• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My General Cubing Progress

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
So now i have some news. My dad is going to sign me up for my first comp. I have 2 months yet to learn algorithms. Here is what i have planned. I am going to sign up for 2x2-5x5, OH, pyra, and squan. Starting tomorrow when i get to my cousins) or when i get home monday as i dont have my 3x3 with me, im going to start learning algorithms again.

The algorithms ima learn, in order, are: OLL, 2x2 CLL, COLL, probably some pyra algs, and then some squan algs. if you think i should learn these in a different order or other algorithms, please tell me and where i should learn them in the order. WV will probably be added somewhere at the end. Thanks!

p.s. ima have fun getting a trainer on mobile...
Cool! Comps are really fun :)

WCA
2017OWEN01
So now i have some news. My dad is going to sign me up for my first comp. I have 2 months yet to learn algorithms. Here is what i have planned. I am going to sign up for 2x2-5x5, OH, pyra, and squan. Starting tomorrow when i get to my cousins) or when i get home monday as i dont have my 3x3 with me, im going to start learning algorithms again.

The algorithms ima learn, in order, are: OLL, 2x2 CLL, COLL, probably some pyra algs, and then some squan algs. if you think i should learn these in a different order or other algorithms, please tell me and where i should learn them in the order. WV will probably be added somewhere at the end. Thanks!

p.s. ima have fun getting a trainer on mobile...
What do you average on the events your signing up for.

BlastKracken7

YouTube
Visit Channel
What do you average on the events your signing up for.
well i have a lot of time to bring down my times.
2x2 its like 4-6, 3x3 is 18-24, 5x5 is like 2:40-2:50, and OH, Squan, and Pyra i havent done in a while.
i was planning on practicing all of them on the way

Name of thread changed from "My algorithm learning process" to "My General Cubing Progress" because i will be posting things other than algorithm learning

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
many people who know COLL don’t even use it for 2h as it is only marginally better than OCLL PLL
In some cases it might be even worse, to be honest. ZBLL or VLS is a much more useful alg set to learn since for the most part it doesn't bar you from getting easy cases. COLL is only really useful for learning how to predict corners IMO since outside of OH it's not worth it, especially since 1/2 of the possible EPLL's are worse than a lot of the adj corner PLLs

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
PLL is different because it directly improves your times and is necessary to be fast whereas many people who know COLL don’t even use it for 2h as it is only marginally better than OCLL PLL

It's worse in many cases, it's only worth it for OH or as a stepping stone to ZBLL

In some cases it might be even worse, to be honest. ZBLL or VLS is a much more useful alg set to learn since for the most part it doesn't bar you from getting easy cases. COLL is only really useful for learning how to predict corners IMO since outside of OH it's not worth it, especially since 1/2 of the possible EPLL's are worse than a lot of the adj corner PLLs

ZBLL is definitely more worth it than VLS

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really don't see the point of learning COLL, if you can just do ZBLL. It is way more algs, but probably a lot better. Then again, the recognition for ZBLL is probably really slow.
It's not really all that much worse than COLL or CLL, or any 1LCLL alg set since all you need to look at aside from corners is the edges, which are much easier to recognize since they are oriented.

BlastKracken7

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I'm seeing a lot of feedback about how I shouldn't learn coll. I'm only learning it as it will help later for recognition of zbll. Oh and because alg knowledge

anyway I'm starting up again and here are my current stats:
Currently Learning: OLL (43/57) cross: 100% (7/7) L: 77.7% (21/27) Line: 46.6% (7/15) Dot: 100% (8/8)

Tablet froze 1 time and Google crashed 1 time while typing this

Edit:
Just before I start for today, I've been updating my algorithm book with the algs I'm learning. As I said before I don't find my alg book reliable for oll atm so I'm updating it slowly.

After I went to update my progress yesterday, I found out I forgot to count 2 algs that I knew and that's why it says 3 and not 5 in my bio (as I'm posting this)

one last thing, as I said with my tablet being unreliable (freezing and Google crashing), I'm only going to check this thread 1.5 times a day. I'm saying 1.5 because the second one is after I update knoll to what I learn, which is 3 olls a day plus refreshing what I learned yesterday.

Anyway cya!

Ok so I need some help for optimal settings for someone my speed.

I was messing with the gan xs's settings and I'm wondering what I should use at my speed. I went to the slowest setting (I think) and I got a 12 5 solves in. I. wondering if I should use the slowest setting or not. Would help to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok so I need some help for optimal settings for someone my speed.

I was messing with the gan xs's settings and I'm wondering what I should use at my speed. I went to the slowest setting (I think) and I got a 12 5 solves in. I. wondering if I should use the slowest setting or not. Would help to know.
You should use whatever setting feels the best to you, it's all personal preference.

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
I really don't see the point of learning COLL, if you can just do ZBLL. It is way more algs, but probably a lot better. Then again, the recognition for ZBLL is probably really slow.

Every single thing you said is 100% correct. That said, let's consider why every single thing you said is useless for most people.

COLL is 40 algs. And of those 40 algs, basically everyone agrees the S/AS cases are a waste of time, which takes us down to 28 algs. I can learn that in an afternoon, two at most. Figure out which ones don't really help you (spoiler, a good many are actually really nice especially given the increased chance of PLL skip) and forget those, maybe you're left with 15-20 algs. As an intermediate cuber who's just getting into how to learn algs and wants to figure out the next steps to getting faster, this is a fairly easily achievable goal with a pretty favorable effort/reward ratio.

ZBLL is 493 algs. That is a many-months-long learning process for all but the few crazy people who grind through it in a few weeks. Let's not pretend there are very many of those people, and let's not pretend that those people are doing ANYTHING cubing related except drilling algs for that time period. Mid-fast cubers who want to become faster and who have learned how to learn algs learn ZBLL because it's the next step in their journey.

Or we could put it this way:
"I really don't see the point of buying $60 running shoes, if you can just buy $200 running shoes. They are way more money but probably a lot better. Then again, it probably takes a long time to save up that much money."

Yes, $200 shoes should be objectively better than $60 shoes, just like ZBLL should provide objectively more benefits than COLL. However, there's a cost to everything, whether money or memorization/practice or whatever, and many people decide the benefits gained aren't worth the cost to attain them, at least for the present time.

inb4 "ZBLL recog isn't actually slow if you do it right". That's totally fair. Most people only think it's slow, because if it takes months to learn the alg set it's going to take even more months to get the visual recognition down solidly.
inb4 "But you can just learn ZBLL in chunks at a time". What do you think COLL is?
inb4 "I only average 25 seconds and I'm learning full ZBLL before full OLL". Sincere congratulations if you do it. You are again the minority and it's noteworthy but not representative of the larger population.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Every single thing you said is 100% correct. That said, let's consider why every single thing you said is useless for most people.

COLL is 40 algs. And of those 40 algs, basically everyone agrees the S/AS cases are a waste of time, which takes us down to 28 algs. I can learn that in an afternoon, two at most. Figure out which ones don't really help you (spoiler, a good many are actually really nice especially given the increased chance of PLL skip) and forget those, maybe you're left with 15-20 algs. As an intermediate cuber who's just getting into how to learn algs and wants to figure out the next steps to getting faster, this is a fairly easily achievable goal with a pretty favorable effort/reward ratio.

ZBLL is 493 algs. That is a many-months-long learning process for all but the few crazy people who grind through it in a few weeks. Let's not pretend there are very many of those people, and let's not pretend that those people are doing ANYTHING cubing related except drilling algs for that time period. Mid-fast cubers who want to become faster and who have learned how to learn algs learn ZBLL because it's the next step in their journey.

Or we could put it this way:
"I really don't see the point of buying $60 running shoes, if you can just buy $200 running shoes. They are way more money but probably a lot better. Then again, it probably takes a long time to save up that much money."

Yes, $200 shoes should be objectively better than $60 shoes, just like ZBLL should provide objectively more benefits than COLL. However, there's a cost to everything, whether money or memorization/practice or whatever, and many people decide the benefits gained aren't worth the cost to attain them, at least for the present time.

inb4 "ZBLL recog isn't actually slow if you do it right". That's totally fair. Most people only think it's slow, because if it takes months to learn the alg set it's going to take even more months to get the visual recognition down solidly.
inb4 "But you can just learn ZBLL in chunks at a time". What do you think COLL is?
inb4 "I only average 25 seconds and I'm learning full ZBLL before full OLL". Sincere congratulations if you do it. You are again the minority and it's noteworthy but not representative of the larger population.
WHAOJ I FOUND A MORR01 WCA ID.