• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My progression thread | new strategy for improving | Currently First Block

How long will it take for me to be sub-6 ao500 roux

• 1 year

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • 1.5 years

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • 2 years

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • 2.5 years

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • 3 years

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 5 years

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Gonna quit

Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
It still has the potential to be near the level of the big 3. I don't know much about waterman, but in theory Mehta petrus and Nautilus would be able to get similar times if more people put the time in to learn them. Even though petrus is agreed to be slower than the big 3, there have still been sub 10 solvers proving that it is still a solid speedsolving method.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
It still has the potential to be near the level of the big 3. I don't know much about waterman, but in theory Mehta petrus and Nautilus would be able to get similar times if more people put the time in to learn them. Even though petrus is agreed to be slower than the big 3, there have still been sub 10 solvers proving that it is still a solid speedsolving method.
I definitely think it's better than Waterman, Petrus and HK. In my opinion the "Best-3" are CFOP, Roux, and Mehta (In no particular order) with ZZ and Nautilus following close behind. Of course I should learn it before I reach that conclusion.

StrategySam

I definitely think it's better than Waterman, Petrus and HK. In my opinion the "Best-3" are CFOP, Roux, and Mehta (In no particular order) with ZZ and Nautilus following close behind. Of course I should learn it before I reach that conclusion.
I think water roux has a lot of potential because it is algorithmic and L7E is very effincent. It also is about the same amount of moves as mehta

Last edited:

tsmosher

WaterRoux L7E is tremendously underrated, though recognizing L6EP with your R layer offset takes some getting used to. (Roux with NMB, which is how I solve, has the same issue.)

If you guarantee that DR (or FR) is always the unsolved edge, we are talking about 24 algs and a quick setup step to enable L7E.

Personally, I prefer solving one U layer edge then doing modified LSE with the unsolved edge. (Since in the way I run into L7E, the 7th edge is always oriented.) or just inserting it with S' U2 S / S R2 S' R2.

Oh, and Nautilus is good stuff.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
I definitely think it's better than Waterman, Petrus and HK. In my opinion the "Best-3" are CFOP, Roux, and Mehta (In no particular order) with ZZ and Nautilus following close behind.
Umm.. not yet. Big 3 imho are still CFOP, Roux and ZZ. Mehta has to get a larger following before it becomes a major method and with all these people at the ZMS Discord server opposing Mehta, I doubt it happening in the foreseeable future. Seriously, someone must get fast and shut their mouths lol (sorry if I offended people. I was in a bad mood)

StrategySam

Umm.. not yet. Big 3 imho are still CFOP, Roux and ZZ. Mehta has to get a larger following before it becomes a major method and with all these people at the ZMS Discord server opposing Mehta, I doubt it happening in the foreseeable future. Seriously, someone must get fast and shut their mouths lol (sorry if I offended people. I was in a bad mood)
I totally agree with with you. A method needs someone that is good with it to show the flaws and strengths. You never really know how good at speedsolving it is until a fast speedsolver does it.

WCA
2022MCCO11
I said my opinion for the "Best-3", not Big-3. ZZ still is big-3.

Humble Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Sub 6 on roux is a short term goal. My plan is to be sub 6 with every speedsolve method. CFOP, Waterroux, zz, mehta TDR/petrus,
That’s super ambitious, it’s possible with maybe a few methods, but definitely not all of them (maybe in like 15 years or something…) especially considering some of those are underdeveloped still comparatively to some other more user methods

StrategySam

That’s super ambitious, it’s possible with maybe a few methods, but definitely not all of them (maybe in like 15 years or something…) especially considering some of those are underdeveloped still comparatively to some other more user methods
I will only do speedsolving methods that are similar. This will make it way easier. Like ZZ, ZB, petrus, Mehta-tdr all use ZBLL and Mehta, waterroux, roux, and nautilus all have the same first step (first block). Mehta-OS, roux, waterroux, and nautilus end in Last edges.

Last edited:

EvanCuber

I will only do speedsolving methods that are similar. This will make it way easier. Like ZZ Cfop-vls, petrus, Mehta-tdr all use ZBLL and Mehta, waterroux, roux, and nautilus all have the same first step (first block). Mehta-OS, roux, waterroux, and nautilus end in Last edges.
Using all these methods will be very hard, because you will have to learn about 1500-2000 algorithms which you will probably eventually forget because you are not repeating them some of them enough. And if you are willing to learn that much algs, you might as well just learn 1LLL

WCA
2022MCCO11
Using all these methods will be very hard, because you will have to learn about 1500-2000 algorithms which you will probably eventually forget because you are not repeating them some of them enough. And if you are willing to learn that much algs, you might as well just learn 1LLL
1LLL has 3915 algs... That is a huge difference and very inefficient. A lot of algs are similar or the same for different methods and if you have them all down you won't have to big of a problem. Thanks to tricks like EO, VLS, etc. 1LLL is not worth it and most of it probably would have horrible fingertricks

StrategySam

I have decided not to be full CN with roux and to be duel color instead. I think being duel colored is better because it is good for lookahead. For example after F2B it is way easier to predict EO when doing CMLL and during SB it is way easier to predict CMLL. Basically I think it will remove a lot of pauses in my solves.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
You might want to have better short-term goals. Sub-6 is going to take years, at best. Maybe aim for sub-20 for now.

Also, why does everyone think CN roux is hard/not worth using? There's really nothing that makes it any more difficult than x2y. Block building is just as easy, CMLL and EO recognition is trivial, and LSE isn't any harder.

StrategySam

You might want to have better short-term goals. Sub-6 is going to take years, at best. Maybe aim for sub-20 for now.

Also, why does everyone think CN roux is hard/not worth using? There's really nothing that makes it any more difficult than x2y. Block building is just as easy, CMLL and EO recognition is trivial, and LSE isn't any harder.
Alright. You've changed my mind lol. After trying CN L10P it really isnt as hard as I thought and it will only get easier as a practice.