• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Nano Timer, Android speedcubing timer

Maybe you can add in the option to make a 'solve type' for multibld/relays, so that you can apply penaltys to the individual cubes (which would be the steps)

Thread starter #42
Maybe you can add in the option to make a 'solve type' for multibld/relays, so that you can apply penaltys to the individual cubes (which would be the steps)
I have a multibld point in my todo list but it's low priority for now compared to others. I don't know exactly how i would implement it yet but it would generate a number of scrambles based on the selected number of cubes, adjust the total time and make a sound when the time has passed. But i still have to think about how it would fit in the app as it's quite different from the rest, with penalties handling among a "set" of cubes etc.

I have a multibld point in my todo list but it's low priority for now compared to others. I don't know exactly how i would implement it yet but it would generate a number of scrambles based on the selected number of cubes, adjust the total time and make a sound when the time has passed. But i still have to think about how it would fit in the app as it's quite different from the rest, with penalties handling among a "set" of cubes etc.
Ok I'll look forward to the multibld timer (but I first have to relearn bld Lol)

Thread starter #44
Version 1.0.2 of Nano Timer is now online!

The following functionalities/changes have been added:
- Scrambles for Square-1 and Clock
- Average of 50
- Shortcut to solve types editing from solve types list
- Improved scrambles format based on type and orientation
- Displayed averages in history details
- Option to choose big cubes notation system
- Set Skewb and Pyraminx scramble sizes to 15
- Minor bug fixes and improvements

WCA
2014FILH05
YouTube
tacito007
When I'm using the hold to inspec feature, if I turn on the auto-rotation in my phone the inspection screen glitches if the phone rotates while inspecting.
Just a bug I've found, but it's not a major issue.

Edit: It only happens if you change the rotation from horizontal to vertical. Vertical to horizontal is fine.

Last edited:
Thread starter #46
When I'm using the hold to inspec feature, if I turn on the auto-rotation in my phone the inspection screen glitches if the phone rotates while inspecting.
Just a bug I've found, but it's not a major issue.

Edit: It only happens if you change the rotation from horizontal to vertical. Vertical to horizontal is fine.
Yes it is indeed the case when switching from horizontal to vertical during inspection. There is a problem with the way android handles its views to handle orientation changes when the screen is pressed. That is the reason why i prevented to switch orientation during inspection, but it doesn't seem to have any effect when starting from landscape mode. I'll look into it for next release.
Thanks for commenting!

WCA
2012MCMI01
I really love the features on this timer, but the interface seems kind of ... dated. Could you update this to meet Holo or Material design guidelines? If this timer looked a little nicer, it would be one of the best!

Thread starter #48
I really love the features on this timer, but the interface seems kind of ... dated. Could you update this to meet Holo or Material design guidelines? If this timer looked a little nicer, it would be one of the best!
I have indeed received multiple feedbacks about the oldish interface. I will work on it to try to make it nicer and more in line with the current android look-and-feel. This should be up either in the next version or in the one after, depending on the time it takes to finish implementing the other changes.
Thank you for your feedback!

Thread starter #49
Version 1.1.0 is now online with the following changes:

- Improved graphical interface:
Updated to the recent Android GUI standards to make it prettier and more convenient to use.

- New "Session details" timer window:
Accessible from the timer screen menu, this new dialog window allows you to see the details of the ongoing session (requires to have started a session for that solve type). You'll be able to see the session average, mean, solves count and also the detailed list of solve times with best/worst times.

- Total solves count now shown in history:
I received multiple requests to add the solve type total solves count. This is now directly displayed in the history screen.

Tell me what you guys think about the new GUI, and if you have any comments/suggestions.

Last edited:
I really like your timer. I got a now pb yesterday, 13.06, and I noticed that in the menu you can barely see it. Maybe you could add a graph feature to see stats differently

Thread starter #51
I really like your timer. I got a now pb yesterday, 13.06, and I noticed that in the menu you can barely see it. Maybe you could add a graph feature to see stats differently
I am not sure I understand what you mean. Are you talking about the screen with the history, or the timer screen?
When you get a new record, the "Lifetime best" text will become yellow and you'll also see "New record!" displayed in the top bar. But it will become normal once you leave the screen or if you start a new solve.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Are you talking about the screen with the history, or the timer screen?
When you get a new record, the "Lifetime best" text will become yellow and you'll also see "New record!" displayed in the top bar. But it will become normal once you leave the screen or if you start a new solve.
I mean with the history. so that you can visualize your progress

Thread starter #53
It is in my plans to have graphs to be able to see the progression. It will be implemented but not yet in the next release because some changes are more urgent.
I might also add something to the history items to make it clear when there is a personal best (either coloring or an icon next to the time).

The priorities for the next version are random-state scrambles for 3x3x3 (maybe also for 2x2x2) with possibility to pre-generate them, but also timer screen adaptation to display last/best averages instead of means, and add more details in the session details window.

I added a "graph" point in my todo list to make sure to not forget about it.

It is in my plans to have graphs to be able to see the progression. It will be implemented but not yet in the next release because some changes are more urgent.
I might also add something to the history items to make it clear when there is a personal best (either coloring or an icon next to the time).

The priorities for the next version are random-state scrambles for 3x3x3 (maybe also for 2x2x2) with possibility to pre-generate them, but also timer screen adaptation to display last/best averages instead of means, and add more details in the session details window.

I added a "graph" point in my todo list to make sure to not forget about it.
Okay. I can't wait for all these updates!

Thread starter #55
Looking for beta testers

I am working on a major update of Nano Timer and I am looking for beta testers who are interested in testing it out.

This new version will include:
  • Random-state scrambles for 3x3x3 and 2x2x2
  • Option to choose different scramble qualities (= max number of moves) to suit both new and old devices
  • Pre-generation of scrambles to allow you to generate a quantity of scrambles when you decide it to preserve your battery (by default, a cache of 50 scrambles is kept in memory, and new ones are generated when that cache gets smaller than 25)
  • Timer screen redesign: the bottom table will now display last/best averages instead of means. The two current "Avg of" fields will now be "Solves count" and "Mean of 3".
  • A new solve type mode made specially for blind. You will be able to create a special blind solve type to have a timer screen adapted for it. That screen displays Last/Best means of 3, but also the global accuracy (success rate percentage), the averages of your last 12/50/100 successes, and the accuracy for the last 12/50/100 solves.

Everyone is welcome to beta test, it would also be nice if some blind solvers would apply to test the new blind mode.

There is currently a beta version with random-state scrambles for 3x3x3. The other changes are implemented for the most part, but I am still working on the last changes. The version with the above features should be up within a week or so.

If you are interested in beta testing, you can send me the mail address you are using in the Play Store (send me a MP). I'll add you to the beta testers list and you'll receive the update through Play Store like any normal update.
I will be happy to hear what you guys think of it and to hear your suggestions!

Last edited:
Thread starter #56
Version 1.1.1 is now released! This update contains some major changes:

• Random-state scrambles for 3x3x3 and 2x2x2
• Scrambles pre-generation
• Timer screen fields changes (means to averages, mean of 3, solves count)
• New blind solve mode with additional blind-related statistics (accuracy, last/best mean of 3, average of successes)
• Session details window improvements
• Various GUI-related fixes and improvements

Thread starter #57
Nano Timer Pro is now available, with a startup discount from 1.40$ to 0.99$ valid for one week (until the 16th of January 2015)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cube.nanotimerpro

Nano Timer Pro unlocks the following features from the free app:
• Export times to CSV
• No ads
• To come up next: progression graphs

In addition to that, the version 1.1.2 of the free app is also released with the following features/changes:
• Added random-state scrambles customization options
• Option to automatically generate scrambles when device is charging
• Added support for Pro version
• Various small fixes and improvements

Nano Timer Pro is now available, with a startup discount from 1.40$ to 0.99$ valid for one week (until the 16th of January 2015)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cube.nanotimerpro

Nano Timer Pro unlocks the following features from the free app:
• Export times to CSV
• No ads
• To come up next: progression graphs

In addition to that, the version 1.1.2 of the free app is also released with the following features/changes:
• Added random-state scrambles customization options
• Option to automatically generate scrambles when device is charging
• Added support for Pro version
• Various small fixes and improvements
Sweet! Already bought and realised that I don't know what CSV is lol.
suggestion: maybe add a way to see the individual sessions after you've started a new one

Thread starter #59
Hi chenkar, thank you!
CSV is just a simple file format that you can read by opening it with a file reader, or with Excel. The first line is the columns headers while the others contain the data itself.
Next step is to add graphics, but i'll take your suggestion into account!