• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Sergey

First day at my second comps. Not so good but no so bad. 5x5: got new single PR 2:33.11 but did not passed cutoff, still without official avg. 4x4: new single PR 1:13.99 and first official avg 1:35.53. Will see how it goes tomorrow (3x3)....

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
So since I've had so many decent results with 16 cubes multiBLD in the past few weeks in official competitions, I decided to go ahead and try 18 for the first time this week. Rather than starting at 1 AM like I usually do, this time I gave myself a bit of an advantage and napped from 1 AM to 5 AM before trying it. :) (still early enough that the family wasn't up yet)

I knew I needed to memorize faster, so I pushed my memorization a good bit, and it made the neccessary difference - I got through the entire memorization in just 42 minutes, without even using a normal-BLD cube - all 18 were stored in long-term memory! And while the scrambles were not particularly hard, they also didn't seem particularly easy - they felt about normal.

It was quite a surprising success! 13/18, but it was really 14/18 in about 60:05 - I had only the last two corner algs left when the timer expired, and quickly finished it correctly. One of the 4 I actually missed was just off by two edges which I memorized correctly but forgot to flip. The other three were due to my memo not being quite solid enough, so that I had to give up on them after trying to recall them for a while. So my memorization was truly not solid enough, and I need to still work on that. But the good news on all three was that I was able to second-look all of them, except one where I had neglected to memorize a flipped edge when first memorizing.

In any event, it seems like I really am capable of handling 18, at least sometimes!

muchacho

WCA
2016ALAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a bit surprised but my 3x3 OH times are almost back at what I was averaging last November. I don't have much time to practice, so I think I'll use all at OH, I see potential to improve maybe 2 seconds.

New Mo100 PB: 24.627 (old was 24.666 from November)

8aum

Hi Everyone,
I am 36 Yrs old and just found the community of old cubers here :). As far as cubing is concerned I joined this forum in 2010 and learned the beginners method as a hobby and then was offline for a long time. Now that I found my old cube again buried in a closet and I still remember how to solve it in about 1:30 minutes (Some how the moves still exists in my muscle memory although I completely forgot the notations for the algorithms) ,I thought I should give a try to speed cubing.I would like to know if there are members in this community whose skills and age were comparable to mine and they were able to improve their time to sub 20. Please share the experiences and effort in cubing. Thanks.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Everyone,
I am 36 Yrs old and just found the community of old cubers here :). As far as cubing is concerned I joined this forum in 2010 and learned the beginners method as a hobby and then was offline for a long time. Now that I found my old cube again buried in a closet and I still remember how to solve it in about 1:30 minutes (Some how the moves still exists in my muscle memory although I completely forgot the notations for the algorithms) ,I thought I should give a try to speed cubing.I would like to know if there are members in this community whose skills and age were comparable to mine and they were able to improve their time to sub 20. Please share the experiences and effort in cubing. Thanks.
When I started speedcubing I took 5 minutes to solve it. Now I am sub 30 and still improving.

8aum

When I started speedcubing I took 5 minutes to solve it. Now I am sub 30 and still improving.
Nice to here from you.To strengthen my commitment I bought a GTS3M. This will keep me alert to utilize my investment :) . I have started with practicing F2L as well as memorizing OLL and PLL side by side. At this stage shall I go on solving the cube with the complete CFOP method or just concentrate on F2L only ? I must say I have to sit back with my diary to recognize the cases and to apply the respective algs :) . Is there any smarter way to set the cube for learning F2L cases ?I ask because there are cases in my alg list that havn't appeared even once in my all the previous solves?

Last edited:

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice to here from you.To strengthen my commitment I bought a GTS3M. This will keep me alert to utilize my investment :) . I have started with practicing F2L as well as memorizing OLL and PLL side by side. At this stage shall I go on solving the cube with the complete CFOP method or just concentrate on F2L only ? I must say I have to sit back with my diary to recognize the cases and to apply the respective algs :) . Is there any smarter way to set the cube for learning F2L cases ?I ask because there are cases in my alg list that havn't appeared even once in my all the previous solves?
I don't use CFOP so I can't really be of much assistance here. I use Roux. :)

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any particular reason to use Roux. CFOP seems more popular as well as lot of resources. Is Roux gaining popularity over CFOP ?
For me it's simple. I liked Roux better than CFOP. It's less algs, no rotations and less pieces to keep track off at the same time. But to each their own. I recommend trying Roux, CFOP, ZZ and maybe Petrus, and see which method you like the most.

phuque99

Any particular reason to use Roux. CFOP seems more popular as well as lot of resources. Is Roux gaining popularity over CFOP ?
I concur Roux is "simpler", with less algorithms to memorise. First two blocks and LSE can be solved intuitively, leaving only a few algorithms for CMLL. Using M-slice for first 2 layer of both blocks is also quite fun! I used Roux corner algs here (http://tinyurl.com/solvexio)

On CFOP; AFAIK after every scramble and cross, there will be enough random F2L cases to practise. If you're lazy about the cross, "Twisty Timer" phone app can provide you the scramble *and* solving the cross moves so you can start F2L right off the bat. The web csTimer tool can also generate an "easy cross" to solve for your F2L practise.

Last edited:

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
It’s been awhile since I dropped in here... lots of good stuff going on.

I’ve been working to learn 4BLD. I had a good attempt today to do just centres. I took a LONG time to do the memo and trace, but it was worth it. I made an execution error and it was a mess. I kept the scramble—took a second attempt and this time I did it eyes open, but same memo (it stuck) and it was correct. So.... partial success regarding my 4BLD centres attempt. Success in the trace and memo, although fail in the execution.

Wings, sighted, is coming along and becoming more smooth. The similarity to M2 makes it flow much easier.

There is just so much more information to memo than for 3BLD, but I’m feeing optimistic that this endeavour is doable.

CLL Smooth

WCA
2012LOET01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Everyone,
I started cubing in late 2010 myself at age 32. I became interested in speed early on though. I went to my first competition in 2012 with around a 25 second avg. I’m expecting to see my first sub-15 comp avg soon. Rest assured, if it’s something you like to do and you keep practicing, you will achieve your goals.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
It has taken me 33 years to solve this latest puzzle but I think I've finally kicked smoking after more than 3 decades. I've gone the cold turkey route; no pills, patches, gum, or vaping. It's only been a week and a half but I'm over the physical withdrawal and it's a whole lot easier than the first four days of insanity at this point. The habit will probably pester me forever from time to time but I'm mentally over all the baggage of smoking.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
It has taken me 33 years to solve this latest puzzle but I think I've finally kicked smoking after more than 3 decades. I've gone the cold turkey route; no pills, patches, gum, or vaping. It's only been a week and a half but I'm over the physical withdrawal and it's a whole lot easier than the first four days of insanity at this point. The habit will probably pester me forever from time to time but I'm mentally over all the baggage of smoking.
That’s great!

chtiger

WCA
2015HARR03
Finally officially sub-20.
https://www.cubecomps.com/live.php?cid=4645&compid=12
5BLD was main goal, but no success there. Had 1 slow 4BLD success. Coulda been low 9:00 but I was remembering my previous 5BLD memo for edges. Surprised I got it sorted out correctly, but wasted a lot of time. Two slowish 3BLD successes in 1st round. 3rd solve would have been PB 1:36 and first avg, but just missed by 8 corners and 11 edges:). Don't know what happened there. Final round was all slow and none close. I'll blame fatigue. Other PBs were pyra single, and 4x4 by default

Sergey

F L2 R2 F' U2 R2 D2 L2 U2 F' U2 R U R F D2 R D2 L D B2

x2 // inspection
R' D L U' F2 // cross
U U R U' R' U R U' R' U y' U R U' R' // 1st pair
y' U' L' U L // 2nd pair
R U' R' l U L' U' M' // 3rd pair
U' R U' R' U2 R U' R' // 4th pair
U2 r U R' U' M U R U' R' // OLL
U2 // AUF PLL skip

@alg.cubing.net

GAN 356 X

Jperm is the best tutor on youtube. Get involved even if you just watch him for five minutes a day.

2. Watch colourfulpockets and brodythecuber (on youtube) for comedy value. It’s mildly disconcerting how self deprecating these guys are for ones so young but if you have a dry sense of humour, they will entertain you.
So true. Brody the cuber is absolutely hilarious, especially his 'your lying to yourself!' video. J perm is definitely the best YouTuber to learn from though