• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you have some words that you just never use? I would be concerned by “held,” “goddess,” “fills,” and “shoved.”
I have a pre-memorized list of images. In some cases, I have multiple images, but I make it a point to have not very many images that can be confused with each other. Since I do post-mortems on my solves, I immediately notice when I confuse one image with another, and if that seems to be a problem with two images that are too much alike, I will change one of them. It took a while, but I've gotten a list now which is pretty close to completely independent images.

Held, shoved, fills are all just connecting words that don't mean anything - I don't really memorize them. They just show how my images are related to each other. As for goddess, I made it a point that the only goddess I have in my memorization list is Isis, so no problem there.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Not much progress in terms of single PB for 3BLD.

Trying to drill/improve edge comms but still made less than 40% progress so far.

Generated By csTimer on 2019-06-05
single: 45.27

Time List:
1. 45.27=18.33+26.93 L2 R F2 D B2 F2 L2 U L2 U R2 B2 R' U2 B R2 F2 U' B2 L Rw Uw'

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Just “finished” my first 4BLD solve, sort of. Centers were good, saw that but didn’t check my wing memo before executing. I’m pretty sure wings would have been good too if I hadn’t forgotten to undo an l2 setup. I memorized two targets on the same piece for corners, probably could have figured that out without peeking but we’ll never know. A day and a half to trace and memo, it can only get faster from here. :)

Any good suggestions for XK? I have eXtriCAte, and just thought of SHeiK.

openseas

WCA
2015PARK24
Just “finished” my first 4BLD solve, sort of. Centers were good, saw that but didn’t check my wing memo before executing. I’m pretty sure wings would have been good too if I hadn’t forgotten to undo an l2 setup. I memorized two targets on the same piece for corners, probably could have figured that out without peeking but we’ll never know. A day and a half to trace and memo, it can only get faster from here. :)

Any good suggestions for XK? I have eXtriCAte, and just thought of SHeiK.

Congrats! You're half way there :)

I don't use X, X & Zs are not in my target letters but "Shake" and imagining shaking hands would work?

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome! Btw, you are a pure white solver huh? That first scramble had a 3/4 yellow cross :) I do not understand how your times are so fast while I see so many pauses. That means it should be no problem for you gain a few more seconds in speed. Nice man!

I do yellow at home. I've seen that cross on yellow but I thought I'm gonna screw it due to lack of practice - no solves in a last 2 weeks, only blinds. So I did white. And yes - during edition I've seen it so many pauses too. Looks like I need lookahead practice a lot.

Last edited:

Oldmancfop

Thought I would give the stickerless Teng Yun a go based on a couple of posts on here. My main has been the GTS3M for a few months and when I first tried the Teng Yun I thought 'Nasty, doesn't feel like a magnetic cube at all!'. After using the Teng Yun for a few hours I could see the magnets working more than feel them. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now and have grown to really like it, it has a soft/waxy, quiet, effortless feel, the GTS now feels heavy and sluglish by comparison. Now I just need to get as good as my cube!

Oldmancfop

One negative I have with my Teng Yun and the same with the GTS3 is the glossy surfaces, if my hands get a bit clammy my fingers stick to the cube. I was considering rubbing down faces with some very fine sandpaper to hopefully give a frosted surface. Don't suppose anyone has tried this?

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Yeah, after using the TengYun for months the stock GTS3M magnets feel comically strong by comparison. No serious grip issues for me with it. The weaknesses for me with TengYun are it's really easy to make unintended turns if you're not careful and some algs with wide layer turns fight me, occasionally. I'm not sure it's any worse about wide turns than the GTS2-M, my previous main, I think my turning speed is getting faster and my technique hasn't caught up yet.

Tom Joad

Just done the same, four days in with my Teng Yun, after 18 months GTS2 cubing.

I think it will be good for me, seems better for the slow, smooth, pauseless solves I am aiming for.

Not so sure I can pull off my pll algs as quickly but maybe I overlubed it a bit.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
3x3: My potential seems to have improved about a second. Where I was getting 2 or 3 full step 17s a day on my best solves, now it's full step 16s. I also landed a full step 14.9 a couple days ago, 6-move T-OLL and U-Perm which is probably the best possible two look LL for me. I'm starting to shrug at anything over 18 when I'm in a groove even though I'm still good for following up my sub 20s with a couple mid 20s. I think most of the improvement is lookahead along with a little bit of my ongoing F2L refinement coming together. I still haven't returned to unlimited inspection and first pair prediction but I have made one minor change at the start of my solves the past few weeks. Watching Feliks's recent WR average he consistently sits on the armed timer for a few seconds, visualizing the physical starting moves. Such a seemingly tiny little thing.

3bld: Thankfully I didn't lose much on execution. My first couple sighted attempts were rather hilarious but after 3 or 4 of those all my setups were back like riding a bike. I haven't re-incorporated any of the advanced M slice tricks yet but I have all my notes. First day back I got to better than 50% on slow, careful, untimed solves that were probably in the 8-10 min range. Second day I went for a timed solve to see where I'm sitting and got a 5:09 success. Execution split was close to where I was before the hiatus and I made a tracing mistake I had to track down in memo, so I'm not terribly far off where I was. Pushing tracing and memo really hard is the prescription for the next week.