• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Old McDonald - 2019 WCA world championship qualifier

old mcdonald

WCA
2019MCDO05
2019MCDO05 . Sydney, Australia. - Hi All - I am pretty pleased with myself for learning the cube. Born in 1973, I never really gave it a thought until my 9year old came home from school showing off to me that he could solve it. I have had a lot of fun watching him improve his cubing, and we went to Canberra for a fun trip for my boys first official solves at the Nationals last year. We had a great time. When the Worlds 2019 were announced, we have decided to make a trip of it in July school holidays. I picked up his cube about April this year, and asked him to show me some basics. Did the Daisy, the white cross and the first two layers In about a month, and about another month later the rest, watching Felix on cubeskills . I reckon I "got it" about the first week of May 2019. I booked a cheap flight to attend one of the last Australian qualifying rounds for the Worlds. I am pleased to say that in my first comp, I got a 1:40. For an old bloke in 2 months, I think that is pretty impressive. I am now a qualifier in a world championship - How good is that.!!! Hoping to see other mums, dads giving it a go at the World championships. My Goals will be to do 5 solves under the 2 minute mark at the world championships. My boy is hoping for 5 solves under the 1 minute at the world champs. Looking forward to browsing the forums for inspiration and tips. I have no plan on learning any more algorithms. Happy to just get a bit quicker on the fingers with beginners method. Hope I can officially call myself a " speedsolver" and be a member of your pages. Cheers.

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
2019MCDO05 . Sydney, Australia. - Hi All - I am pretty pleased with myself for learning the cube. Born in 1973, I never really gave it a thought until my 9year old came home from school showing off to me that he could solve it. I have had a lot of fun watching him improve his cubing, and we went to Canberra for a fun trip for my boys first official solves at the Nationals last year. We had a great time. When the Worlds 2019 were announced, we have decided to make a trip of it in July school holidays. I picked up his cube about April this year, and asked him to show me some basics. Did the Daisy, the white cross and the first two layers In about a month, and about another month later the rest, watching Felix on cubeskills . I reckon I "got it" about the first week of May 2019. I booked a cheap flight to attend one of the last Australian qualifying rounds for the Worlds. I am pleased to say that in my first comp, I got a 1:40. For an old bloke in 2 months, I think that is pretty impressive. I am now a qualifier in a world championship - How good is that.!!! Hoping to see other mums, dads giving it a go at the World championships. My Goals will be to do 5 solves under the 2 minute mark at the world championships. My boy is hoping for 5 solves under the 1 minute at the world champs. Looking forward to browsing the forums for inspiration and tips. I have no plan on learning any more algorithms. Happy to just get a bit quicker on the fingers with beginners method. Hope I can officially call myself a " speedsolver" and be a member of your pages. Cheers.
Hello. Are you, or have you ever been, in the posession of a farm?

old mcdonald

WCA
2019MCDO05
The Worlds 2019 in Melbourne was an absolutely fantastic and fun experience. My 3x3 Times came down from 1min.40 single and 2min.03average down to 1min 02 single and 1.08 average. I got a crowd cheer for a 1.10 that was a buzz as it was my first solve, and everyone knew i was the slowest solver going into worlds.

Lots of fun being part of it all and representing your country. Now that i am close to that minute, I think i have a need to keep practicing, and will possibly give CFOP a go after i break a minute.

At the moment using beginners method, I do yellow center daisy, then swap all four leaves to white cross, then first layer white corners, then middle layer , then yellow cross, then the top using two sets algs, the first the 'headlight alg' to the left, and then the last one from cube skills.

I feel I am reasonably good at doing the above now, but i know it is really slow. Out of all the really slow steps of beginners, which one should i 'fix first' . to possibly knock off those few seconds i need to break the minute.

Leery

WCA
2015LANG03
At the moment using beginners method, I do yellow center daisy, then swap all four leaves to white cross, then first layer white corners, then middle layer , then yellow cross, then the top using two sets algs, the first the 'headlight alg' to the left, and then the last one from cube skills.

I feel I am reasonably good at doing the above now, but i know it is really slow. Out of all the really slow steps of beginners, which one should i 'fix first' . to possibly knock off those few seconds i need to break the minute.

I'd say making the daisy on yellow. In my opinion, you'd save a lot of time from directly placing the cross edges onto white. I'm not sure if this video will be too basic for you but it helped me back when I was learning to get a bit faster haha.

Paradox Cubing's Tutorial on Cross

David Zemdegs

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Worlds 2019 in Melbourne was an absolutely fantastic and fun experience. My 3x3 Times came down from 1min.40 single and 2min.03average down to 1min 02 single and 1.08 average. I got a crowd cheer for a 1.10 that was a buzz as it was my first solve, and everyone knew i was the slowest solver going into worlds.

Lots of fun being part of it all and representing your country. Now that i am close to that minute, I think i have a need to keep practicing, and will possibly give CFOP a go after i break a minute.

I think I was pretty close to going in as the slowest solver in worlds :)

old mcdonald

WCA
2019MCDO05
I think I was pretty close to going in as the slowest solver in worlds :)
It was an honour to compete as Father and Son at worlds against other great Father Son combinations. Thanks to yourself, Ethan, Edward, Kerrie and all the organisation for putting on such a fabulous event, It will be fondly remembered by my family forever. I feel anything cubing related now will be impossible to replicate after such a fabulous fun and well organised event. I felt a little too green in my cubing knowledge after just 1 event to help out as staff at worlds, but feel free now to hit me up to help you out in learning to enter results or runner in future events that i might see you at. Thanks very much to Felix for the cubeskills site also and all he has done for cubing. Best Wishes Brett.

Reactions: qwr

David Zemdegs

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It was an honour to compete as Father and Son at worlds against other great Father Son combinations. Thanks to yourself, Ethan, Edward, Kerrie and all the organisation for putting on such a fabulous event, It will be fondly remembered by my family forever. I feel anything cubing related now will be impossible to replicate after such a fabulous fun and well organised event. I felt a little too green in my cubing knowledge after just 1 event to help out as staff at worlds, but feel free now to hit me up to help you out in learning to enter results or runner in future events that i might see you at. Thanks very much to Felix for the cubeskills site also and all he has done for cubing. Best Wishes Brett.
Ask to join the 'Senior cubers worldwide' facebook group if you havent already.

Reactions: qwr