• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Need help with choosing a method

Spartan101

Hi guys I can solve a 3 x 3 using the standard beginner method. I would like to start speed solving but have no idea what method I should pick.

aznanimedude

depends on personal preference

the de facto most popular atm is friedrich (also a LBL layer by layer method), which is what i started with but personally if i could go back, i'd probably start with something like petrus or roux, at least so i would have started off doing block building rather than having to pick it up at a later time now that i've switched to ZZ method

it really is personal preference though, but above all, just have fun and enjoy

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
I went Beginners --> Petrus --> Fridrich, and it worked pretty well. Petrus is a great method to help you really learn more about how the cube works and learning different concepts. However, it's probably not the fastest out there, so after you become proficient with Petrus you may want to switch to another method.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the best way to be good with any method is to be good with every method. I average around 23 with Petrus, but I can sub 28 Fridrich and Roux. I definitely agree that Petrus is a good way to go before Fridrich since once you switch you'll be seeing X-crosses with ease.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hope you read this, I think you should try out a less conventional method such as Waterman or Columns First. I am not going to say for certain that these methods are the "best" but what people constitute as the "best" is a method everyone uses(CFOP). If you do decide to go with CFOP, please do something different than OLL/PLL. Learn CLL/ELL or some other variant.

I am not saying this to claim methods to be the best, I am just saying this so their might be a little variety in solving. Seeing 100 CFOPers for every non CFOPer gets old.

Edit: Fine I was being petty towards the CFOP disease and the fact that I want to see other methods out there. The most important thing is to experiment with as many methods as you can to decide what suits you best. But please don't be a SheepFOP to your Fridrich shepherd.

Last edited:

drewsopchak

WCA
2010SOPC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hope you read this, I think you should try out a less conventional method such as Waterman or Columns First. I am not going to say for certain that these methods are the "best" but what people constitute as the "best" is a method everyone uses(CFOP). If you do decide to go with CFOP, please do something different than OLL/PLL. Learn CLL/ELL or some other variant.

I am not saying this to claim methods to be the best, I am just saying this so their might be a little variety in solving. Seeing 100 CFOPers for every non CFOPer gets old.

OLL/PLL>cll/ell. Learn them both though.

pdilla

Don't go learning a certain method because others are bored of seeing the same old thing. Try the different methods out and find out which one feels best to fit your own style.

CubeRoots

WCA
2012LIVS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My two cents is that you should learn intuitive F2L, 2 look OLL, PLL and then go to the ZZ method which in my opinion has a lot of potential, especially if you learn it at this early stage you will be doing EOLine/EOCross with ease

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Basing from personal experience, I'd suggest using a LBL method until you average ~35 seconds. After there, start taking a look at F2L, as well as learning more OLL and PLL(assuming you're using the YCDTRC way of beginner solving).

Or just learn Roux. That works too.