• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Nazar Lenyshyn has been banned from the WCA.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Nazar Lenyshyn, the “Ukrainian NR holder” for 3x3 has finally been banned for what appears to be a permanent period of time. All of his solves on his WCA profile have been wiped to oblivion. The reason for this, if you’re in the loop, is obviously his cheating, but if you are not in the loop, he stops timers early and appears to have been faking most of his solves. Figure one to this Reddit post.
His new WCA profile look: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/persons/2017LENY01

There’s no question this ban was completely deserved, but there are others with different points of view, which will always be respected. Any other thoughts?

Sion

He seems like the kind of person to casually walk out of a bank holding golden bars and a weapon whilst claiming that he's rich.

I can't get over how he thought he could get away with this with a camera right in front of him.

I know this may sound radical, but perhaps the WCA should make it a requirement/put more effort into recording all solves with a camera of sort to prevent someone from doing something this dishonest again. Imagine what would've happened had somebody not recorded this and he got away with it.

Sion

Here is an area that smart cube technology could help. Mate up a mat timer to a smart cube that only detects when a cube is solved (i.e. don’t use the smart cube for scrambling) If the cuber hits the mat before the cube is solved, it registers a DQ.

The issue with this is that there would need to be a standard for the used smartcube hardware, and a very likely chance that a smart-cube dominated environment would kill the 3x3 market entirely, especially since there would need to be one unified form of software used.

This would mean that designers would need to work around having smartcube technology implemented in their cubes, which could significantly set back the development and progression of cube hardware. This is certainly more of a white elephant than an actual blessing, and as a designer myself, I'd rather want to design innovations than work around limitations.

BMcD308

I've done football, soccer, baseball, basketball, and wrestling as a student athlete. At my school I was on a trivia team. I've raced bicycles, motorcycles and RC cars. I've entered model rocket competitions. I was competitive in shooting sports. I can think of an example of cheating in each and every one of those. Some people just want to be declared the winner, and it really does not matter to them that they were not really the winner. I watch my kids have foot races in the yard, and they all cheat then argue with each other about who really won. Sadly, it's human nature.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Nazar's case was just announced on the WCA page here: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/posts/wdc-monthly-digest-july-2019

And more importantly I think it would be note worthy for everyone to read the last section of the digest in regards to Olivér Perge with his instance of cheating but having the courage and thoughtfulness of coming forward with it and admitting it, which is something that is important to keep in mind for everyone. Yes it was not good that he cheated, but the fact that he came forward with that years later is something to admire.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Recall that guy who competed in BLD who would switch to a different cube with a familiar scramble when the judge was distracted. He couldn't even actually DO a BLD solve and he competed in BLD.
[He] Cheated at Worlds too. What a disgrace to his family.
EDIT: (By disgrace I mean Imagine if you heard he had cheated at a comp. Don't want people to think I'm a hater.)

Last edited: