• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PC vs. Mac, the dreaded debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is it that when ever someone does a thread like this they don't just make it a poll?

but on topic neither Linux has my vote :)

This is my computer. It beats all of yours

Jealous?

/topic
very (=

why is it that when ever someone does a thread like this they don't just make it a poll?

but on topic neither Linux has my vote :)
Not to take over this thread, but do you have a distro in mind? ;)
distro? and i noticed but i just didn't want to revive an old thread that's not helping anyone
Linux (Distro)bution... It's not hurting anyone, and it's giving me something in which I feel comfortable to discuss?

WCA
2010SIMP01
YouTube
iasimp1997
macs are for people that are too stupid to use a normal computer. the end
No. Macs are the modern day computer. Meaning they're easier to control and/or operate. Are you against progress?
Windows has a crappy interface and appearance. Macs don't.
I'm against simplicity at the loss of functionality

Edit: I switched over to ubuntu a few months ago from Vista for various reasons, such as the fact that vista should not exist, and while there are minor things, I have yet to notice anything that would warrant an investment in Windows 7. The only thing would be the ability to play Napoleon Total War, that game looks amazing.
I have to admit, Windows does have some more functionality.
I like Macs more because of speed, smooth interface, and ccTimer ACTUALLY RUNS ON IT!

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
blade740
You know what trend drives me crazy? When people say "PC" to differentiate windows personal computers from macs. I have 3 PCs and none of them run windows. Linux all the way.

I use linux because I can do whatever I want with it. If there's any part of your computer's functionality you don't like, you can change it. In windows and mac, the main UI is pretty much unchangable, besides small cosmetic changes like wallpapers. In linux, every little piece of the OS is an individually-developed program. And there is an alternative for EVERYTHING. If you don't like the way your computer works, change it. Most programs offer much more open configuration options than their windows/mac alternatives. You can completely edit all of ubuntu's default menus, with a very simple gui editor. You can recreate a UI like Windows', with a single menu, taskbar, dock, and clock on the bottom. You can make one like mac's, with a menu bar across the top of your screen, and programs separated into categories. You can have two taskbars, three, one on top one on the side, a different menu for each of your screens, whatever you can think up. Easily.

I use a distro called arch which is basically a barebones, simple system with absolutely NOTHING installed by default. I added all the functionality I needed, hand-coded my own statusbar/menu, wrote scripts that start up the proper programs and connect to my wireless connection when I boot up. This is obviously an extreme, and none of these are required to have an awesome computer. But I have a netbook with a small screen, and I need to efficiently use every pixel of it.
Screenshot
You can see across the top: battery meter, processor load, wifi load, email indicator, volume indicator, currently playing MP3, date/time. Clicking on any part will bring up a relevant menu: battery brings up system options like logout and shutdown, the mail indicator opens up my inbox in chrome, mouse scrolling over the volume wheel changes the volume, clicking the mp3 player changes the song (right click goes back and middle click pauses). Everything works just as it should, and there's nothing there I don't use all the time.

Try doing that on OSX or windows.
</hijack>

WCA
2012CHOI04
YouTube
hyunchoi98
MAC FTW
macs (in my opinion) is less laggy and is MUCH faster.
but many of the programs for it is much more expensive than the windows ones. So you have to *cough*illegally*cough* download it.

Windows is good too (only windows 7 is sort of nice, vista is f***ing $hit, and xp is still crap but better than vista) but it freezes a lot.
There is also a lot more freeware for it too.

Toad

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT06
YouTube
cubetoad
Lol noob thread.

It's all about what you use it for and opinions.

I always love reading through these arguments to see people's lack of knowledge. Good times...

When Vista came out I became a Mac fanboy. When Windows 7 came out I went back to using Windows PCs.

Mac OS X is pretty lightweight, but it doesn't have the Windows programs I've grown so accustomed to, especially games. Oh and WinPC hardware tends to be much more powerful. When it comes to raw processing power, the WinPC will always be better than the Mac at the same price.

Still like my MacBook though.

Status
Not open for further replies.