• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Preview of my JavaScript Timer

K073

Pyraminx is the puzzle I'm best at... so the timer I want to use should REALLY have pyraminx scrambles hehe :p
I don't need a scramble preview... just the scramble :p and as long as the move count is sub 20 I'm happy xD

alright. you wish is granted. with preview! but i don't know whether it works or not because i don't have pyraminx

blah

brah
Whoa whoa whoa. Why wasn't I informed of this? This isn't very nice. Really. Not nice.

Last edited:

blah

brah
Just because the source is open (because I really don't know how to make it "closed" anyway) doesn't give you ANY right to tweak it and claim ownership over MY intellectual property. I really don't like how this is turning out. The only person to whom I gave full permission to alter my work to his liking was Conrad.

K073

i did give you credits and i did said that this timer is based on your previous works. it has lots of difference with your timer

Edward

WCA
2011KING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i did give you credits and i did said that this timer is based on your previous works. it has lots of difference with your timer

I dont think your allowed to use his source without permission, even if its open. If you made an awesome, open source game, and i took your source without your permission and made a game with it, would you be happy?

Johannes91

it's open source rite?
Sounds like you have no idea what that means (see open source definition). The author has the copyright and unless he explicitly gives permission (like releasing it under GPL or BSD or some other open source license), you are not allowed to make derivative works or claim it your own etc. even if you have access to the source.

K073

even if I don't modify it(I just took how the timer save times), I can simply re-write all the scripts using the same style and claim it as mine or I could just copy and paste and edit all the strings, but now I'm not claiming the timer is fully my project but I mix many programs all together to make a better timer which suits my style which I hope suits other cubers too. And the main thing is, I gain no benefit with this timer. One more thing, major scripts in the timer's source codes is written by me, just to make things clearer.

Johannes91

even if I don't modify it(I just took how the timer save times), I can simply re-write all the scripts using the same style and claim it as mine
If you genuinely rewrite it from scratch without using any of the original source, that's fine of course.

or I could just copy and paste and edit all the strings
But that's obviously not ok.

but now I'm not claiming the timer is fully my project but I mix many programs all together
If the people who wrote those programs don't let you use them, you're being a jackass. Giving them credit doesn't change anything.

K073

what I meant was, only 25-35% of the codes belongs to the original code of the timer. And from the original codes, I cut off almost 60% including the scramblers, puzzles, extra functions etc.

Last edited:

blah

brah
Doesn't solve the problem that he also stole my keyboard-controlled design philosophy and my layout and my entire coding structure and I can really go on and on about this. But I don't think there's much anyone can do about it.

Most importantly, this was my first ever JavaScript project. I learned JavaScript solely for the purpose of developing this timer. You have no idea how many hours and how much hard work I've put into this. And when everything clicked into place after a week or two and people started using it and said nice things about the BLD mode, the easy usability, the percentage calculators, etc., that was the proudest moment of my cubing career - having contributed to the community. Now you're just gonna take all this away from me. Thanks.

it's open source rite?
i wouldn't mind if you really do so, it depends on the situation
even if I don't modify it(I just took how the timer save times), I can simply re-write all the scripts using the same style and claim it as mine or I could just copy and paste and edit all the strings, but now I'm not claiming the timer is fully my project but I mix many programs all together to make a better timer which suits my style which I hope suits other cubers too. And the main thing is, I gain no benefit with this timer. One more thing, major scripts in the timer's source codes is written by me, just to make things clearer.
what I meant was, only 25-35% of the codes belongs to the original code of the timer. And from the original codes, I cut off almost 60% including the scramblers, puzzles, extra functions etc.
I want to know how old you are if you can really say all this without feeling bad about anything.

@blah: I was disappointed when you gave up on your timer (or have you?). I really loved it. 2 minor fixes (scrambles saved do not correspond to the timed scramble and a better way to export times) and it would've been perfect. I can see why you're upset. At the same time, it is a great way to learn JavaScript. In fact, I copied your code and worked off it for some js practice. Your code is a great base to work off of.

@K073: give blah some credit somewhere. It's like Edison saying he invented the light bulb (which he got away with, but not everyone does. Also, this problem is a lot smaller).

That aside, I like the timer. Just, the 7x7x7 picture covers part of the scramble. May wanna fix that.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Most importantly, this was my first ever JavaScript project. I learned JavaScript solely for the purpose of developing this timer. You have no idea how many hours and how much hard work I've put into this. And when everything clicked into place after a week or two and people started using it and said nice things about the BLD mode, the easy usability, the percentage calculators, etc., that was the proudest moment of my cubing career - having contributed to the community. Now you're just gonna take all this away from me. Thanks.

I think that's something that a lot of folks don't appreciate when they use open-source software generally. Coding is hard work, and open-source developers are doing it for the benefit of all, and for little more reward than credit from its users. I think blah made a great contribution, and I would suggest that its only right to respect his wishes.

EDIT: My recent project VisualCube was released under the terms of the LGPL open source license. It allows derived works, as long as the derived source is also LGPL and the original author is given credit. I chose LGPL because I don't mind any software using VisualCube as a library not being open-source (only derived works must be).

@blah, I think for your purposes you should look at the QPL license. Its like GPL, but prevents any derived works, and only allows modifications in the form of patches to the original source. See:

Last edited:

blah

brah
I am only upset at the thread title ("my" JavaScript Timer) and at the fact that K073 did not inform me of this whatsoever. I would've gladly given him permission if he'd only asked. What pissed me off even more was his completely remorseless attitude even after Johannes and Edward pointed out what was wrong with what he was doing.

@Edward: Sure he could rewrite the whole code and make the whole thing his project. But the fact is, he stole my ideas. There are so many original features unique to my timer alone (the speed/BLD toggle, the keyboard-controlled design, the nifty shortcuts like escape/backspace/delete, the parity/PLL annotation, the memo:exec ratio calculator, etc.) Rewriting the code for these features is easy, in fact, I'm pretty sure anyone can do a better job than I did in terms of code optimization and simplicity; it's the ideas that were stolen - that's intellectual property.

@Conrad: I wish I knew more about all these different kinds of licenses. But honestly, I don't mind anyone doing anything to improve my project, as long as they've asked me about it. I really liked your idea of making it a collaborative project because I do realize my inadequacy as a coder, but unfortunately, none of us could devote enough time to make it happen.

Last edited:

K073

That aside, I like the timer. Just, the 7x7x7 picture covers part of the scramble. May wanna fix that.
do you know you can drag the scramble preview?

@blah: sorry for all the problems, and not informing you. But, at first I thought of modifying your timer because it has many functions that I don't want, then I started to add the functions that I want and make it to be compact. Soon, I upload it so that I can access it anywhere, and now I'm just sharing with others.

blah

brah
@blah: sorry for all the problems, and not informing you. But, at first I thought of modifying your timer because it has many functions that I don't want, then I started to add the functions that I want and make it to be compact. Soon, I upload it so that I can access it anywhere, and now I'm just sharing with others.
You just don't get it do you?

K073

I got it. But what I meant was, I didn't intend to release to public when I was modifying it.