• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Need Help Organizing a Competition

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
For a moment, I was thinking Kentucky and was about to yell at you. :p

MA is Tim's jurisdiction now, so if there's anybody that'll delegate that, it'll probably be him. Tim graduated from MIT, so they have some new organizers now, (and they'll be graduating this upcoming year) and Amy will be graduating from Harvard, so it would actually be a great idea for people to get more involved. There was a long time when that area had no competitions at all, so I'd love to see that area continue to flourish.

If possible, people should attend the seminar at Nationals about how you can help organize and get involved. It will be pretty important in the whole scheme of things.
I won't be at Nats but I can try to pick up some techniques. I'd be glad to organize competitions to supplement once Harvard and MIT stop having them. I have two more years at my high school, so I could maybe do some in 2013-2014 after all the Harvard and MIT guys graduate.

I'll get in contact with Tim soon and discuss this kind of stuff with him.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just contacted Jim a few days ago and he agreed to let me organize a competition. I'm thinking of having one in November or something at Skyline in Ann Arbor. I'm working on getting a venue right now because I don't know who to contact in the school to use the commons area on a saturday or sunday. Should I make a thread for date/events?
Best to just e-mail the principal(is her name Mrs. Jackson? I totally forgot -__-) and make sure the janitorial staff know you're there. Apart from that, you should be good.

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
Best to just e-mail the principal(is her name Mrs. Jackson? I totally forgot -__-) and make sure the janitorial staff know you're there. Apart from that, you should be good.
That email would be fun to write.... No one can get a hold of her from what I can tell. I'm probably going to email the counselor and get her to tell me who to contact or get her to contact them since they might actually listen.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought I would mention that I'm planning a competition November 3 in Fishers Indiana - the venue is already booked. It's not that far away, so you might try to shoot for a date not too close to that.

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought I would mention that I'm planning a competition November 3 in Fishers Indiana - the venue is already booked. It's not that far away, so you might try to shoot for a date not too close to that.
I think I'm going to aim for something near the end of November or early December. I'm a little worried about finals because it is right after Thanksgiving in my school and some people might not show up just because of finals.

MaikeruKonare

WCA
2013CONA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't want to get in trouble for double posting a thread so I'm going to post my question here~

I'm starting a cube club at my high school this year, and I want to host a competition. (I plan on asking Mike Hughey to be the delegate most likely, because his Indiana comp was moved to August this year) I have been to a competition and I'm going to more next month. Using my high school as the venue shouldn't be a problem (nice gym w/ bleachers and pizza places/nutrizone across the street). I plan on hosting this in November (Jan/Feb if it doesn't work out with a delegate) of this year (2013).
My questions:
Do I have to provide the speed stacks timers?
Do I contact WCA then make the competition cubingUSA website?
When I do host it, do I send all of the entry money to WCA (will the delegate handle that)?
Any other tips would be appreciated~

Last edited:

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good to hear that you like to take some initiative , Bob was a bit harsh to you but I know how much work it is when you must take over . In general we try to train organizers, it begins when we spot competitors willing to help during competition.

as Bob explain in his post you can also check his guide page) in addition try for your unofficial competition to use cubemcomps.com see facebook for contact.

Hope to inspire you to take actions
Ton

Last edited:

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
Good to hear that you like to take some initiative , Bob was a bit harsh to you but I know how much work it is when you must take over . In general we try to train organizers, it begins when we spot competitors willing to help during competition.

as Bob explain in his post you can also check his guide page) in addition try for your unofficial competition to use cubemcomps.com see facebook for contact.

Hope to inspire you to take actions
Ton
I was harsh to him? I don't recall saying anything at all!

MaikeruKonare

WCA
2013CONA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow~ Bob Burton, thank you so much. Your web site taught me all of my PLLs and about half of my OLLs.

Unofficial competition? I'm going to be contacting a delegate, it will be an official WCA competition.

I contacted speed stacks to rent displays and timers for $12 a set, but I'm hoping the delegate that I get will own some.