• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

plusTimer - Open Source Android Timer with TNoodle Scrambles

Methuselah96

WCA
2012BIER01
I believe I did that since if I'm using inspection (WCA regulation), I probably want to hold to start to fully emulate a competition (also because it's less code, and less code=laziness :D). I can add inspection without hold to start if you guys would like that.

No, please don't add inspection without hold to start. If you didn't hold to start it wouldn't be like a StackMat.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm working on including a fast scrambler for every puzzle, including Square-1. The next update will have those scramble programs (that is a promise).
Awesome, thanks!
That is a bug. According to the regulations, that average with the two DNFs should be DNF. I don't think 5% would be correct (though I understand that an average of 100, for example, isn't exactly a competition round of 5, so if you would like the 5% exclusion added, I can include it as a setting). Anyway, I'll get that fixed. Thanks for reporting!
That's because in a competition you do 5 solves, and 5% of 5 rounded up is 1, so you exclude the fastest and slowest time. That means if you have two DNFs, one is counted, so the entire average is a DNF.
Thanks for trying to fixing that.

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's because in a competition you do 5 solves, and 5% of 5 rounded up is 1, so you exclude the fastest and slowest time. That means if you have two DNFs, one is counted, so the entire average is a DNF.
Thanks for trying to fixing that.

The regulations actually don't refer to any 5% rule since competition rounds are mostly 5 solves and it just says to remove the best and worst (https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#9f8), but yeah, I'll add 5% as an option since it seems to be standard for larger averages.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
The regulations actually don't refer to any 5% rule since competition rounds are mostly 5 solves and it just says to remove the best and worst (https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/regulations/#9f8), but yeah, I'll add 5% as an option since it seems to be standard for larger averages.
Yeah, true, my above post wasn't really right; what I really meant was the regulations don't really cover what to do for larger averages, and if you look at most good timers (e.g. qqTimer, csTimer) they do the 5% thing.
(sorry, I know I didn't really need to say this again... I was just making myself clearer)

TiLiMayor

WCA
2011VARG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bug: Changing the puzzle overrides the hold to start setting..

Now that I'm here, a couple of suggestions:
It would be nice to have dark background/theme as an option.. I don't know if the timer flicker bothers me because of the background, being used to dark timers online/mobile, but seconds only updating would be a great feature too..

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bug: Changing the puzzle overrides the hold to start setting..

Fixed for the next update, thanks for reporting!

Now that I'm here, a couple of suggestions:
It would be nice to have dark background/theme as an option.. I don't know if the timer flicker bothers me because of the background, being used to dark timers online/mobile, but seconds only updating would be a great feature too..

Sure, added them to my todo list. Thanks for the suggestions!

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
v0.1.3! Mostly bug fixes. I wanted to get this one out as soon as possible because of crashes. Don't worry, the features you guys requested will be added!

- Crash when activity is destroyed in the background
- Hold to start being overridden when switching puzzles (thanks to TiLiMayor for reporting!)
- Average being calculated weird when there are two DNFs (thanks to TDM for reporting!)

One new thing was added: Square-1 scrambles (unfiltered so not WCA-style).

TiLiMayor

WCA
2011VARG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not that I practice that much, but I've been using this timer exclusively for the past week..

Bug: (Thought I was mad as I couldn't recreate it after the first time I saw it, so I'll be as specific as I can)
Opened timer, change scramble type (Megaminx)
Did a solve
Open app from notifications (or recent apps)
Back to the timer (The time I made is still there, with a new Megaminx scramble)
Did a solve
As soon as I finished, both times got deleted, scramble type back to 3x3 (As if the app just booted)

As for suggestions:
The need of saving a session to keep the times still bugs me off; Not that I'd like to keep all times I do, but losing them after inactivity is a bummer..
Not many timers display the latest times on the main screen, and the time bar was a cool feature, however, it should be much easier to add penalties to the times..

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not that I practice that much, but I've been using this timer exclusively for the past week..

Bug: (Thought I was mad as I couldn't recreate it after the first time I saw it, so I'll be as specific as I can)
Opened timer, change scramble type (Megaminx)
Did a solve
Open app from notifications (or recent apps)
Back to the timer (The time I made is still there, with a new Megaminx scramble)
Did a solve
As soon as I finished, both times got deleted, scramble type back to 3x3 (As if the app just booted)

That is weird... but similar to another bug report too. I'll send you a PM if I'm unable to reproduce it.

As for suggestions:
The need of saving a session to keep the times still bugs me off; Not that I'd like to keep all times I do, but losing them after inactivity is a bummer..

Thanks for the feedback! I will reorder my to-do list to have that as a high priority.

Not many timers display the latest times on the main screen, and the time bar was a cool feature, however, it should be much easier to add penalties to the times..

I think I will implement a temporary bar that pops up on the bottom after you finish a solve so you can select the penalty quickly. Then it fades away if no action is taken.

Last edited:

Prakhar

WCA
2014GUPT09
Bug: When I go to the session solves to put penalty and return to timer, I can't see thhe scramble image before doing a solve.

Also, try to add all BLD, OH and feet events in the next update.

Overall, a great timer.

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bug: When I go to the session solves to put penalty and return to timer, I can't see thhe scramble image before doing a solve.

Noted. Thanks for reporting! Tip, you can touch the solve in the time bar (on the bottom of the Timer tab) to assign penalty as well.

Also, try to add all BLD, OH and feet events in the next update.

Overall, a great timer.

Definitely. Thanks!

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
0.1.4 is released! Lots of new settings, including two row time display (inspired by Lucas' inspection timer: http://www.cubing.net/inspection/), 0.001 or 0.01 accuracy, timer text size, and timer updating (on, to seconds, or hide).
A warning dialog is now presented when resetting.
Also, simplified and traditional Chinese have been added (Chinese forum thread: http://www.mofangluntan.com/thread-42169-1-1.html). If anyone wants to help translate the app to another language, please contact me!

BTW, if your suggestion hasn't been implemented yet, don't worry. It hasn't been ignored, I'm working hard to add every one of your suggestions! :)

Last edited:

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
0.1.5, aka the suggestions implementation frenzy release! 5% average exclusion, OH Feet BLD modes, remembers current puzzle and session, quick selection of +2 and DNF when solve is finished.....
As usual, links in the OP.

I've set up a CrowdIn project for anyone who would like to help translate the app into their language. Go to crowdin.net, sign up, and go to https://crowdin.com/project/plustimer.

EDIT: Also, 200 downloads! Big thank you to all of you guys! :D

Last edited:

TiLiMayor

WCA
2011VARG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great update, the feature list has come a long way..
Penalty fade is just great, and puzzle selection was much needed, but it doesn't seem to hide the puzzles on the timer screen..

There are a couple of design things that aren't that much of a deal, still, here they go:
When opening the app or going to the timer from settings or history, leaves the 'Ready' text on its default size; when the session is reset, it is displayed correctly..
Using the two rows display, updating seconds only, both running and stopped states are vertically centered, so when tapping to stop, the seconds counter jump up and make room for the milliseconds.. Both states should be aligned on top, so stopping just make the milliseconds appear under the updating time..
Also regarding the two row display, selected text size doesn't match with either of the two rows.. Maybe the top/bottom size ratio could be customized too?
I don't know if its the font or what but, doesn't the 1s seem/look/feel uncentered?

And of course, a couple feature of suggestions:
Session delete warning dialog..
Session counter on the history puzzle select..
Solve count on history list/graph..