• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer Big Cubes Question Thread

M

Malkom

Where can I find advanced 5x5 tips? Interested in basic redux or Yau.
For redux tips I think Kevin has some stuff on his channel and I think it will be added to Cubeskills soon.
I don't know too much about Yau but I knows there's a few videos on Jaydens channel, Robert Yaus channel should have some too.

U

Underwatercuber

Do you realize that by ragging on theCubicle every chance you get it just makes me want to order from them? If you're actually working for theCubicle I think you should come out and say it, but if not maybe lay off the negativity.
I don't mean to be negative I am just saying that they are pretty pricey :)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I don't mean to be negative I am just saying that they are pretty pricey :)
If you count shipping, and time to ship cubes from China, honestly they're not that bad. Especially when you figure that between lube, puzzles, parts, and accessories I don't think there's another puzzle store that comes close to their selection. If I want one or two specific puzzles I may be able to get them cheaper elsewhere, but if I want some Lube and a couple of puzzles and half a dozen custom sticker sets (not sure whether that's my next order or if it will be 2 orders) it's worth going to the one place that has it all.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
In very rough terms:

3x3 *4 = 4x4 = 45-50 seconds
4x4*2 = 5x5 = 1:30-1:40
5x5*2 = 6x6 = 3:00-3:20
6x6*1.6 = 7x7 = 4:45-5:20

https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/relative-solve-times-for-2x2x2-7x7x7.47405/

With focused practice these ratios can be stretched. I personally run low 30s on 3x3 and around 1:40 on 4x4, or a ratio of between 3 and 3.5. My 5x5 is roughly double my 4x4 at about 3:20, but 6x6 is a little better at right about 6:00. That should put my 7x7 around 9:36, and I can often beat that by around 45s, but not reliably.

xyzzy

Depends on how much you want to stretch the meaning of "the same way". Obviously you can't directly do 3-2-3 edge pairing on larger cubes, but you can still use freeslice or whatever. (And then there's also Yau5, where you solve two F2L pairs before finishing edge pairing.)

Flexico

I'm trying to learn the corners-first method to solve my 6x6, and the only tutorial I can find on it is here: https://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/cube4.htm (About halfway down the page). (I reduce the 6x6 to a 4x4 by aligning the faces and edge pieces first). I can solve the corners easily enough, but when I try to line up the top/bottom edges, almost every time I use one of the algorithms listed, the piece I want to move goes to the right place, but another piece I already solved gets displaced. Doing this many times eventually gets all of the edges solved, but it seems long and inefficient. I wonder if some of the algorithms listed have typos, but I'm not sure. Is there a better tutorial for this method anywhere? Preferably one with illustrations.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm trying to learn the corners-first method to solve my 6x6, and the only tutorial I can find on it is here: https://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/cube4.htm (About halfway down the page). (I reduce the 6x6 to a 4x4 by aligning the faces and edge pieces first). I can solve the corners easily enough, but when I try to line up the top/bottom edges, almost every time I use one of the algorithms listed, the piece I want to move goes to the right place, but another piece I already solved gets displaced. Doing this many times eventually gets all of the edges solved, but it seems long and inefficient. I wonder if some of the algorithms listed have typos, but I'm not sure. Is there a better tutorial for this method anywhere? Preferably one with illustrations.

No idea where you could find a better tutorial, but I am curious why you want to solve a 6x6 corners first?

xyzzy

I am curious why you want to solve a 6x6 corners first?
Corners first is very easy to learn, since you don't need silly 15-move parity algs. (Wait, I feel like I've mentioned this before.)

when I try to line up the top/bottom edges, almost every time I use one of the algorithms listed, the piece I want to move goes to the right place, but another piece I already solved gets displaced. Doing this many times eventually gets all of the edges solved, but it seems long and inefficient. I wonder if some of the algorithms listed have typos, but I'm not sure.
It does look like some of the algs there are incorrect, but what exactly do you mean by "I reduce the 6x6 to a 4x4 by aligning the faces and edge pieces first"?