• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Blindfold Cubing Discussion

kake123

WCA
2016SOON01
Just wondering, for those who are doing massive number of cubes in mbld

Which is better?

1. 35 cubes that is A
2. 25 cubes that is A and 10 cubes that is B
3. 15 cubes that is A, 10 cubes B and 10 cubes C
4. Most of the 35 cubes are different (e.g stickerless, black, white, primary, grey, cyan, brown, etc)

Where A is the original stickerless guoguan yuexiao, B is the new stickerless guoguan yuexiao and C is black/white guoguan yuexiao.

I couldn't think of any other way to phrase my question, but I hope anyone reading this gets what i'm talking about.

D

Daniel Lin

For 5BLD,
If your last midge target is BD, instead of doing M2 D U R2 U' M' U R2 U' M D' and then U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U
you can just do M' U M' U' M U M U'

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
oh i see. that's weird. I just assumed 3x3 algs would transfer to a 5x5, I guess not
Even if it didn't mess up centres, how does it help? It leaves UB and UL midges swapped like you would want for OP but it doesn't swap the UB and UL wings. If you solve corner parity by swapping wings during memo then you might as well do that for midges too.

D

Daniel Lin

Even if it didn't mess up centres, how does it help? It leaves UB and UL midges swapped like you would want for OP but it doesn't swap the UB and UL wings. If you solve corner parity by swapping wings during memo then you might as well do that for midges too.
The way I do parity is do U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U after I solve the midges. That leaves UB and UL swapped. Then after my last OP target, it swaps those midges back, as well as swapping 4 wings. Then I solve the wings using [U2 sexy: Rw2 F2 U2 r2 U2 F2 Rw2]. I think Cale does that too

What's the fastest way to do parity in 5BLD?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know, I'm too slow to answer that. I do it similarly to you except I fix wings at the same time as midges rather than leaving them to the end. D' L2 D M2 F2 wing swap F2 D' L2 D.

The alg you posted seems more interesting for 3BLD than 5BLD.

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know, but:

When I used DF I would execute corners/midges first, leave UBL/UBR and DF/UB swapped, and at the end of the solve:
M2 U' F2 U M2 U2 (Rw2 U2 F2 r2 F2 U2 Rw2) U F2 U

Now I use UF, I leave UBL/UBR and UF/UB, and do (Rw2 F2 U2 r2 U2 F2 Rw2) U (T-perm) U'

Also when I have double parity, I do it all at once at the end with r (OLL parity) r', aka:
r (Rw2 F2 Rw U2 Rw U2' x U2 Rw U2' Rw' U2 Rw U2' Rw2 U2' x' U2) r'

xchippy

How do I fingertrick the E slice well? There are some comms that have the E slice in it that I'm very slow at

F

fp4316

If you do the cycle DF UB FR (assuming you double flick with lefty pinky->ring), there are essentially no regrips. If you do DF UB FL, there is a regrip because you are double flicking with the same hand that has to do the insertion, so the case is slower. Does this mean it's beneficial to become versatile in mirror cases (e.g. righty M2)?

The only counterargument I can think of is that switching between lefty and righty M2s may require more regrips between comms, but I don't even think this is the case. If you look at the case DF FU RB, it sets you up to continue with a lefty M move, and vice versa. Since edges are essentially symmetric, this implies there are the same amount of comms that would be quicker to continue on a lefty M move as a righty M move, meaning there wouldn't actually be any additional regrips if you learned righty M cases.

Even cases such as DF UL FR are faster than their mirrors because there are fewer / no regrips given you are using a lefty M for both.