• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My Tips for Becoming Color Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think going cold turkey isn't a very structured way to do it and thus many people fail because they see how much faster their original color is.. My way you never need to be tempted because u are not ever doing your original color.

So do any colour but your original.

Challenge accepted.
To decide what cross to do, I'm just going to do what the last move is (always scramble white top green front. Let's say last few move is B, I'd do green.)

Damn it no! That is not what CN is about! Don't pre-chose your cross, go with the best cross available.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
gahh. you were so close to sub10. Now I have to watch as you stop improving :(

Well I guess we will have the sadness of not reaching sub-10 together :(

But as jskyler said, it's an investment; sure, I won't reach sub-10 which I would've non-CN in month but still, after that, I'll be so much more versatile...
I have always been considering colour neutrality since I've been 'relatively fast'(which is unfortunate, wish it was earlier), but never got round to it. I may as well do it now.

Why don't you do it with us? It'll be fun (I hope) :D

Last edited:

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good advice, jskyler.

I would add: A color filter isn't just for corners. For example, if you have a blue cross, you don't just filter on blue corners, but also *non-green* edges.

And you probably know your fixed cross color scheme backwards and forwards. You need this same insight on the other 5 crosses in order for the easy ones to pop out at you, so during each single-color 5-day pounding-in period, give special attention to memorizing the given cross scheme. Knowing that scheme will also help the 2nd layer edges to pop out at you more easily.

@5BLD: I think blocks are harder in general than crosses, but the principle is the same--you'll see patterns instead of specific colors. I put myself through a month of CN 2x2 blocks and by the end they were no trouble at all and I had a self-satisfied grin. Go for it!

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great to hear teller, it would be more useful for blocks although a bit harder to get used to, so it seems.
I've started practicing! Ill do three days on yellow, as well as this evening. Then five days on each other colour. I've got two months, by then I hope I will-no,-will be sub-10.5 CN for the next UK competition. If not, who gives a ****? :)

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great to hear teller, it would be more useful for blocks although a bit harder to get used to, so it seems.
I've started practicing! Ill do three days on yellow, as well as this evening. Then five days on each other colour. I've got two months, by then I hope I will-no,-will be sub-10.5 CN for the next UK competition. If not, who gives a ****? :)

Your thirst for success in unquenchable. High hopes I have for you.

The cross/ colour adjustment is easy on pair insertion IMO, but making the cross really freaks me out.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is he really stopping his improvement?

Yes, CN is a tangent from his normal progression.

I if he decided to learn Coll would u say this?

No, because CN requires a much bigger investment of time. (Also I'm pretty sure he already knows COLL).

I CN is just like learning a new alg or WV, I it is an investment.

Very much not. If CN was just like learning a new alg, many more people would be CN.

Well I guess we will have the sadness of not reaching sub-10 together :(

Speak for yourself, I'm not stopped improving, y'know ;)

But as jskyler said, it's an investment; sure, I won't reach sub-10 which I would've non-CN in month but still, after that, I'll be so much more versatile...

Haha you think it's going to be as easy as he says it is.

Why don't you do it with us? It'll be fun (I hope) :D

You didn't read my thread, did you?

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This video doesn't really explain anything.
You're saying "look at other colours like you look at white".. RIGHT! That's the whole point in CN.

Also this whole 1 month thing, that's just a made up figure until someone actually does it.

Also, you said you guarantee that I can be dual colour in 5 days? What's do I get if I'm not.

Last edited:

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, CN is a tangent from his normal progression.

No, because CN requires a much bigger investment of time. (Also I'm pretty sure he already knows COLL).

Very much not. If CN was just like learning a new alg, many more people would be CN.

Speak for yourself, I'm not stopped improving, y'know ;)

Haha you think it's going to be as easy as he says it is.

You didn't read my thread, did you?

All I have to say is you won't know until you try man, and those who are trying my method will be the proof one way or another.

Do you want to know what I did to switch over? I started to solve the cross on different sides each time I started the puzzle...

Again, this will work for some but not others, and I personally tried my approach and it worked, I now I am sharing it for those for whom this won't work

This video doesn't really explain anything.
You're saying "look at other colours like you look at white".. RIGHT! That's the whole point in CN.

Also this whole 1 month thing, that's just a made up figure until someone actually does it.

All I have to say is you won't know until you try man, and those who are trying my method will be the proof one way or another.

I did it in a month and I don't think myself to be superior to anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Because you were 30s... 30s is slow.

Do you really think that in one month, I can become as good with other colours as I am with green? I've been solving with green for 5 years now.

Also, your "method" is just motivation and dedication.

Cool Frog

As a CN Roux solver, I am going to be One block only for a while, simply to allow my self to see more difficult blocks in less moves and know how to deal with more cases than those that come up with in most solves.

I admit sometimes I get solves where I honestly have no idea where to start in a CN solve(because of consistent "easier" cases I haven't learned to deal with hard cases), there is nothing that jumps out at me while rare this can ruin an average.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Because you were 30s... 30s is slow.

Do you really think that in one month, I can become as good with other colours as I am with green? I've been solving with green for 5 years now.

Also, your "method" is just motivation and dedication
Try it and see, worst case scenario you end up the same or more than likely two color neutral, At best it works. I realize that it will be harder for you, but I am certain that you can change.. It takes one month to change a habit and I believe that applies here to.. If you think I am wrong then try it fullheartedly and see.. Consider the losses and the potential gains. Plus you can still learn other things, and I am not saying that you shouldn't practice other things, and just practice them color neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
You know, I wasn't color neutral at first. I started on Green all the time. BUt not long after I learned (Which I think is the main reason this was possible), I said, heck, I'll do the best cross I can find. No need to be confined to one color. After that I was CN. Still am.

I didn't know switching was hard until people said it was. I just did it.

Same way I learned CFOP, I knew it was faster. Even if it wasn't faster at that time. But I knew I would do better once I learned it. And it didn't disappoint.

So yeah, Color Neutral wasn't really a challenge because I knew it would work better. And thus didn't mind doing worse until I could do it consistently. Of course, this was really early in my cubing career. So I'm sure that had an impact on how easy it was for me to switch.

And the switch didn't take long. It was just, bang, I'm going to be color neutral, Bang, I'm color neutral.

Except, sometimes I'm not sure whether or not it was the best thing. Having a quick cross is nice yes, but in the event of having nothing to work with, I don't have a backup, thus I just gotta pick the nearest color and just go with it. Plus Its harder to recognize Edge pairs when you are searching for a cross. I can't even consistently do that yet.

With one color, you know what you are looking for, you know how to identify whats next. And being able to identify the cross and do it a second or two faster doesn't really seem like that good of a sacrifice in comparison.

But, I'm CN, so thats that.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel

How do you not see that this applies to yourself, too? Saying that anyone can be CN in a month is completely made up.

You said a month because you switched in a month when you were really slow.

It is really /really/ harder the faster you get. Please stop lying to people.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
How do you not see that this applies to yourself, too? Saying that anyone can be CN in a month is completely made up.

You said a month because you switched in a month when you were really slow.

It is really /really/ harder the faster you get. Please stop lying to people.

I second this, There is no way I could've switched like that if I wasn't so new to cubing. I cannot imagine being around 15 seconds and doing it. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Things like this really annoy me, this thread needs to be closed or removed for spreading misinformation.

Many fast people have tried to switch for months and months and no one has ever succeeded. This thread has already convinced people that it is worth their time. All that's going to happen is they will try and realise that's they're still heavily colour biased and evetually give up trying to switch. Switching takes a very very very long time if you're already fast.

I made my colour neutral thread to stop this kind of misinformation spreading. This is obviously a response to that thread, and I attempted to stress how difficult switching was. Without evidence, the contrary to what has been observed to happen has been stated as if it was a true fact, wasting people's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.