• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Random Blindfold Cubing Discussion

WCA
2011BANS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What should you do if you notice duplicate scrambles in an official MBLD attempt? I remember a few people saying this happened at Nationals and I have no idea what I would do in that situation
I have had this happen to me like 3 times officially :p

All times I called the delegate and got one of the cubes re scrambled during the attempt itself

josh42732

How many letter pairs are in + centers on average? I just got back into 5BLD (mostly because of how terrible my aochuang is but just got a yuxin today) and was thinking about a new journey for the + centers. Or could I just do my normal center journey twice and have a distinct difference between X and +? Like one of them think red and the other one think blue and everything I memo is either red or blue or something like that. Also, is midges just the same amount as edges for 3BLD? I audio memo for edges for 3BLD then solve them first so I was thinking I could just do that.

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
How many letter pairs are in + centers on average? I just got back into 5BLD (mostly because of how terrible my aochuang is but just got a yuxin today) and was thinking about a new journey for the + centers. Or could I just do my normal center journey twice and have a distinct difference between X and +? Like one of them think red and the other one think blue and everything I memo is either red or blue or something like that. Also, is midges just the same amount as edges for 3BLD? I audio memo for edges for 3BLD then solve them first so I was thinking I could just do that.
Midges are the same as 3x3 edges, I think centers are about 10 letter pairs each on average.

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What should you do if you notice duplicate scrambles in an official MBLD attempt? I remember a few people saying this happened at Nationals and I have no idea what I would do in that situation
I am ashamed to admit it, but when I got this for the first time I pretended everything is OK and kept on memorizng other cubes. Eventually I ended up having both cubes DNFed the same way (lol), and then I told the delegate.
He said that if I happen to notice the duplicate early enough, I should tell my judge to call someone to re-scramble it.

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any tips for 4BLD? I just filmed a solve, but unfortunately deleted the footage, the splits were:
Centre memo: 1:10
Corner memo + review both: 31
Wing memo + review all: 2:04
Total memo time: ~3:45
Wing execution: 1:24
Centre execution: 1:59
Corner execution: 32
Total time: 7:40
Sadly, the solve was a DNF by 3 centres, I don't know why, but does anyone have any advice on what to improve on? Method is U2/r2/OP

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any tips for 4BLD? I just filmed a solve, but unfortunately deleted the footage, the splits were:
Centre memo: 1:10
Corner memo + review both: 31
Wing memo + review all: 2:04
Total memo time: ~3:45
Wing execution: 1:24
Centre execution: 1:59
Corner execution: 32
Total time: 7:40
Sadly, the solve was a DNF by 3 centres, I don't know why, but does anyone have any advice on what to improve on? Method is U2/r2/OP
Sure!

I think your splits are fairly normal and they can all be improved with just more practice. You'll become faster at searching for pieces and you will become more comfortable with your memory method and hold onto images for longer.

General tips:
# Work on center execution. If you are using U2, then you will be using a lot of moves, so drill your algs as much as possible as you can get it to be a bit of a brain-dead process.
# Learn a few simple commutator cases for awkward U2 cases. 8-10 moves for an easy-to-see commutator case against 14-18 moves. Here are some goodies: [U r2 U', l'], [l', U r' U'].
# Perhaps learn some easy advanced M2 cases. For example, instead of doing 9 moves to solve RBd or LBu, do a B or B' setup to easy r2 case.
# Practice

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I came across this video tonight because I'm getting into a bad habit of reading up on BLD stuff when I could be practicing :p (Check out the way he solves corners doeeee). However, I think I've as a result come across something that may potentially be a better system for how I solve 3BLD sometimes, and definitely better for multi when it comes up.

Right now my system for 3BLD is pretty much identical to Noah's (corners with image, use of "good" and "bad" flips for twisted corners, switching UB and UL during edge memo if I have parity etc). With this idea I stumbled upon, I can very easily make solves with parity and one twisted corner outside of the buffer more efficient in the execution stage, but not necessarily better in the memo phase as I can memo "good" or "bad" faster than new letters. Still, here's an example of how I would make such solves better, using my official 38 scramble (See thread for original reconstruction to compare).

B2 L' R B2 D2 L2 U2 L2 B R2 F' U R' F' D' R' U' F2 L' Fw' Uw'

Memo:

Corners: BirDo is UTterly InKy whilst Nuzzling
Edges: WFIN ADPA KERY

x y2
L' u M' u2 M' u L
[z' ; [M' , U R U']
[M2 , R U R' U']
[U' L U , M2]
[U' R2 U , M']
[D' , M' U' M]

x R2' D2 R U2 R' D2 R U2 R x'
z x' R2 D2 R' U2 R D2 R' U2 R' x z'
[F L2 F' , R]
D' R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R

All I did was continue memoing after my last "real" target to the twisted corner and choose a sticker that was interchangeable with the previous piece. When the previous piece is a polar opposite however, you would choose a sticker interchangeable with the buffer, because one of the two interchanges is always possible.

In doing this, ~100% of the time you'll replace an OP corner target>corner twist alg with an easy comm>OP target, and also eliminate having to memo a twisted corner which is nice if you don't have a good system for memoing them. Unfortunately, I have a system for memoing all types of twisted pieces that works really well for me with little added info to my memo, so I'm unsure if I'll pick this new technique up or not.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I came across this video tonight because I'm getting into a bad habit of reading up on BLD stuff when I could be practicing :p (Check out the way he solves corners doeeee). However, I think I've as a result come across something that may potentially be a better system for how I solve 3BLD sometimes, and definitely better for multi when it comes up.

Right now my system for 3BLD is pretty much identical to Noah's (corners with image, use of "good" and "bad" flips for twisted corners, switching UB and UL during edge memo if I have parity etc). With this idea I stumbled upon, I can very easily make solves with parity and one twisted corner outside of the buffer more efficient in the execution stage, but not necessarily better in the memo phase as I can memo "good" or "bad" faster than new letters. Still, here's an example of how I would make such solves better, using my official 38 scramble (See thread for original reconstruction to compare).

B2 L' R B2 D2 L2 U2 L2 B R2 F' U R' F' D' R' U' F2 L' Fw' Uw'

Memo:

Corners: BirDo is UTterly InKy whilst Nuzzling
Edges: WFIN ADPA KERY

x y2
L' u M' u2 M' u L
[z' ; [M' , U R U']
[M2 , R U R' U']
[U' L U , M2]
[U' R2 U , M']
[D' , M' U' M]

x R2' D2 R U2 R' D2 R U2 R x'
z x' R2 D2 R' U2 R D2 R' U2 R' x z'
[F L2 F' , R]
D' R U' R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R

All I did was continue memoing after my last "real" target to the twisted corner and choose a sticker that was interchangeable with the previous piece. When the previous piece is a polar opposite however, you would choose a sticker interchangeable with the buffer, because one of the two interchanges is always possible.

In doing this, ~100% of the time you'll replace an OP corner target>corner twist alg with an easy comm>OP target, and also eliminate having to memo a twisted corner which is nice if you don't have a good system for memoing them. Unfortunately, I have a system for memoing all types of twisted pieces that works really well for me with little added info to my memo, so I'm unsure if I'll pick this new technique up or not.
I use this. I remember the corner as an extra letter. I actually like that it allows me to have an even number of targets in my memo, because I'm bad at remembering single letters. I just remember that I have parity so that I don't forget to do the OP target at the end.

I always choose the sticker of the twisted corner with white/yellow to shoot to first, because it requires less thinking and I'm happy enough with most of my comms. Choosing the best sticker is probably better in the long run though.

If you can remember the twisted corner with a different method, you should still be able to figure out how to use this method during solves though right? You just need to figure out whether the corner needs to go clockwise or anticlockwise. Can probably be done with practise.

wir3sandfir3s

YouTube
Visit Channel
The reason I have never completed 3BLD is cycles. My memory is fine, but I absolutely hate memorizing cycles, mostly edges. If I can get over this, I should be able to do it no problem. Any solution or suggestion or whatever is appreciated, thanks :D

Altha

WCA
2014CAIJ02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I'm just starting to learn edge comms (DF) for 3 style and I'm trying to decide how I'm most going to execute the M moves (not M' just M)
I've experimented with my thumb, my index and pushing back with my ring finger.
So for instance, M' (U L2 U') M (U L2 U'), how would you guys execute this comm?
(btw I use lefty for pretty much all M moves)

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm having trouble being able to figure out when I'm "done" memorizing. I really only have trouble with edges. I run out of fingers to touch the ones I've memo'd already. Does it just come with time? Or is there a method?