• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Wayyyyyyyyyyyy new to speedcubing

Thread starter #1
Hey, I'm a female cuber living on the east coast(Maryland to be exact), and I'm really really bad at cubing. I started speedcubing less than a month and a half ago, before I turned twelve, so I guess that gives me an excuse to be terrible. My times are really inconsistent, from 30-60 seconds. My PB is 26.6x seconds. I know beginners F2L, 2-Look OLL, and I'm working on 2-Look PLL. I'm working on being color neutral, since I hear that it's harder to switch to color neutral later. I'm not planning to focus on improving on any other WCA puzzles other than 3x3 anytime soon.

So that's mostly everything about my cubing history, but I have a few questions:

1. Am I at a good pace? Do I need to improve faster?
2. What were your times after you've been cubing for about 2 months, both PB and averages?

Last edited:

TDM

Staff member
WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
TDM028
1. I averaged 1:20 after 3 months, so yes, you're improving at a good pace. If you want to improve faster though, then you can! You just need to put more effort in. After finishing learning 2-look PLL you'll want to learn intuitive F2L, then learn PLL, then learn OLL. Most people learn F2L and PLL earlier on (before 30 seconds) and then leave OLL for later (under 20 seconds) since it's so many algorithms and it's not very useful, but it helps a bit.

2. Can't remember.

WCA
2012BASK02
Hey, I'm a female cuber living on the east coast, and I'm really really bad at cubing.
tbh, 30-60s with a 26s PB isn't bad for how long you've been cubing. At this point I would recommend finishing 2L PLL(and being color neutral), and then work on your lookahead and inspection. Try to keep a steady pace through your solve, at least until the last layer. Also you should work on your recognition, since for slower cubers it takes a while to recognize last layer cases.

WCA
2015PANG02
YouTube
molarmanful
1. You're fine -- if anything, you're improving faster than most people do. But I'd work on the consistency, because 30-second time deviations are a bit much. Perhaps you should get better at the bad cases (if you aren't already doing so).
2. At 2 months, I was a month into my cubing hiatus. But before that, I was a 45-seconder with a 30-ish second PB.