• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I finally got it with a dose of extra luck. Working out opposite or adjacent edge swaps on both sides felt really intuitive but I was still stumped by opp/adj on one side and a 3-cycle on the other. I was still experimenting with ideas in that direction and accidentally got it solved, accompanied by a legit gasp.

Next up I guess I'll finally learn notation and a parity alg.

finally-solved.jpg

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
When am I considered old? Serious question..
I can't help you on a philosophical level, I'm still in denial that I, myself, am the same age as old people.

As it relates to the hobby: there is no official answer. The WCA does not have age divisions nor do they specifically track any stats by age group.

Unofficially, @Logiqx maintains a senior rankings list using official results data. Those rankings currently start at age 40 (at the time of the competition results) and can be filtered by decade from there, over 40, over 50, ...

In general: given the median age I've seen at comps I'm sure people speed-solving in their mid 20s probably feel like older cubers and I couldn't say they're wrong.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Lid

WCA
2008LIDS01
First "full-step" sub 10 today!!! Previous I only had 2 sub10 with skips before.

L2 F2 U B2 U L2 D2 F2 R2 D U' B' R U F2 R2 F2 D R' D' R'
x D' F2 R2 D2 // x-cross (4)
U' L' U L // pair (4)
y' U L' U2 L2 U L' // pair (6)
U L' U2 L U L' U' L // pair (8)
[ l' U L' U L U2 L' // OLL - fat sune (7)
R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U // PLL - Jperm (14)
43 HTM (~4.5 tps)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My all-out assault on the over-60 records this weekend is done now. 😁 If no one else beats my times this weekend, I should hold the #1 spot for over-60 cubers for 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, megaminx, Square-1, skewb, clock, OH, fewest moves singles and 2, 3, OH, clock, pyraminx, skewb, and fewest moves averages. I'm over-60 #2 for 2 and pyraminx singles and for 3BLD single and mean.

Great fun! It will be interesting to see how many weeks it lasts before the really good cubers start aging into the category. It was so nice and lucky to get to a competition with so many events just a couple of weeks after my birthday!! Much thanks to the organizers of the Ohio State Expo Open for a really fun and well-run competition.

Edit: It's official now.

Last edited:

CLL Smooth

WCA
2012LOET01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First comp in 4 years today. I got a pb Ao12 while practicing at the venue (12.983). Managed to get sub-15 average on first round (14.732) despite 2 16.xy solves.
Update: the rest of my stuff didn’t go too well but someone got NAR single (3.8x)

Last edited:

Imsoosm

First comp in 4 years today. I got a pb Ao12 while practicing at the venue (12.983). Managed to get sub-15 average on first round (14.732) despite 2 16.xy solves.
Update: the rest of my stuff didn’t go too well but someone got NAR single (3.8x)
You were at Rose City 2022??
That's cool, I've also wanted to witness the creation of a record.

theos

WCA
2017LAWR04
You were at Rose City 2022??
That's cool, I've also wanted to witness the creation of a record.
I was at a competition when Zayn Khanani set a 2x2 WR Average, except I was across the street grabbing lunch at the time. I was at a competition when Stanley Chapel set a 4BLD WR Single, except I was solving and blindfolded at the time. And I was at World Champs 2019 when the Skewb WR single was set and, like everyone else in attendance, I completely missed it.

Last edited: