• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Old timer...

Manxkiwi

Hi there, firstly I am 56! So not sure how far off the oldest member I am? Ha ha.
I started cubing back in the 80s (in the UK) when it all kicked off. Went quiet for a few years, but got back in to it in 2015. What with YT etc. I finally learnt how to complete the 4x4. Ditched simple method and learned cfop (2 look, plus a few extra algs), on 3x3 obviously.
Current PB is 21s on 3x3, Ave over 500 is 36s, which is more I indicative of my level. I really like solving all the cubic puzzles, 2x2 - 15x15, although I do have a square1 too.
Looking forward to checking in here occasionally. I am also thinking of doing a competition maybe?
Cheers from NZ....

Waffles

Hi there, firstly I am 56! So not sure how far off the oldest member I am? Ha ha.
Actually, you’ll be happy to hear that you aren’t the oldest user here, and there’s a thread for older cubers. (I can’t really say anything and don’t r/woooosh me please guys). Also gl with getting sub-30, that seems like your next big goal.

What cube do you use?

Manxkiwi

Actually, you’ll be happy to hear that you aren’t the oldest user here, and there’s a thread for older cubers. (I can’t really say anything and don’t r/woooosh me please guys). Also gl with getting sub-30, that seems like your next big goal.

What cube do you use?
Ha ha, do we know the age of the oldest cuber on here?

Yes, I'd be very happy with sub 30 over a large number of solves.

I have a number of cubes I use. My ex-main 3x3 was a 354M, now have a 356M, which I really like. I like the satin finish now, at first I wasn't sure. I also have a Valk power M and have recently bought a second hand GTS3M, which is quite 'clacky' (new word??), but I really like it. I also recently bought a Little Magic M 3x3 which I'm very impressed with for a budget cube, once lubed, as it's very sandy ootb. Mine was anyway.
Larger cubes I have are Little Magic 5 and 7. Mini WuQue 4x4. XMan 6x6. 8 to 12 are all Moyu mf's, plus the Moyu 15.

I also still have a range of original 80s cubes and shape mods and have recently been buying a few early cubes on Ebay and a similar site here in NZ, purely from a collection perspective.

Cheers.

Reactions: qwr

Manxkiwi

Hello there and welcome.

Age is just a number. I hope you enjoy speedcubing a lot.
Thanks, yes I do enjoy speedcubing very much. I'm seeing improvements quite a lot, which keeps the motivation to keep pushing.

In the last few weeks I've been getting more and more sub 30 solves, which I think is purely due to doing lots of solves. I haven't learned any new algs recently. But recognition is definitely improving. Ave over 5 is 32, over 12 is 33 and over 50 is 34 now, so coming down. Now I really want to get a sub 20 single. I think that's a pretty big milestone for improving cubers..

Waffles

Thanks, yes I do enjoy speedcubing very much. I'm seeing improvements quite a lot, which keeps the motivation to keep pushing.

In the last few weeks I've been getting more and more sub 30 solves, which I think is purely due to doing lots of solves. I haven't learned any new algs recently. But recognition is definitely improving. Ave over 5 is 32, over 12 is 33 and over 50 is 34 now, so coming down. Now I really want to get a sub 20 single. I think that's a pretty big milestone for improving cubers..
The one problem with getting a single a lot faster than your current average is that it’s going to take you a while to break the PB, so you won’t experience the thrill of getting a new best. I personally average about 16 and my pb single is 7.93, a ridiculous scramble from when I averaged about 26. It’s stood as my PB since April now (April 1st actually, and I’m not joking) and the only PB’s I’ve broken has been ao12 (and even then that’s like 12.5). Same thing with me on 4x4, I have a 40 second single and average about 1 minute.

But, you aren’t wrong, getting your first sub 20 single/average is kind of a turning point for cubers in 3x3.

Manxkiwi

Yes I fully understand that, my old single PB was 25s. I sat on that for 4 years until the other day, when I got a 21. Of course a lot luck was involved; 2 moves for cross, then f2l pairs just made themselves apparent. I consciously thought 'don't panic, this will be good'. As I said, my next real goal is sub 30 ave over at least 100. Lucky single PBs are just a bit of bragging rights, Haha.
PS, I'm spending more time now solving per week, which is driving my improving times at the moment.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ha ha, do we know the age of the oldest cuber on here?

Here is the list of over-80 solvers from the WCA who have given permission to reveal their age category:

Not sure who is the oldest on that list, or who is the oldest cuber on here, but I know for sure that Rune and Tom have posted here.

The subject of oldest member came up occasionally in this thread (where the above list was first being created); you might find the discussion there interesting:

Manxkiwi

Here is the list of over-80 solvers from the WCA who have given permission to reveal their age category:

Not sure who is the oldest on that list, or who is the oldest cuber on here, but I know for sure that Rune and Tom have posted here.

The subject of oldest member came up occasionally in this thread (where the above list was first being created); you might find the discussion there interesting:
Thanks for that Mike, definitely some interesting reading there. Makes me feel quite young! Ha ha.
Still improving at the moment. I'm getting around 30% of solves under 30s now and got another 21 the other day, which makes two in a week or so!

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
my personal experience (I avg about 27 now) is that after learning 4LLL I could only really improve my times by practicing intuitive F2L and cross because it was not easy to speed up anything else without learning more algs (going through PLL rn)

Manxkiwi

my personal experience (I avg about 27 now) is that after learning 4LLL I could only really improve my times by practicing intuitive F2L and cross because it was not easy to speed up anything else without learning more algs (going through PLL rn)
Interesting, I should look into intuitive I guess? I initially used Badmefistos cases, but there are thousands of case solves in f2l eh?
I am currently waiting on a couple of Monster Go cubes. The U/T type. I'm going to put the extra four black corners in one cube, from the other, so it becomes a a stickerless cross only Gan cube..

Reactions: qwr

Manxkiwi

I have seen a yt video showing that sub 20 is more than possible using 4lll. You need very good look ahead, recognition and little or no pausing.
I've looked (not seriously) at full OLL, but frankly many of the algs are just about as long as 2 2L cases. I enjoy my cubing very much, but don't think I'll be able (or want) to invest the time and effort required for full LL.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Interesting, I should look into intuitive I guess? I initially used Badmefistos cases, but there are thousands of case solves in f2l eh?
I am currently waiting on a couple of Monster Go cubes. The U/T type. I'm going to put the extra four black corners in one cube, from the other, so it becomes a a stickerless cross only Gan cube..
there are 40 something basic cases, even more if you consider edges in different slots and solving into different slots (what birdf2l tries to document) but most cases are simple with only a few special cases

also badmephisto is very old, check out speedcubedb for some more modern resources though it shouldn't matter for basics