Possible Washington DC Open 2009

Which date(s) should we have the competition on?


  • Total voters
    17
  • Poll closed .
Hello Mr. Liu,

Do you think it is possible that this would be a 2-day event? Also, can you include FMC if possible?

~Baian Liu
 
Hello Mr. Liu,

Do you think it is possible that this would be a 2-day event? Also, can you include FMC if possible?

~Baian Liu

Unfortunately, we most likely cannot have a 2-day event. The venue we have is not open on Sundays, and people have school on Fridays, so the only day we can hold it is Saturday.

We do intend to add to or modify the schedule, and we are highly considering FMC.
 
We (the organization team) have been discussing the date based on both our and your preferences, and the potential dates have now been edited to be Jan. 2, Jan. 16, and Jan. 30. Those are the new dates we decided would be best for more people than not.

For a competition held on Jan. 16th or Jan. 30th there is a very good chance I would also be able to attend. I can't confirm 100% until I ask for the time off from my job, but chances are very good for me on either of these two dates.

Chris
 
I would try to go if it was January 2 or January 30. January 16th is absolutely no. It's Mystery Hunt weekend at MIT (huge scavenger hunt/puzzle thing). No chance I'm missing that. But really I can't guarantee anything, except that I would have been there on December 26 =P
 
Bump.

We are still deciding over January 16th and January 30th for the date of the competition. Among the things holding up the decision are venue size, delegate availability, and of course, competitor preference.

On the 16th, we have a venue that we are familiar with, and has a bigger size (can hold 70-80 people). However, Bob has said that he will go to a competition at the Exploratorium on that date, if there is one. Does anyone have any information on this?

On the 30th, we have a different venue that we are familiar with, but the size is smaller (can hold 50-60 people), and we are worried that we may have to limit the number of competitors, much like this competition: http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/c.php?i=SanDiegoScience2009
There is also another venue we are keeping in mind for the 30th (can hold 70-80 people), but we are not familiar with it (i.e. we have never been there in person). Also, based on what we have seen with the venues we are familiar with, the venue itself may seem much smaller than what the website says.

The overall situation in a nutshell is: everything is set for the 30th to be the date, but we are not satisfied by the accommodations yet, and thus are exploring our options.
 
There has been no progress regarding an Exploratorium competition, so at this point it's probably a safe bet that that will not happen. A competition is in the planning stages for San Diego on January 16, but it will be considerably smaller than the usual competition Bob would travel for.
 
...a competition in DC? im going to wet mah pants :D

Anyway... if it was held somewhere before January 5th and after December 19th i would be able to come but id have to check on January 16th. 30th

I do like it being in January, gives me time to learn all of the PLLs and OLLs and the such, but.. i dont know o.O

So.. ill be there. maybe. Just dont make it on the weekend before January 13th because that is my exam week.

If you can get an exact date and place and a forum form for it. i could probably get 2 other people to come.
 
Last edited:
OMG!!! im going to dc on a field trip with my school ($2100 or something), and it would be awesome if we could go and watch/compete!!! idk when we're going though :(
 
hiiiiiiiii

Hi.

If you are seeking information as to where we are in the process:

We have a venue, but we are trying to "upgrade", so to speak, to a bigger venue. With the current venue, we may have to cap the number of competitors, as I said on one of my previous posts.
The date will definitely be Jan. 30 at this point. The bigger venue we are trying to obtain, our school (the venue from last time), said they will likely have an answer by tomorrow.
 
I would like to make it to this one, but it looks like it would be a stretch. I could get a plance ticket from a local "smaller" airport pretty reasonably, but I am already commited to both the Chicago and Indiana contests which will be near the same date. And a 10 hour drive is more than I really want to deal with right now.
 
I am far too slow to compete but I would be interested in coming out to see this event in order to help support it.
 
Back
Top