• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Optimizing Algorithms With Finger Tricks

jdh3000

Something I've recently realized is that when I start utilizing more finger tricksj, how horrible my already ingrained algorithms are.
I see how much they would benefit from the new finger trick; the problem arises in breaking the habit of the old way.
Example: A while back I started using my left index more; flicks, pushes, etc.,
Which really has helped in my f2l.
Now I am noticing how many oll/pll algs are suffering from double flicks from the right index, and even regrips.

If I try thinking about the alg, slowing down, I jam up where the change comes in. I'm going to have to go back and basically re-learn the algs by looking at them written.
Seems rediculous but these are fixed in my muscle memory so much that I can only see the case and go right into it; if I think about it, it's gone.

Any tips?

While I'm going through these I will also note which ones have poor technique. No telling how much time is being wasted because when these were learned, I just did whatever seemed correct at the time, and never bothered to redo it.

RandomPris

YouTube
Visit Channel
I had this too in the beginning when I switched from just solving to solving with finger tricks. But trust me, it's more than worth it. Oh and I've experienced that once you know an alg, especially by muscle memory, you will not forget it. Your brain just needs to get used to your new way of executing it.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Finding good fingertricks is always hard. Its take few people trying and testing the algs before they become viable. Newer fingertricks are being invented as cubing hardware keeps getting better.