• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

my unpoppable rubiks.com DIY cube

ThePizzaGuy92

WCA
2007SEID01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I bought this cube from Hdskull and it popped on me a lot, but so I cracked it open and started playing with the tension and I noticed the washers that come with the screws on rubiks DIY cubes don't nearly fill the hole they are set in, making the entire center wobble a lot further than it should and [what I came to find out] is the reason they pop so easily. I replaced the screw/springs with a type-A cube's screw/spring set. before I did this it would pop like twice in every average, but I did an average of 100 yesterday [my first try at that ever] and I got 0 pops. It still hasn't popped!

I'm not sure if I'm the last person to find this out, or even if there is a topic like this already, but I thought I'd share.

jtjogobonito

WCA
2007TAMA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
i have the tension pretty tight, but it's still pretty loose. It pops, at most, once per 30 solves. This cube is now my main cube(after 1 week). I've gotten a 12.99 average,all nonlucky. I also got a 12.16 average of 5, all nonlucky. This cube is amazing to the third power. (amazing cube)

H

hdskull

I bought this cube from Hdskull and it popped on me a lot, but so I cracked it open and started playing with the tension and I noticed the washers that come with the screws on rubiks DIY cubes don't nearly fill the hole they are set in, making the entire center wobble a lot further than it should and [what I came to find out] is the reason they pop so easily. I replaced the screw/springs with a type-A cube's screw/spring set. before I did this it would pop like twice in every average, but I did an average of 100 yesterday [my first try at that ever] and I got 0 pops. It still hasn't popped!

I'm not sure if I'm the last person to find this out, or even if there is a topic like this already, but I thought I'd share.

I should've tried that before I sold it to you, damn, lol. jk.:)

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
Heh, the only cubes I've that pop are:
3x3x3 DIY (yet to be prepared)
V-CUBE 6
V-CUBE 7

And that's it. I've several other DIYs and store-bought, 4x4x4s, 5x5x5s and none of them pop. Some feel like they might but even when I'm being aggressive with finger tricks, they don't pop :)

Although, someone dropped my best cube the other day and the tension is all messed up. Methinks the core is a little damaged :-/ blarg

Tim.

Swoncen

I only got 1 3x3x3 (25th anniversary) and it never popped. My 6x6x6 pops in almost every move and my rubiks 4x4x4 pops sometimes