• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Makes sense. My preference would be #1. But I am not sure how to do a U-face commutator. I’ve figured out how to D-face exchanges, but sometimes it seems like I just solved 1 piece, rather than the two I had in mind—Obviously, I’m making a mistake with the interchange or the insertion.

Ubl vs Ubr : this is an interchange by U/U'. All you need to do is an insert to Ubr position.
For example, your Rfd is the target and you want to shoot to Ubr, then, r d r' will be the insert (Rfd goes to Ubr), U will be the interchange (Ubl goes to Ubr). So, try [r d r', U] = r d r' U r' d' r U' and see how it goes.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Case in point... how would I do this? I’m pointing to my buffer.

1st green to Fur: f' u f (insert to Ufr position = C) U2 (interchange) f' u' f U2 (inverse).
2nd green to Fdr: b' d b (insert to Ubr position = B) U (interchange) b' d' b U' (inverse)

Last edited:

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Any good way to track 4BLD centres comms for learning purposes? I’ve been really enjoying working them out, but now think it’s best to have some organised way to work them so I know when I’ve figured something out for each.

I’m guessing just learn find something for each possible letter pair?

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Any good way to track 4BLD centres comms for learning purposes? I’ve been really enjoying working them out, but now think it’s best to have some organised way to work them so I know when I’ve figured something out for each.

I’m guessing just learn find something for each possible letter pair?
I saw your post in FB blindgroup - why Ubr? Was it typo for Ubl?

Anyway, easiest way to think about front face vs bottom layer, setup bottom piece to back layer and use one of the following:
(Ubl buffer)
1) Ful - Bur - Ubl: r' U2 r (insert) u2 (interchange) r' U2 r' u2 (inverse)
2) Fdl - Bdr - Ubl: r' U r (insert) u2 (interchange) r' U' r u2 (inverse)

For example,
1) if you have Ful-Drb-Ubl, setup Drb to Bur by r', then do #1
2) if you have Fdl-Drf-Ubl, setup Drf to Bdr by r', then do #2

You can setup any of front face target using F/F'/F2 to one of above, same goes to D layer with D/D'/D2.

Once you understand these, then, you can use Rw trick to make things easier but will explain to you later (after you understand comms better)

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I saw your post in FB blindgroup - why Ubr? Was it typo for Ubl?

Anyway, easiest way to think about front face vs bottom layer, setup bottom piece to back layer and use one of the following:
(Ubl buffer)
1) Ful - Bur - Ubl: r' U2 r (insert) u2 (interchange) r' U2 r' u2 (inverse)
2) Fdl - Bdr - Ubl: r' U r (insert) u2 (interchange) r' U' r u2 (inverse)

For example,
1) if you have Ful-Drb-Ubl, setup Drb to Bur by r', then do #1
2) if you have Fdl-Drf-Ubl, setup Drf to Bdr by r', then do #2

You can setup any of front face target using F/F'/F2 to one of above, same goes to D layer with D/D'/D2.

Once you understand these, then, you can use Rw trick to make things easier but will explain to you later (after you understand comms better)
Not a typo... I use the top-back-left for my buffer. I’m sure there are better, bu that is the one that seems most natural to me. So I’ve been working comms using that....

Am i understanding your explaination to say you use the back face and the buffer position as the insert?

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Not a typo... I use the top-back-left for my buffer. I’m sure there are better, bu that is the one that seems most natural to me. So I’ve been working comms using that....

Am i understanding your explaination to say you use the back face and the buffer position as the insert?

Top-back-left IS Ubl, lol

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Lol... I guess I’m destined for failure. I meant top back RIGHT

4BLD center is X-center, 5BLD has X-center (X position) and T-center.

X-center is similar to corners while T-center is similar to edge. Even some comms are similar. I highly recommend to use the same buffer you're using for3BLD corner for 4BLD center. If you use UBL for 3BLD corner, then, you'd better using Ubl.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
4BLD center is X-center, 5BLD has X-center (X position) and T-center.

X-center is similar to corners while T-center is similar to edge. Even some comms are similar. I highly recommend to use the same buffer you're using for3BLD corner for 4BLD center. If you use UBL for 3BLD corner, then, you'd better using Ubl.
For 3BLD corners I use LBU— the left face, back Top corner.

Are you saying that I should do similarly for 4BLD centres and use UBL?

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Man, that's a weird buffer, please switch your buffer to U face one. That has quite a big impact when you switch to 3-style.
That’s how I learned OP corners. With the left sticker on the back upper corner.... if I switch to the top sticker, all my set ups will change! Lol

muchacho

WCA
2016ALAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi! I haven't posted for a while, probably because I didn't cubed much either in 2019, but I'm practising a bit more now.

I'm around 1 second slower at 3x3 than 9 months ago, and 2-3 at OH... but I just got lucky and got a OH PB single.

17749 Aug 11, 2019 4:50:52 PM 00:15.136 U L2 U2 L2 U R2 U2 F2 L2 F2 U B' D' R L F D2 F' R2 F U2

(Old PB was 15.483 from Nov-18)

Last edited:

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I still have a lot grip changes to incorporate but my 3x3 times are slowly getting back to normal on this first wave of adjustments. A bit of a surprise to break my Ao5 today with an 18.23: 17.72, (16.71), (23.30), 18.76, 18.21. This after seeming being unable to get a sub 20 at all just a few days ago. It's still all down to lookahead but I'm definitely seeing improvement now when the lookahead is cooperating.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I still have a lot grip changes to incorporate but my 3x3 times are slowly getting back to normal on this first wave of adjustments. A bit of a surprise to break my Ao5 today with an 18.23: 17.72, (16.71), (23.30), 18.76, 18.21. This after seeming being unable to get a sub 20 at all just a few days ago. It's still all down to lookahead but I'm definitely seeing improvement now when the lookahead is cooperating.
My lookahead comes and goes. When it’s working for me times are encouraging. When, however, it’s NOT working for me it’s apparent.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
My lookahead comes and goes. When it’s working for me times are encouraging. When, however, it’s NOT working for me it’s apparent.

Yeah, one indicator is my guess of the time before looking. When the lookahead is clicking I'm surprised by some effortless 18s and even 17s sometimes. When it isn't, I finish a solve that feels smooth and optimistically look at the timer and it's still a 20 or 21.

I've been watching my timer legs slowly come back the past few days but beating my Ao5 was still a surprise. I thought I might be back in shape to threaten my Ao50 but I already had a low :18 Ao5 and considered it an outlier still. Been a while since I've bunched some decent solves together.

Last edited:

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Yeah, one indicator is my guess of the time is before looking. When the lookahead is clicking I'm surprised by some effortless 18s and even 17s sometimes. When it isn't, I finish a solve that feels smooth and and optimistically look at the timer and it's still a 20 or 21.

I've been watching my timer legs slowly come back the past few days but beating my Ao5 was still a surprise. I thought I might be back in shape to threaten my Ao50 but I already had a low :18 Ao5 and considered it an outlier still. Been a while since I've bunched some decent solves together.
Exactly!

Torrente

Hello, I am 51yo and currently averaging 60s with CFOP after re-starting cubing 2 months ago with some practice, I do cross and F2L inneficiently and 2 look PLL.
I think that apart of practicing it would help me to watch example solves.
I would appreciate any specific recommendation about example solves source or other roadmap appropriate for improving at my level.

Thank you!

Tom Joad

Hello, I am 51yo and currently averaging 60s with CFOP after re-starting cubing 2 months ago with some practice, I do cross and F2L inneficiently and 2 look PLL.
I think that apart of practicing it would help me to watch example solves.
I would appreciate any specific recommendation about example solves source or other roadmap appropriate for improving at my level.

Thank you!

jperm videos on youtube

He covers just about everything at every level. And he is a superb teacher.