• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Partial colorblindness

CoolGuyIsCool

I am partially colorblind, colors for me are somewhat hard to tell apart. Red/Orange and Yellow/Orange give me the most trouble on a standard 3x3. So I have to get stickers that I can tell apart very easily, and I need very good lighting. Otherwise I confuse colors and usually mess up.
I can't solve Megaminx, too many colors. Haha.
I average 18 seconds on 3x3 by the way.

Last edited:

Cubezz

Hope you enjoy the forums :D
And also...awesome name, and your avi is really funny (in a positive way) with your name.

Lorken

WCA
2010KHAN04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it possible to be colourblind without knowing it? like you never encounter the colour where it is significant and you wouldn't know and neither would anyone else since you don't know. Does it work like that? sorry for off topic.

Try using a white cube, or a Japanese colour scheme one.

NeedReality

WCA
2010MARK03
YouTube
Visit Channel
My doctor said that I'm red/green colorblind and partial blue/yellow; I still have trouble with pretty much all of my colors though. However, using a white cube and distinctly different shades of stickers helps my recognition, therefore I don't feel that my colorblindness is hindering my cubing (to an extreme anyway). I'm still experimenting with sticker colors to see which scheme puts the least amount of strain on my eyes.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
http://www.archimedes-lab.org/colorblindnesstest.html#visione

Scored a 3/10 on this XD guess I'm pretty colorblind

I got 1/10. I saw 12 on A, and then on H, I saw a O. Apparently that wasn't all.
Until I got my DaYan MF8 4x4, I had to avoid doing red and green as the last two centres, as I 99% of the time made them wrong :S
I switched to another colour scheme, however, it meant I'd have to sticker all my cubes like that, and when buying assembled cubes, I'd need to resticker.
I have a lot of trouble on Pyraminx with this case (hold red and green as the BL and BR faces. Then do U L U R' L R' U' L R' U'. I have sooooooo much trouble with this case. I often just see it as FD flipped.)
Harris Chan is colour blind iirc...

Igora

I got 9/10 but the
square and circle
one, I thought it was
n and o
I also got 9/10, but thought that the "square and circle" was a "circle and square", now I see that position was everything, and that I am colorblind to shapes :(

OT: Using Black, White, Red, Blue, any light color (pink, light green, etc. to further the difference between similar colors), and maybe silver or something as a color scheme could help.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Just go to cubesmith.com and look through their stickers until you find six that are easily recognized. You may end up with the funkiest looking color scheme but if you have something that you can recognize it doesn't really matter.

Andreaillest

Premium Member
WCA
2012PANY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
18 seconds isn't bad for being partially color blind. :)
But ya, you can go on cubesmith and create your own unique color scheme! They also have different shades of colors. It might take you awhile to get used to the new color scheme, but you'll eventually get it.

shredhead

I am color blind also..I got a dayan cube just last week and I can tell you the colors suck for me...the yellow and orange are hard to tell the difference. I put a small black dot on the yellos with a marker. Problem fixed. The standard store bought rubiks has the best colors to me. I am going to order some of those stickers soon. But for now the black dot helps a ton