• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New to speed cubing and need have a lot of questions

adamaap

So i got a normal Rubik's cube for Christmas and learned it really slow how to solve it in beginner way so i didn't do much with it, but 2 weeks ago i found a speedcuber on youtube and started learning the 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL.

Now the questions i have:

-My fastest solve time atm is 58 seconds, using a normal rubiks cube and the 2look method, is this fast? Can i still improve using this cube/method?

-I'd like to buy a new, actual speedcube, the one i'd like to buy is dayan zhanchi, from eachbyte.com, is this a good choice/site?

-When do i need to learn the full Fridrich? Or is their another better way? I've already looked at the algorithms, and don't really want to start atm, i thought to first train myself in speed using the 2look method, and then switch to fill Fridrich, is this a good choice?

Other tips are also welcome

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
you can certainly still improve just using 2look OLL and PLL on a Rubiks Brand cube. But when you get the feeling the cube is holding you back because its so hard to turn and you lose alot of time, definately switch to a speedcube. Dayan Zhanchi is a good choice for sure, but i cant say anything about the site you named.

since you have started using fridrich F2L and 4look last layer, it would take the least effort to just learn full OLL/PLL.

consider however, that there are different methods as well that have the same potential and you might just wanna look into them and see if one of them suit you better (the big ones would be Roux, ZZ and Petrus). There are alot of tutorials/tips/Guides on this site and youtube.

Good luck cubing!

adamaap

Well i did a little of looking up on methods, and Friedrich is used the most right? And since i already know the 2 look, learning it might be a little easier right?

About the site, do you have other sites that are reliable? My main problem is shipping since i'm from Belgium, so i prefer sites with free shipping.

Thanks for replying :)

Bindedsa

WCA
2014NURU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
-My fastest solve time atm is 58 seconds, using a normal rubiks cube and the 2look method, is this fast? Can i still improve using this cube/method?
Learn F2L and you should be able to get down to 20 seconds without an issue.

-I'd like to buy a new, actual speedcube, the one i'd like to buy is dayan zhanchi, from eachbyte.com, is this a good choice/site?

The Zhanchi is a great cube, but you might want to look at others. This thread might help you.
-When do i need to learn the full Fridrich? Or is their another better way? I've already looked at the algorithms, and don't really want to start atm, i thought to first train myself in speed using the 2look method, and then switch to fill Fridrich, is this a good choice?
Since you just started you might want to look at the Choosing a method thread, If you want to stick with Fridrich this is a great thread. Finally, If you have any additional questions you can go here.

Well i did a little of looking up on methods, and Friedrich is used the most right? And since i already know the 2 look, learning it might be a little easier right?

About the site, do you have other sites that are reliable? My main problem is shipping since i'm from Belgium, so i prefer sites with free shipping.

Thanks for replying :)
CubeZZ, Lightake and Wallbuys all have free shipping.

Last edited:

adamaap

Well i already use F2L...Make cross, F2L, 2look PLL and 2 look OLL is what i use...At this moment the biggest problem is that i need to take pauses during my F2L to think, because it doesn't go automatically, but i'm practicing to death :)

Thanks for the other threads i'll take a look at them :)

brian724080

You should definitely buy a speedcube first. I'm not sure what you mean by 2 Look method, but I'd assume 2 Look OLL and PLL (4LLL). You can definitely improve on that method, but try to learn PLL ASAP.

Yes, the Zhanchi is great, and I've heard great things about that site.

You shouldn't go directly to full OLL unless you are done with full PLL (I'd say sub-2 everything). Take a look at "Choosing a Method" linked in my signature, it should provide you with very good information. I used to average 17-18 with CFOP, but since then I switched to ZZ, and now I'm 15-16 with ZZ.

See above

Bindedsa

WCA
2014NURU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You shouldn't go directly to full OLL unless you are done with full PLL (I'd say sub-2 everything). Take a look at "Choosing a Method" linked in my signature, it should provide you with very good information. I used to average 17-18 with CFOP, but since then I switched to ZZ, and now I'm 15-16 with ZZ.

Sub 2 all PLLs before learning OLL? I can barely do that, learn OLL when you stop having to think about PLL, which only takes a short while. You don't have to, but if your like me, wanting to learn everything you can as soon as possible, that is about as early as I would start.