• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] New member beginner cuber learning fast, I think

I’m old enough to remember playing with the original 80’s Rubik’s Cube. It was quite frustrating with no Internet or other reference or community to access. Now with an abundance of information and many methods to choose from I have found a renewed interest. After extensive YouTubing and research I learned the beginner method then started into intermediate F2L , getting my solve times averaging 6min and best solve time around 3:40 (I’m pretty sure this was due to easier F2L pairs on that solve). Starting F2L really set my solve times back until I got better at it. I saw my main stumbling block was solving the more difficult F2L pairs so I started just practicing my F2L. I’m not much on memorizing individual algorithms based on memorized cases, but more interested in understanding the cube more intuitively, so instead of trying to memorize dozens of algorithms I was trying to learn intuitive F2L by practicing and taking my time understanding the mechanics of using the unsolved slot and U turns to manipulate the pairs. When I first looked at Roux it was terribly confusing, but after improving my intuitive F2L I went back and found 2 really good Roux series and now it makes much more sense. I’m practicing Roux more now but still working on both Roux and F2L. I’ve found I like starting with Roux solving Orange to the left and Red to the right while simultaneously orienting Blue to the front and Green to the back while solving the pairs, then solving the two bottom edges to White on bottom, completing the F2L. Then I’ll use F R U R’ U’ F’ to orient the top edges, R U R’ U R U2 R’ U to solve the top edges, U R U’ L’ U R’ U’ L to orient the corners, and R’ D R D’ (I guess that’s and upside down sexy?) to solve the corners to finish. I’ve gotten my average down to 4:54 and by best is 3:07. I’m hoping to improve on that with practice. I still feel a little clunky, although having bought a second cube already has helped smooth things out a bit. I’ll probably upgrade to a top shelf cube in the next couple weeks. I’m open to any thoughts or advice on what I have discovered so far. I will continue to try new methods and see what sticks but this seems to be what’s working for now.

What cube do you use?

It’s LightningPro by Cornertrace off Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/LightningPro...ing+pro&qid=1565430667&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I understand there are many clones and rebranding so I don’t know what it really could be, but so far I like it. It has a smooth movement and works quite well with the exception of some cube twist, but I also think that will improve with my handling skills. I don’t mind spending the money on a high end cube but not until I have a better idea of what I want.

Zain_A24

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello

Glad to hear from an "original cuber" :).

I would advise you to keep an eye on the "Which cubes to buy" forums until you have a better ideas of what you are after. I would recommend purchasing from cubezz.com. With free international shipping and very cheap prices, you can pick up great cubes for a fraction of the price. I would definitely recommend them if you do consider purchasing cubes later in your speedcubing progression.

[URL]https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/which-cube-should-i-get-up-to-date-recommendations.70960[/URL]

"Practice" is the key word. Keep practising and you will see your PB's and averages drop in no time.