• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Blindfold Cubing Discussion

pinser

WCA
2016GOHT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does having all the edges oriented provide a significant advantage? Would it be easier to use 5-cycles or some other fast method?
What about having corners oriented?

sigalig

WCA
2016SIGG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any of you guys ever listen to any kind of music during blind solves? Obviously any music with lyrics will mess me up, but naturally I would expect classical piano/orchestral pieces or jazz with no lyrics to not mess me up but I think it actually does mess with me.

D

Daniel Lin

Does having all the edges oriented provide a significant advantage? Would it be easier to use 5-cycles or some other fast method?
What about having corners oriented?
not sure, but I don't think so. Oriented edges only help for regular speedsolving. And i think the idea of 5style was dismissed a while ago

Altha

WCA
2014CAIJ02
YouTube
Visit Channel
A question I'm a lot more curious about though is why kaijun leaves his blindfold very high up his head and uses his palm to don it unlike a lot of other top blders :p (I'm guessing it's because he's comfortable and used to it but still)

D

Daniel Lin

weird that 4BLD takes twice as long as 2/2 multi

they're almost the same amount of information to memorize

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel

Comparing 4BLD with 3BLD, WR solves are about 5.5x slower despite there being only about 2.2x the info/targets. Kaijun's 2:02 had 47 sec memo and 1:15 execution (can't find a vid of the 1:41). Ratio of exec to memo is about 1.6:1 which is about the same as world class 3BLD, so it's not like either memo or execution is more to blame for the 5.5x. I wonder if one day we'll see 4BLD sub-1?

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

The information is simply more difficult to memorize.

For example, you can be strategic with center cycles, memorizing cycles of certain lengths and reducing the amount of work you have to do later. Plus the fact that the cube is simply bigger, so finding new cycles can trickier.

I would bet that those two multi cubes had solved pieces on each of them and no parity.

D

Daniel Lin

For example, you can be strategic with center cycles, memorizing cycles of certain lengths and reducing the amount of work you have to do later.
uhh not sure what you mean

Plus the fact that the cube is simply bigger, so finding new cycles can trickier.
oh yeah. That's only a problem for wings though right? because if you have a system for memoing centers and you put you fingers on the pieces it's not tricky at all. And even for wings sometimes you get lucky and get no cycle breaks(kinda rare tho)

I would bet that those two multi cubes had solved pieces on each of them and no parity
but if you get an easy parity case like J perm it should take about the same time to execute as a 3cycle. So i don't think parity really slows down solves much

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
uhh not sure what you mean

*other stuff*

Yeah, you're right about the wings. My 2:02 had one wing cycle - if I was at my best that should have been 1:50.xx (I even did r2 for a few cases in that solve, teehee.)

If you're interested, read the miscellaneous techniques article in my sig, but basically:
  • You don't have to memorize 4BLD centers in one set way. You can shoot to different center positions to avoid 2-cycles, for example.
  • This requires extra thought in order to keep track of what you have memorized and what you haven't (during memo, of course.) Therefore, it's more difficult.
  • Benefit of this is reducing the number of algs you need to go in order to execute centers.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
D2 L2 R' B2 D2 R F2 U2 R F L2 B2 U' F2 U2 B' U L U' R' Fw Uw2

One of the MBLD scrambles for malaysia cube open 2016, 1 corner target, 3 twisted corners if you have the right orientation/buffers