• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Race to Full ZB/ZBLL

RyanP12

WCA
2019PUSH02
I’m going to going this race
T- 6/72
Started yesterday, what recog method do you guys use? One of the reasons I learn slowly is because of recog.

Ok here we go,
H: 13/40
Pi: 6/72
L: 5/72
T: 4/72
U: 4/72
S: 3/72
As: 3/72

EDIT: also, does anybody know of any videos that explain two sided recog?

Last edited:

PetrusQuber

WCA
2020XIEC01
I’m going to going this race
T- 6/72
Started yesterday, what recog method do you guys use? One of the reasons I learn slowly is because of recog.
Recognise COLL case, then look at the UFR corner and it’s surrounding stickers is what I do. E.g. There’s a 2x2x1 at UFR, the stickers are all adjacent to each other, etc.

493-21=482 (PLLs)
482-144=338 (AS and S) if I do them
338-30=308 (COLLs)
308-4=304 (ZBLLs learnt so far)
304 algs left to go! Also, should I learn AS and S???

Ok never mind, I read @Tao Yu ’s post from a while back, saying I should probably decide when I’ve finished everything else, as it is worth it, but gives less to you than learning other sets.

Last edited:

GenTheThief

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As for the actual ZBLL cases, I ordered them by CC, CA, CO, AA, AC, AO, OO, OC, AC,
OxO, CxO, OxC. This helped to keep the document organized and neat.
This recognition system is called the Harris/Baum system, which compares the FU and RU edge
stickers to the FUR and RUF corner stickers, respectively. Jason Baum, again, has a great way
of explaining this on his website (I've modified this description slightly to account for our differences
in the lettering system):

There are three parts to recognizing ZBLL cases. First, you see what orientation case you
have. Then, you see what COLL case you have within that orientation. Finally, you see what
edge permutation you have within that COLL case. The first two steps should be fairly
straight forward, as long as your COLL is solid. However, recognizing the edges can be
tricky. Dan Harris came up with a pretty good way of recognizing this, and it is what I will
be using here. I've adapted some of the different cases to better suit me, but the core idea is
all his. Basically, there are four stickers you look at: FU, FUR, RUF, and RU. You are going
to determine the relationship between these stickers. Depending on the case you have, you
will either look at the relationship between FU and FUR-RUF and RU, or FU and RUF-
FUR and RU. The first relationship is more common. For example, FU and FUR could be
the same color, while RUF and RU could be opposite colors. This case is denoted as CO
(Correct/Opposite). The second relationship is less common and can be tricky to recognize
at first, but it gets easier with practice. These cases are denoted by an 'x', because the
stickers you are recognizing cross with each other. For example, if the case is OxO, that
means that FU and RUF are opposite, and FUR and RU are also opposite. CxO and OxC
are pretty tough to recognize, but this is the best way that I've found for me to deal with
them. Fortunately, the rest of the sticker relationships are very easy to recognize. There are
12 ways the stickers can possibly be.
This is a really good written description of a 2-sided recognition system called Harris/Baum. It's from this zbll google doc, second to last page of the intro before the algs start; I don't know if the algs are obsolete or if they're still good though.

I don't know of a video on 2-sided, but I'm sure you could search 'harris/baum zbll recognition' on YouTube and get a good result.

Want to hide this ad and support the community?