• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ortega/Varasano Critique thread

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
Because I don’t see similar threads here or on YouTube, here it is:

My WCA profile: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/persons/2018LINW02

My Ortega official average is 3.74s, and my ao5 pb is 2.83. If you use Ortega method but is slower than me, then I can probably help you on something to make you be better at it.

Although 2x2 is a very fast event, I still think critiquing(before EG) is possible.

If you need my help, you can PM me or post a video of your ao5 below so I can see it. I hope I can help everyone get better at 2x2.

Last edited:

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
How to be at least sub-5.5 on Ortega:
  • One look(at most two look) your first face ------ watch examples solves. It's really easy.
  • Using shorter OLL algs specificly for 2x2(like R2 U2 R U2 R2 for H OLL)
  • Drill your OLL algs, have good fingertricks for them(may not be the same ones on 3x3) ------ watch example solves
  • Drill your PBL algs!!!! Especially the one with two bars at the front, that is the most common case, drilling it is very important to get sub 5.5 as amateurs do it 1.5+ sec but I do it in .6 secs

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
personally I think you shouldn't go so far with ortega.
ortega is like lbl for 3x3
if you want to get faster on 2x2 just go on learning cll then eg just as if you want to get faster on 3x3 you should learn a more efficient method than lbl

it's proven that sub10 single is possible with 3x3 lbl. but why would someone struggle so much to achieve this if they could be practicing an objectively better method?

(I use ortega myself but I want to learn cll/eg to get faster and not practicing ortega the hell out)

Last edited:

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
personally I think you shouldn't go so far with ortega.
ortega is like lbl for 3x3
if you want to get faster on 2x2 just go on learning cll then eg just as if you want to get faster on 3x3 you should learn a more efficient method than lbl.

it's proven that sub10 single is possible with 3x3 lbl. but why would someone struggle so much to achieve this if they could be practicing an objectively better method?

(I use ortega myself but I want to learn cll/eg to get faster and not practicing ortega the hell out)
I am also switching to CLL(just finished yesterday!),and of course, there is no doubt that CLL is better than Ortega, but here are my thoughts about it:

Ortega isn’t like LBL on 3x3. It’s roughly like CFOP with 4LLL.

CLL has 42 algs, but Ortega only has 11, and a couple of them are simply good old fashion LBL algs.

2x2 may not be everyone’s main event, so there is no need to tell everyone to learn EG(0,1,2). They(50%+ cuber) just want to get “decent” at it, where Ortega is fantastic.

Next, getting sub-4 with Ortega is a couple magnitudes easier than sub-10 with LBL, so it’s not a fair game.

Furthermore, you can even sometimes still get really easy, almost pure Ortega PBL cases when you use full EG.

So, me getting really good at Ortega can not only help others on this forum,it can make me use full EG more confidently.