• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Sitewide Rules

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
rules said:
Examples of Spam Posts and Threads
-Threads with titles containing excessive characters/punctuation.
-Posts with blatant disregard to spelling and grammar. This is a forum, not a chat room.
Yes! Thank you! I get so sick of seeing thread titles with 3 questions marks in a row and seeing posts from people that repeatedly ignore spelling and grammar. :)

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think +1 posts should be allowed in some instances, along with a lot of other things in the rule. You might want to add somewhere that there are exceptions, and the exceptions are decided by the moderators.

I dont think that these rules are meant to be like "THIS IS FOR EVERYCASE RAWR"

More like when used correctly then its fine. The reason that they have to be strict about the rules is because people have been abusing the site quite a bit recently.

However i think that if someone says +1 then explain why they agree, a forum is a place for discussion not just saying, "yea am agree but am not explain reason why"

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Use common sense. Just because a header reads "Stay on topic" doesn't mean that it doesn't apply in the off-topic forum.

I didn't mean it in that sense. What I mean is that off-topic has kind of been a place to spam a bit on the odd occasion for no reason other than to make pointless posts. I don't see this as harmful as long as it is in the off-topic section where people can ignore it if they like, and posts don't count towards post count, for those of us that really care about our post counts (I will get third place back!)

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@qqwref: The thing is, those "don't post X" rules are in there because these posts were, more often than not, inappropriate for the threads they were in and/or did not contribute anything to the thread. These two points are the main reasons that these restrictions exist now.

If these posts happen to be appropriate for their thread (I imagine that 'this' and '+1' posts may be appropriate some poll or voting thread), then I doubt they will be modded.

As far as knock-offs go, the V-cube ones were the only example specifically mentioned in any draft of the rules, and I am led to believe that that rule was crafted with only that example in mind. I think that it would be hypocritical and silly if the intent was leaning towards your 'option b', considering that the hardware forums is littered with shops selling these puzzles. So, I too lean towards your 'option a'.

@Dene: If you want to go make an image macro thread there, go ahead. Off-topic Discussion will likely not be moderated much more than before. Mods have to use common sense too.

Every mod is probably going to have his/her own interpretation of the rules (however slight), so I can only speak for myself... did I turn into a spokesperson for this or something? :p

Chapuunka

WCA
2010JUDD01
Sorry but what does "image macros" mean?

Urban Dictionary said:
A internet forum phrase originally coined in Something Awful forums (like nearly every other internet phrase, really), this is an image with a (hopefully) funny phrase relating to the situation in the thread. They're usually intended as offensive, but are generally seen as a rather low form of "entertainment" and don't generate much heat in a flame war unless the person or thread it's aimed at is particularly sensitive.
Thread Topic: cute kittens
PostWhore: "My cat is really cute!"
Joe Poster: "My cat is also very cute."
Poster X: image of a man in spandex with the words "THIS THREAD IS GAY" superimposed over it

PeterNewton

I don't agree with a bunch of this stuff but usually I'm not the one doing the stuff in question :p
So who's going to be enforcing all this? Seems like a lot of work for you mods. GL.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The only one I have a problem with is the rule about image macros (yeah you know why). Images aren't abused that much here. Is there a need to be that harsh?
Personally, as a SS member, I'm kinda tired of seeing random images in on-topic discussions. It's not cool when 3 kids like anime and constantly have sub-memes that no one else understands nor cares about.
Off-topic? I'm totally up for misc images. My definition of 'off-topic' includes things actually in said section, and fail threads that either should not have been made, or should be in off-topic. (although I do try to limit this :p)

I think +1 posts should be allowed in some instances, along with a lot of other things in the rule. You might want to add somewhere that there are exceptions, and the exceptions are decided by the moderators.

Yeah. +1 is just a way of saying "I support and/or agree with this person" along with other stuff.
Although I've probably +1'd a handful of times throughout my posts, I have to say that they've been used way too much here.
At the very least, if you *have* to "+1," have the decency to pretend you care enough than to merely write that; perhaps comment also on WHY you like the idea.

Last edited:

PeterNewton

Yeah. +1 is just a way of saying "I support and/or agree with this person" along with other stuff.
Although I've probably +1'd a handful of times throughout my posts, I have to say that they've been used way too much here.
At the very least, if you *have* to "+1," have the decency to pretend you care enough than to merely write that; perhaps comment also on WHY you like the idea.

Lets say someone writes a big speech on why hybrid cubes are awesome. He/she has already justified the point. The poster who says +1 doesn't need to say why he/she likes the argument; it's a vote of support for a particular perspective.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lets say someone writes a big speech on why hybrid cubes are awesome. He/she has already justified the point. The poster who says +1 doesn't need to say why he/she likes the argument; it's a vote of support for a particular perspective.
You do know that threads actually have a rating system, right?
Like, you can actually rate threads. :eek:

We should do this more often - I'm just as guilty.
Go to the top of the page, on the right, just above the first post, and you'll see "rate this thread."
I just did so, for example.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't agree with a bunch of this stuff but usually I'm not the one doing the stuff in question :p
So who's going to be enforcing all this? Seems like a lot of work for you mods. GL.

With what do you disagree? Here's your chance to provide some input on the new rules; it's not like they're set in stone forever.

Rikane

WCA
2009CHAN17
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've seen some forums have individual post ratings. Maybe this could work too? One in particular that I remember (but not where it's from) has it just under the spot where we have the skype, youtube, facebook things and it has +x or -y depending on the ratings and possibly the names of people who upvoted.

I have no idea how much work this requires, but it's just an idea.

iasimp1997

WCA
2010SIMP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good rules.

These rules seem okay. But are occasional sarcastic/amusing pictures allowed? I'm pretty sure you all know what I mean... A good example could be the "What does IDK mean?" thread.
I'm just glad we aren't getting banned for putting "Christian Cuber" in our signatures.
:tu

Last edited:

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've seen some forums have individual post ratings. Maybe this could work too? One in particular that I remember (but not where it's from) has it just under the spot where we have the skype, youtube, facebook things and it has +x or -y depending on the ratings and possibly the names of people who upvoted.

I have no idea how much work this requires, but it's just an idea.

You mean, a system like Stack Overflow?

These rules seem okay. But are occasional sarcastic/amusing pictures allowed?

I'd try to limit them to the Off-Topic Discussion forum, if you must use them. Generally speaking, these images don't contribute anything meaningful to the threads that they're in otherwise.

Rikane

WCA
2009CHAN17
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I guess, but for each post individually. I can't, for the life of me, find out where I saw it. Unfortunately, I guess I won't be much help unless I can find the forums I saw it on again.

krnballerzzz

WCA
2006KANG01
Finally, something that will hopefully help restore speedsolving to what it once started as, a friendly place to talk about cubes! Gone are the days of Youtube like threads where people constantly troll each other and create a negative environment~

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Respect Others' Intellectual Property
Do not promote stolen/copied/knockoff products. Most puzzle makers have patents on their products, and it is against the law to steal or remake their idea as your own. Discussion about where to buy knockoffs is not allowed.
As you know I am strongly Rubik's minded, but not allow to discuss "knockoff" products is not possible to judge in many cases
If you are strict you can only talk about the Rubik 3x3 , in addition the moderator have to check for each puzzle who is the inventor .

I admire this goal, but what the above in your mind when you wrote it?
What was the intension of this rule?

Last edited:

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
Respect Others' Intellectual Property
Do not promote stolen/copied/knockoff products. Most puzzle makers have patents on their products, and it is against the law to steal or remake their idea as your own. Discussion about where to buy knockoffs is not allowed.
As you know I am strongly Rubik's minded, but not allow to discuss "knockoff" products is not possible to judge in many cases
If you are strict you can only talk about the Rubik 3x3 , in addition the moderator have to check for each puzzle who is the inventor .

I admire this goal, but what the above in your mind when you wrote it?
What was the intension of this rule?
In the past I've always made the distinction based on the existence of a current patent.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04

Even if you agree with the content of someone else's post, surely you must have at least some unique perspective to contribute aside from mindlessly typing two characters. If you honestly don't have anything more to add, you might as well refrain from posting.