• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Online Piracy Poll

Do you pirate anything from the internet?

• Yes

Votes: 89 70.1%
  • No, I find it immoral

Votes: 22 17.3%
  • No, because the law says so

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • No, other reason

Votes: 15 11.8%

• Total voters

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm doing this survey for an English essay. It'd be a huge help if you guys could just quickly fill out the poll. If you'd like to explain your answer or if in my midmorning rush, the poll turns out all poopy and not specific enough, that would help too.

Last edited:

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Agh, too binary, I know some people who wont dl games, but have no problem dling music... some who wont get movies, but will get TV shows.
I generally don't pirate things online, but if I own another copy (music/tv/films) or I know where is no way of paying for a legit version (retro games), I don't have a problem.

Specs112

WCA
2011ANDE03
I only ever do it to try out a game that doesn't have a trial version or a demo or whatever. If it's good then once I have money I buy a legit copy.

Of course I say that, but I rarely have money.

applemobile

I haven't ever bought a CD. And have probably bought 2 dvd's. Why would I pay for something I can get for free?

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
I download things I can't get a hold of over here, which isn't that much.
I pay for games and music but not for movies, that is because I rarely watch any, if I do it's something that is at home since my family buys them.
All in all, I don't pirate much, mostly if I want to try a game out when it doesn't have any demo, which I usually end up buying.

I haven't ever bought a CD. And have probably bought 2 dvd's. Why would I pay for something I can get for free?

Here's a crazy idea: for supporting the creators maybe?

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
So it's one lost sale. Big goddamn deal.

If piracy only equated to one lost sale per product that would be a wonderful argument.

Actually, people with applemobile's mindset wouldn't pay for anything regardless, so it isn't even a lost sale.

If his options were pay for things or don't have them, I'm sure he'd actually pay for some stuff.

applemobile

They make enough money, if they didn't, then the buisness wouldn't exist. And if they do make less money because of people like me, then it's their own fault for going into a buisness with a major flaw. If I set up a buisness selling apples, and people had to walk through my orchards to get to my stall, do you think I would have the right to complain when people didn't buy my product?

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
These days a pirated product is higher quality.

Making piracy illegal is like making cars illegal because it'll put horse salesman out of business.

Specs112

WCA
2011ANDE03
These days a pirated product is higher quality.

Making piracy illegal is like making cars illegal because it'll put horse salesman out of business.

Exactly. Companies have to stop looking at pirated as "stolen" and just look at it as "free". They have to provide something with their product that can compete with free.

TheMachanga

WCA
2010LECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unless you count youtube to mp3 as illegally getting music, then no, I don't pirate, because I don't ever watch movies on my computer, just on tv. If I really really wanted to see a movie that's already on dvd, I would actually by the actual dvd the next time I'm in the store, or go a hulu or something, or youtube or whatever, since they now provide some movies on their, legally, I think.

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
If I paid for all the music that I listen to and enjoy, I'd be broke many times over.

Why make one of my favorite things in my life responsible for making me not able to afford anything else?

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I usually do it for stuff I can't find commercially anymore.
My argument for doing it is pretty much saying that if demand is low or works become old and obsolete, the products won't be produced anymore. As someone who is in the low demand portion of the pie, it's infinitely easier to download something rather than waste the time trying to find a hard copy. It doesn't hurt the manufacturer, to boot.

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
I have nothing against piracy. It's just the mindset of "Why would I pay for something I can get for free?" that bugs me, I seriously doubt that most persons who say that would apply it to everything they do.

Buy gas? Why not get some from the cars around the area?
Get a car? Why not hijack one close by? *Insert car brand here* makes enough money as it is.
Pay for my food? I can just grab some and leave, it's not that expensive so they won't mind. It's not like everyone's doing it, they're still in business at least.

For bigger businesses a couple of pirates doesn't do much of an impact, but for indie developers it becomes more important to pay for what you get, especially if you like it, more profit for them creates a better chance for a sequel/dlc later on.

For a comparison, EA doesn't really care that much about their customers, and 2000 pirated copies doesn't make much of an impact for them while Mode 7 Games cares more about what their users want, and 2000 pirated copies for them makes a bigger impact.
So I usually pay just for a little "Thank you" since I (mostly) enjoy what I'm paying for.

cmasirius

I've given this some thought, and I've even had discussions with my older brother about this. We live in a day where an actor's or artist's income comes largely from companies to promote their merchandise, say coca cola or dr pepper, even perscription drugs, shoes and pretty much everything, exposure of the actor and wide availability of their work benefits all, right? If famous people weren't so famous, the commercials and adds wouldn't be so effective, and merchandise wouldn't sell! They are paid for tv apperances, and pretty much anything. When they make a movie or album or whatever else, they are paid to do it, i doubt that actors are paid only if the movie makes money. Sure, royalties make them some money, but they have already been paid, right? There are just some things that can't be pirated online, like the experience of going to a live concert, and t-shirts, and other merchandise. In those cases public access to their work benefits them, and makes them more popular, and we are bound to buy some of their goods. I see it as exposure. That being said, I'm poor, and realize that I'm justifying it in a biased way.