• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PC vs. Mac, the dreaded debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
bowling-pin.png

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@PatrickJameson, I don't get it.

Linux is more controllable, if you know what you're doing. But you don't really want to mess anything up.

Windows has loads of extra features. It's a bit safer to use, but you don't have as much control.

Mac is like trying to shave with a bowling pin. By hey, look how smooth and symmetrical it is :O.

Innocence

@PatrickJameson, I don't get it.

Linux is more controllable, if you know what you're doing. But you don't really want to mess anything up.

Windows has loads of extra features. It's a bit safer to use, but you don't have as much control.

Mac is like trying to shave with a bowling pin. By hey, look how smooth and symmetrical it is :O.

I find that offensive. Mac is more powerful than windows most of the time.

Mac can run windows.
Windows can't run OSX (Very well(AFAIK))

Windows on a PC(for want of a better word) crashes almost daily.
Windows on a Mac crashes very little. (For me, anyway.)

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I like how you laughed before you knew what it meant :rolleyes:.

But I really don't care to have a preference. Just sharing the picture. I've used windows mostly, although I do eventually want to switch completely to some linux distro eventually.

My laptop has yet to crash. Going on eight months since I bought it.

Last edited:

Innocence

I like how you laughed before you knew what it meant :rolleyes:.

But I really don't care to have a preference. Just sharing the picture. I've used windows mostly, although I do eventually want to switch completely to some linux distro eventually.

It was just an unexpected third image, and it's difficult to liken mac to a bowling pin. As someone or other said, "Laughter is an orgasm triggered by the intercourse of reason and unreason." Somewhat paraphrased as I don't really remember how it goes.

Thomas09

YouTube
Visit Channel
My laptop has yet to crash. Going on eight months since I bought it.
I bought my MacBook 14 months ago and no crashes. My dad bought a Mac 12 years ago and it has never crashed. He bought a PC once and he has had it 4 years now and it has broken down to the point of not working 4 times.

DcF1337

When it comes to raw processing power, the WinPC will always be better than the Mac at the same price.

But mac has always used less memory.

Sorry to disappoint you, but raw processing power isn't all about RAM. When I say raw processing power I'm referring to CPU and GPU. The current CPUs and GPUs in the market today (for PCs) are significantly more powerful than those in Macs. And yes, even the Mac Pro.

Mac can run windows.

I've been a Mac fanboy before so I know how you think.

Running Windows is almost a requirement (except for anti-Microsoft people, of course), so Macs being able to run Windows is hardly surprising.

Legally, PCs cannot run Mac OS X, but that's only because Apple is being stingy with their OS. If they weren't so strict any PC would be able to legally run OS X. But, if I were to disregard the law, I can install Mac OS X on a PC. I just can't be bothered to.

Let me guess. You bought a cheap OEM WinPC and just left all the bloatware there. If you overload a computer with more than it can handle it will crash, regardless of what hardware or software it's using. I've been using WinPCs for many, many years and the only time they crash is when there's a hardware fault.

Hardware fault = nothing to do with Windows.

In the end it all boils down to the hardware... software is really just a personal preference.

Reliable hardware = reliable machine. When your computer fails it's rarely because of the OS itself.

Last edited:

Innocence

When it comes to raw processing power, the WinPC will always be better than the Mac at the same price.

But mac has always used less memory.

Sorry to disappoint you, but raw processing power isn't all about RAM. When I say raw processing power I'm referring to CPU and GPU. The current CPUs and GPUs in the market today (for PCs) are significantly more powerful than those in Macs. And yes, even the Mac Pro.

Mac can run windows.

I've been a Mac fanboy before so I know how you think.

Running Windows is almost a requirement (except for anti-Microsoft people, of course), so Macs being able to run Windows is hardly surprising.

Legally, PCs cannot run Mac OS X, but that's only because Apple is being stingy with their OS. If they weren't so strict any PC would be able to legally run OS X. But, if I were to disregard the law, I can install Mac OS X on a PC. I just can't be bothered to.

Let me guess. You bought a cheap OEM WinPC and just left all the bloatware there. If you overload a computer with more than it can handle it will crash, regardless of what hardware or software it's using. I've been using WinPCs for many, many years and the only time they crash is when there's a hardware fault.

Hardware fault = nothing to do with Windows.

Nope. Firstly, I never said RAM was processing power, I was just pointing out that processing power isn't everything, either.

I'm aware PCs can run OSX, but nowhere near as well as macs can.

Every PC I've bought has been consistently crappy, and started crashing after about a month.

You claim it's my fault due to maintenence, but that's the thing. Windows PCs are very high maintenence compared to macs. There are so few good PCs around.

The main idea of mac is they do more with less. The numbers for PC may be higher, but macs require far less numbers.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Linux can actually surpass both anyway, but you have to be a tech-head to use it properly. :p

DcF1337

Nope. Firstly, I never said RAM was processing power, I was just pointing out that processing power isn't everything, either.

Point taken.

What are you talking about? If you were to take a Mac and PC with exactly the same hardware specs with OS X installed on both of them, you'd get equal performance. I mean, same hardware, same software, the only difference between them is that one has an Apple logo and the other doesn't.

Every PC I've bought has been consistently crappy, and started crashing after about a month.

If you're confident the hardware on your PCs don't suck, it's probably the bloatware you leave behind that slows the machine down. Learn how to manage them, please. Just because a machine uses Windows doesn't make it slow. I despise that kind of stereotyping.

You claim it's my fault due to maintenence, but that's the thing. Windows PCs are very high maintenence compared to macs. There are so few good PCs around.

Hmph. All you need to do for a huge speed boost is remove unnecessary startup programs, and use less resource-hogging programs. You call that high-maintenance? Oftentimes it's the programs that slow the machine down, not the OS itself.

The main idea of mac is they do more with less. The numbers for PC may be higher, but macs require far less numbers.

This was my main debating point when Vista was the latest Windows OS and I was still an Apple fanboy. Using Windows 7 changed my opinion completely.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Linux can actually surpass both anyway, but you have to be a tech-head to use it properly. :p

I find it rather simple to use, actually. But it doesn't run many programs I'm used to so I don't bother. ;)

By the way, I'm not trying to say that Windows is better than Mac; I'm really OS-neutral. Both OSes have their pros and cons. But I hope to eliminate the common stereotypes Mac users have of Windows. I urge you to actually sit down and try Windows 7 on a machine with better-than-average hardware. It's really not that bad at all. :D

Last edited:
O

Owen

I like PCs. I try to open a application on a Mac, and it starts jumping up and down on the dock for about a minute. Then it starts pinwheeling with that annoying little icon. After a while of this, it freezes. I try to move the cursor, nada. I try to turn it off, but IT DOESN'T TURN OFF! I have to unplug the thing!

Khartaras

What are you talking about? If you were to take a Mac and PC with exactly the same hardware specs with OS X installed on both of them, you'd get equal performance. I mean, same hardware, same software, the only difference between them is that one has an Apple logo and the other doesn't.

lolque?

A

andyt1992

PC's for general everyday use macs for video editing, music producing and other multimedia manipulation.

TemurAmir

WCA
2009SHAO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I prefer PCs since my sister got a macbook that cost around 1000(?)$ while I got a 700$ laptop. The laptop's processor is much faster then the mac and I don't like how fragile everything seems compared to a thinkpad (magnesium roll-cage).

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
macs are for people that are too stupid to use a normal computer. the end
Well I guess the majority of lecturers in Edinburgh University's informatics department must be total dumb asses then :rolleyes:
I think in the majority of cases, the reason people stick to windows is that they consider themselves too un-savvy try anything else. I don't like calling people stupid, but if you have to label the users of a particular OS as 'stupid' then that label would more genuinely be applied to windows users than any others.

Personally I think that PC's can do much more (more applications available), and you get more for the price you pay. So what do you all think?
I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out yet, but any X11 linux application and many Gnome and KDE apps can be run on mac. That's access to tens of thousands of software packages for the grand old price of 0.

I hear that getting hardware repaired isn't too fun though.
Theoretically, mac will run on any intel x86 platform (same as windows), but the problem is drivers. Apple only write drivers for specific hardware which limits your choice, but if you really want to run unsupported hardware you may get lucky and find the necessary drivers somewhere. See:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100228202226AA4F1lD

What??

I hope you're not talking about safety from malicious software and/or hackers. What do you mean by safer to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.