers with just simple letters pairs and keep on memorising them until they become solid in my brain.
And one last thing does solving corners first, effect the wings or centers, especially during parity and solving wings first, effect the centers and corners?
I'm about your same level, and I kind of have the same question about memo. I do know, though, that you want to do centers first. When you do corners, you are going to end up with the top center randomly oriented. Parity will also rotate centers. So, you're going to want to do centers first.

TheGrayCuber

WCA
2012GRAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel

You should memorize the letter pairs in groups. It is much easier to remember a hippo using an axe to smash a car in the rain, as opposed to hippo, axe, car, rain. I generally use groups of 4 images, but you can find what is most comfortable for you.
If you use OP for corners, that should be last. The y-perm moves the centers, and you don’t want to have to think about that when you could execute corners last instead. I would suggest this order: memo corners, memo wings, memo center, solve centers, solve wings, solve corners.

WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel

You should definitely start using Roman Rooms to memorize 4BLD and beyond. It's a faster, safer and overall more reliable and streamlined method for long term memorization of massive information.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should memorize the letter pairs in groups. It is much easier to remember a hippo using an axe to smash a car in the rain, as opposed to hippo, axe, car, rain. I generally use groups of 4 images, but you can find what is most comfortable for you.
If you use OP for corners, that should be last. The y-perm moves the centers, and you don’t want to have to think about that when you could execute corners last instead. I would suggest this order: memo corners, memo wings, memo center, solve centers, solve wings, solve corners.
Thanks!
But I also want to use audio in my 4blind memo,but don't know where to use it.I will not use it in my corners as I will memo them first( as you recomended).
I sometimes think that I should try audio on my centers, but since centers have so many letters pairs I am afraid to do so( as I might forget them during execution).
I am not very good at story making with letter pairs but now I think I should practice them more.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did a cool thing with one of the multiBLD scrambles for this week. If you haven't done it yet and want to do it don't look at it.

10. F2 B R' D' U F' D2 U2 L B D U L R D B' F D2 R2 U' B' Rw Uw'
Nothing interesting in edges
[R': U' L' U, R2]
[D R':R' U R, D2]
[R' D' R, U2]
U2 H perm

Not sure why I decided to try that in multi when I just needed to do 2 comms but I got it right.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should definitely start using Roman Rooms to memorize 4BLD and beyond. It's a faster, safer and overall more reliable and streamlined method for long term memorization of massive information.
Thanks!
But, I have no idea of what Roman rooms are even though I have heard the term before.
Can you please explain in detail how do you use Roman Rooms in 4blind memorisation.

TheGrayCuber

WCA
2012GRAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks!
But, I have no idea of what Roman rooms are even though I have heard the term before.
Can you please explain in detail how do you use Roman Rooms in 4blind memorisation.

Roman rooms is a way to memorize large amounts of letter pairs. You have predetermined rooms in which you place the memo. For example, I use my living room, then my kitchen, then my brother’s room, etc. Once you get a group of letter pairs to form an image, you imagine that image happening in the next room.
I find it more efficient to use multiple locations for each room. I split each room into 9 parts: the center, 4 edges, and 4 corners. This allows me to store 3 3x3s in a room: one location for corners, and 2 locations for edges. It also allows me to store one 4x4 in a room: 3 locations for wings, 2 or 3 for centers, and 1 for corners.

As far as audio goes, I wouldn’t recommend using audio for centers at your speed. The only plausible type of piece to memorize with audio would be corners, but you would need to do corners with 3-style if you want to do them before centers. Don’t worry about memorizing with audio, there are better ways to cut down on time.

U

Underwatercuber

I always have, I do and I always will <3

Something else: how do people do parity with a UBL buffer for corners and a UF buffer using turbo i memorise corners first and execute them last
Memo corners
> if even number of targets solve like normal
> if odd number then solve like normal except solve UL to the UB posisiton and vice versa

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If anyone wants to intentionally practise hard 3BLD scrambles, here you are.

1. 6-move scrambles
  2. no solved edges
  3. at least 5 edges cycles
  4. at most one flipped edge (counts as a separate cycle)
  5. one of the cycles being at least 3 edges long (so that we not only have 2cycles on the cube)

D F U B R L'
U B R F L D'
D F U R B L'
D F B' L U R
R F L D' B U
U R F L D' B
F L B R D' U
B F' R' U' L' D'
B U L F R' D
D' B R' U' F' L'
B U F R' L D
L U F R B' D
D' R F' U' B' L'
U' F' R' B' L' D
D' R F L B U
D' B R' U' L' F'
D' R F' U' B' L'
L R' B U F D
U' B' L' F' R' D
D R F U B L'
D B' L F U R
B U F L R' D
F' R' D B' L' U'
R' F' U' L' B D'
D L U R F B'
R' U' L' F' B D'
D L' F' R' B' U'
B U L F R' D
D L F U R B'
B U L F R' D
D' B R' U' F' L'
D' F' U' B' R L'
U' F' R' B' L' D
D B' L F U R
B R F L D' U
D' U R F L B
D F B' L U R
B D' R F L U
D' R F' L' U' B'
B' L' F' R' D U'
U' L' F' R' D B'
L U R B' F D
F L B R D' U
L U F R B' D
R' B U L F D
U F L B R D'
D L' F' R' B' U'
L U F R B' D
B' L' F' R' D U'
U F L B R D'
B U F L R' D
D' L B R F U
F' R' B' L' U' D
D' F' U' B' L' R
R' L B' U' F' D'
D L' F' R' B' U'
R' L B U F D
F' R' B' L' U' D
D' B R' U' L' F'
L B U F R' D
F L D' B R U
B R' U' L' F' D'
D' B R' F' U' L'
U F L D' B R
B' L' F' R' U' D
D' F' B R' U' L'
D B' F L U R
R' L B' U' F' D'
R' L B' U' F' D'
D' F' B R' U' L'
D' R F' U' L' B'
B R' U' F' L' D'
D F L U R B'
D' F' U' L' B' R
U F L B R D'
U B R F L D'
D L U R F B'
U B D' R F L
B' D L' F' R' U'
D B' F L U R
R' B' D L' F' U'
D U' R' B' L' F'
F' R' U' L' B D'
D F U B L' R
D L' F' R' B' U'

As usually, this is a part of a bigger thing that I will probably share here someday ;)

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Upd: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tSEOis5vEbVCSgFGAnCHux7zDs6M9lUO11eRw0E9Gvg/edit?usp=sharing
2e2e explanation:
Your buffer is UF and your second floating is UB. All these scrambles have UB and UF in the separate chains, and the chain that starts with UB also ends up with UB (not BU). At the end of your execution you have UF swapped with some piece and UB swapped with some other piece. And now the guy who claims to know all the algs for these 2e2e cases is now extremely happy to have the scrambles to practise.

Alex B71

Has anyone got any tips regarding nerves for BLD. I'm attending my first competition tomorrow (It starts today but the events I'm doing are tomorrow) and I know I'm going to be annoyed if i don't atleast get a sub-1. I didn't think the nerves would affect me but on the 6 hour train ride down to the location I only managed to get a 52 and accuracy was awful. Solving normally seems to be fine but BLD is weirdly difficult. But then again, yesterday on that train was the first time I've tried BLD infront of people.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone got any tips regarding nerves for BLD. I'm attending my first competition tomorrow (It starts today but the events I'm doing are tomorrow) and I know I'm going to be annoyed if i don't atleast get a sub-1. I didn't think the nerves would affect me but on the 6 hour train ride down to the location I only managed to get a 52 and accuracy was awful. Solving normally seems to be fine but BLD is weirdly difficult. But then again, yesterday on that train was the first time I've tried BLD infront of people.
What is nerves for BLD?